Hope for a Chaparral with upgraded steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Hope for a Chaparral with upgraded steel?

Post by foofie »

Let me start by saying that I have no problems with the Chaparral and XHP- just always wishing for more :D

In the past, the Sage series was to explore different locks. The Chaparral was to explore different handle materials. Both lines kept the same blade steel (except the first gen Chaparral in s30v).

Now, in the new reveal, we see the Sage1 coming with Maxamet. If the Sage can now change both lock type and steel - I think that means the Chaparral could change both scale material and steel? :eek:

Past Taichung steels include CTS-204P. Current steel includes 20CV, s90v and fan favorite LC200N.

Any interest? I would love a micarta Chaparral - probably better paired with 20CV or s90V. Using the frn mold, I can imagine an LC200N model being very popular as well.
steelcity16

Re: Hope for a Chaparral with upgraded steel?

Post by steelcity16 »

I've been hoping for a Cru-carta Chap and an LC200N Chap LW Salt for a long time now.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would love to see any of the steels you have mentioned, but in my gut I would think AEB-L would make the Chaparral a pocket scalpel!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Holland

Post by Holland »

I could go for an M4 chaparral
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am perfectly fine with XHP (actually really like it!).

That said: I think the Chap is the perfect small knife and by that almost can´t get enough variants!
And more steel choices would get more people to try this amazing design.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I've been asking for a green canvas micarta and K390 Chapparal... something tells me it will happen, because how can we have a Maxamet Sage 1 (soon), but no K390 Chaparral? I wouldn't be mad about S90V and linen micarta...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Ultra premium steel Chaparral would be cool but the FRN Chap is not for me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Nyet! XHP is fine.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JMM

Post by JMM »

There are a number of models that'd I'd love to see different steels in, but in all honesty, the Chaparral isn't one of them. XHP is an excellent steel, and easy to get wicked sharp. I would leave well enough alone... if they made a version with Micarta I would absolutely buy one in a second, I'm going to pick up the new Birdseye Maple version for sure.
joe58

Post by joe58 »

Only thing I wouldn’t care for would be the likely upgrade in pricing to go along with upgraded steel. I’m not sure there would be that noticeable of performance difference between XHP and a “better” steel in real world use. Since the chaparral is a fairly light duty model anyways.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I love the Chap in XHP. XHP is probably one of my favorite steels. I personally don’t see a lot of benefit in an “upgraded” Chap steel, but if it gets more people interested, who am I to say?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i love xhp and originally scoffed at the title of this thread, but i like salts even more. taichung already has lc200n... a lw chaparral salt would easily replace my df2 salt as my favorite small knife (aside from a ladybug of course).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:16 pm
i love xhp and originally scoffed at the title of this thread, but i like salts even more. taichung already has lc200n... a lw chaparral salt would easily replace my df2 salt as my favorite small knife (aside from a ladybug of course).
Yeah now that you mention it a Chap LW Salt would be pretty amazing. Thanks for making me rethink my views :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Xhp gets the job done and doesn't leave me wanting.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'll jump on the happy with XHP bandwagon! No need for different steel as far as I'm concerned
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
foofie

Post by foofie »

Hmm. I guess I will hope more for some micarta scales rather than steel upgrade. I agree that for 2mm slicer, XHP is more than adequate.
Last edited by foofie on Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Perfectly fine with CTS-XHP as it is one of my favorite steels.

That said AEB-L would be another great option.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'll buy a micarta Chap in virtually any steel. Might cave on the maple in the interim, looks very nice.
:spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Said it above: I personally am more than happy with XHP and don´t need a version in another steel at all.

But I guess this is also about which models generally "deserve" to get more variants, be it concerning steel, colors, SE / CE / PE versions or whatever.

Now the Chap for me really is pretty unique even in Spydercos very diverse lineup, especially due to its reasonably (but even for Spyderco uniquely ) thin ffg blade, that contributes a lot to its great cutting performance , but also due to its overall thinness while still offering great ergos and an amazingly solid construction.

Now if you look how many variants other models get that are more "mainstream" (NOT meant negatively, but just in the sense that there are in fact many options in the 3mm to 3.7mm bladestock out there anyway!!), I´d think that it could not hurt if a rather unique model like the Chap got some more variants too. So people who just happen to prefer other steels or even more so who´d like to experiment with different steels in this uniquely thin blade stock could try the Chap too....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I think a lot of steels and handles are gonna sweep both the chap and the sage. There's been a lot of variations in the last few reveals, and if the attention the leaf blade taichungs are getting is a sign of any kind, then I think we can expect they'll continue to get more options as time goes on.

The sage and the chap are here top stay, I can only hope this means we'll get a sage 2 in something other than s30v, because MAN I love the shape of that thing. Faded blue anno and m390 perhaps? I can dream...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v