S35vn on the Tenacious...what does it mean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: S35vn on the Tenacious...what does it mean?

Post by JuPaul »

araneae wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:04 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 pm
Is the polestar different enough from the more popular tenacious?
It has a choil. That's a big difference for a lot of people.
It's a "sorta choil" on the Polestar. More of a finger groove on the scales. Definitely not a 50/50 choil like other spydies.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

araneae wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:
What choil?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
araneae

Post by araneae »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:17 pm
araneae wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:
What choil?
My bad, I was thinking Raven I guess. Polestar just has a bit more of a guard I suppose.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

araneae wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:19 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:17 pm
araneae wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:
What choil?
My bad, I was thinking Raven I guess. Polestar just has a bit more of a guard I suppose.
Nah you're good I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me lol. Polestar will be quite the steal if it ever gets discontinued.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

$100 for a Tenacious? Unless the lightweight version has increased the fit and finish level I really doubt this will sell.

The Tenacious is a good design and makes good sense at $50. Not at double.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:54 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:02 pm

Also a Polestar and a Bow River. What Chinese models would you like to see in s35vn?
a bow river would be SWEET
Yes, please!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:00 pm
$100 for a Tenacious? Unless the lightweight version has increased the fit and finish level I really doubt this will sell.

I did an analysis last year on this and I still think Cruwear at ~$100 would have sold like gangbusters. There are no production Cruwear knives and it is super hot right now, selling out within minutes with most of the old knives going for double or more on the secondary market. But maybe they couldn't use it for whatever reason? :confused:

What is so bad about the fit and finish compared to a Golden model? I think a lot of this is in people's heads. The Tenacious is a great knife and if it didn't say China most people wouldn't be able to tell. I'm personally very excited to pay under $100 for a LW Tenacious in a premium US steel. It is one of the best designs in the whole Spyderco lineup and a premium FRN version is a welcome surprise. It is right behind the LC200N Pacific Salt for me as the most exciting knife in Reveal 6. I really can't wait for this one!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:53 pm
zhyla wrote:

I don't get where people say fit and finish on the Chinese spydercos is sub par. Mine are all great and feel like much more expensive knives and my tenacious has been used a lot and still solid. It honestly doesn't feel any lesser quality than my Gayle Bradley 2!

I did an analysis last year on this and I still think Cruwear at ~$100 would have sold like gangbusters. There are no production Cruwear knives and it is super hot right now, selling out within minutes with most of the old knives going for double or more on the secondary market. But maybe they couldn't use it for whatever reason? :confused:

What is so bad about the fit and finish compared to a Golden model? I think a lot of this is in people's heads. The Tenacious is a great knife and if it didn't say China most people wouldn't be able to tell. I'm personally very excited to pay under $100 for a LW Tenacious in a premium US steel. It is one of the best designs in the whole Spyderco lineup and a premium FRN version is a welcome surprise. It is right behind the LC200N Pacific Salt for me as the most exciting knife in Reveal 6. I really can't wait for this one!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

BTW, Lamnia has an announced price for S35VN Tenacious for 115€.
And for the kicks, RockJumper should be 112. €. So....this model has potential.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

The Tenacious is a great knife, I have 2, a satin and an all black version. People were *****ing about the $50 price, now they will ***** about the $100 price.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Lol, if people ***** about price there is a solution to it: don't buy it
Or even better, try running production knife factory and see for yourself for how much you can make a folder
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

steelcity16 wrote:
zhyla wrote:

I like the designs of the budget line. But I also dont think I have gotten "unlucky" 4 times in a row. Every budget Spyderco I have gotten had a much lesser degree of fit and finish compared to the products from Spydercos other factories.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Another thing this could perhaps mean: A return of the linerlock in "middle/higher level" Spydies?

Currently there are a lot of backlocks and comp.locks above the budget line, but very few linerlocks (Military, Bradley folder..)

More linerlocks and by that even more variety would be a good thing to me: While the backlock will always be my favorite among the current options, a good linerlock has its pros and I prefer it over the comp. lock.

Furthermore, many comp. lock models technically could potentially also come in a linerlock variant with very little changes, while often times not so in a backlock version.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SubMicron wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm
My first thought is that this will open the door to all kinds of new options from the China partner, which is exciting. My assumption is that the existing partner will be making it simply because Spyderco seems to do everything possible to maintain existing relationships

As a side note, I'd be particularly interested in the China Spyderco models if they had 14c28n. This is a steel that doesn't look advantageous in terms of published wear resistance, however the fine microstructure provides an edge stability that causes it to consistently perform between S30V and M390 in testing done on new clean cardboard.

