What should I get next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blackpearl

What should I get next?

Post by Blackpearl »

Hello!

So most of my knives arrived except for the Dragonfly k390. I love all of them even though I don’t use the two Para2 or Manix 2 (those were purchased for hubby).

I love the Delica but the Shaparral Sun & Moon is so special to me. The Dragonfly and Ladybug are beyond adorable so I’ll get more of those for stocking stuffers.

So what else should I get next? Maybe Para3? Maybe the Smock? What about the Shaman?
Attachments
EB255A35-73AC-496D-A49D-BBECCBDEA2A1.jpeg
Mushroom

Re: What should I get next?

Post by Mushroom »

Thats a great collection you've got going! You might like some of the collaboration models that Spyderco does. If you like the Smock, maybe you could look into the Ikuchi as another alternative. The Kapara is also a really nice option.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Such a nice collection! :)

I especially like your Manix LW, Delica and Sun and Moon Chaparral! Hope you do use the latter despite it is such a "pretty" knife - cause even more than that the Chap is imho one of the best PE cutters Spyderco offers!

/ So what should you get next?

- If you don´t use the PM2s not only cause they "are for hubby" but also a bit large for your taste, the Para 3 would be a logical alternative - and I personally would get the LW if I´d be interested in that model

- Since you like the Delica and have no comp. lock knife that you use (since you don´t use the PM2s): The Watu could be a model for you: Thin blade stock, about Delica size (but a lot more cutting edge) and you could try out the comp.lock

- But what I´d recommend most: Try Spydercos serrated edge in a folder. I can see you have two serrated Spyderco kitchen knives, but the SE pattern in folders is differently and probably more optimized for general EDC.
Maybe you have noticed that SE has been discussed a lot lately and almost exclusively positive. In any case it is something you should try and see if you like its performance as much as as many do.
I´d recommend Endela SE or Delica wharnie SE, or you wait for the Rockjumper SE which should hit the stores soon.
And since you plan to stock up on the DFly: Get one in SE (would have to be a Salt then)!
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: If you don´t have sharpening gear you like already: Get a sharpmaker before any other Spyderco knife... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think you need to try a Military. Fortunate for you that they can still be found in a variety of premium steels now and edge configurations
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Pacific salt or Wharncliffe salt.... serrated of course!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I think the Mantra 3 might be one you would love the most. It was designed to be the ultimate Delica. I have the Mantra 2, which I believe shares the same handle size/shape with the Mantra 3, and it's better than the Delica in my opinion. Besides, you don't have any flippers there.

The Para 3 is a great knife, I doubt you would be disappointed with one. They work well for most hand sizes, come in a ton of colors(sprints and exclusives), and pretty much any high-end steel you can think of. The edges of the G10 aren't as sharp as the PM2, so the handle feels a bit more comfortable.

The Shaman is a really nice knife, with one of, if not the most comfortable handles Spyderco makes. It's roughly the same length as the Manix 2, but it's got a thicker handle and blade.

I can't wait to see what else you and your family end up with!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Shaman is excellent. Native Chief deserves a try! How about the Gayle Bradley 2? Or for something really exciting, the Manix 2 XL!

Also the Amalgam, because it is a favorite of mine! Can you tell I like big knives?
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Spyder Thrower, any size. It's fun for the whole family. Edgier than horse shoes, stickier than a wicket and you can pass around every other Spydie knife while you are waiting for your next turn.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hey did you check out the Reveal 6?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:45 am
Hey did you check out the Reveal 6?
I’ll second her... I can’t wait for this knife

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Wow! Thank you all! So many suggestions for me to look at! I must look soon!

No I have not checked out the Reveal 6 yet but I will now.

Thanks again my lovely friends!