Hopefully we see it one day.

*edit long rambling post on the subject
I have to agree 14C28N is under rated. I do not know I would put it that far up the scale, but it is certainly as good as VG-10 or 154CM.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I only own the Persistence, Tenacious (both blue G-10) ,and the Polestar in Spyderco's value-line; I have personally found them to be well constructed with good fit and finish. While neither are my favorite Spyderco model, I doubt anyone would be disappointed with a S35vn blade substituted for the Chinese alphabet stuff at around $100. I predict it would hold its own against the dealer exclusive S30v Endura and Delica. It's the Byrd line I found literally rough around the edges. The stainless model I owned performed OK, but gosh it was poorly finished. However, I did own the titanium Cara Cara and that was quite impressive. I traded it for the Polestar and that was a mistake. A titanium Medowlark, Cara Cara, and its brethren with a S35vn blade at the $100 mark would be fantastic.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Many people clamored for a Tenacious in a premium steel, saying they'd pay up to $100 for one.

I guess we will see whether the market bears that out.

I don't ride the Tenacious hype train as hard as others. I think it is a great design but it lacks visual excitement. If I am using it, and not looking at it, it is one of the best. If I am looking at it, I can't help but compare it to the Manix 2, which is one of my favorite knives, both for performance and aesthetics.

I experimented with the Tenacious LW, carrying it as my only knife for a month, and it performed superbly. I never once missed another blade. But I didn't take it out to look at it lovingly like I might a PM2 or even Delica.

I expect if this Tenacious is well received, we will see more models made in China with S35vn. With skyrocketing Seki and Golden prices, this would be a really good thing for budget buyers. I for one, would love to see the Astute get the S35vn treatment next.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Honestly, my biggest gripe with the budget line is the liner lock. It's one of my least favorite locks. I may get one of these just to try the Spyderco Chinese s35vn, though.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:50 pm
SubMicron wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm
My first thought is that this will open the door to all kinds of new options from the China partner, which is exciting. My assumption is that the existing partner will be making it simply because Spyderco seems to do everything possible to maintain existing relationships

As a side note, I'd be particularly interested in the China Spyderco models if they had 14c28n. This is a steel that doesn't look advantageous in terms of published wear resistance, however the fine microstructure provides an edge stability that causes it to consistently perform between S30V and M390 in testing done on new clean cardboard.

Hopefully we see it one day.

*edit long rambling post on the subject
I have to agree 14C28N is under rated. I do not know I would put it that far up the scale, but it is certainly as good as VG-10 or 154CM.
You're definitely right about it not being that far up the scale, at least overall. Specifically through clean, brand new cardboard, surprisingly it is.

Cardboard cut testing is something I've gotten into. There's a lot to it.

I can point you to the YouTube channel Outpost76. I've never spoken with him, but I have done many of my own tests and the results are very close. He's very dedicated and consistent and I support him on Patreon. His results are available in a spreadsheet which he links to in the description of almost all of his videos

I do believe that I've got an additional variable under control, that non of these Youtubers have figured out with the cardboard tests, specifically the angle of approach to the cardboard. I've tested the test angle and it matters significantly and I know why it matters.

So with this post, I've decided that I'll order a 14c28n knife today, that I can test, so we can discuss it in this forum.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

steelcity16 wrote:
I did an analysis last year on this and I still think Cruwear at ~$100 would have sold like gangbusters.
A high end steel can command a higher price (for a while). S35VN not so much.
steelcity16 wrote:
What is so bad about the fit and finish compared to a Golden model? I think a lot of this is in people's heads. The Tenacious is a great knife and if it didn't say China most people wouldn't be able to tell.
I have one Tenacious (G-10) and one Ambitious. I’ve owned I think two other Tenacious as well. They’re fine, I don’t have any real complaints. But compared to what Chinese companies are putting out there in the $100 price point, there’s no comparison. I know the Spyderco brand carries a premium but, I dunno, I feel like this should have been $75 street price tops.

Maybe I’m wrong. The lower end Chinese companies tend to put more emphasis on handle materials and fit/finish in this price range than blade steel. A $50-$60 Civivi will blow away the Tenacious in niceness but you only get D2 steel.
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

Fit and finish are good enough for me on the Chinese Spyderco line. The big advantage here is the edge to handle ratio and the ergonomics, both of which are great. I'll be happy to pick one up in S35VN. To me, it's worth it over the ergos and shorter blade on the Native. And I have owned a lot of Natives.