Reuse pac salt blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Reuse pac salt blade?

Post by ZMW »

After years of great use I pushed my pac salt SE too far this past weekend. User abuse on my end, but the lock rock went from non existent to borderline unsafe and I can squeeze the handle and make the lock disengage if I really try.

Can I buy some endura handles and lockbar, and frankenstein my pac salt blade? Or is just time to retire the beast?

Tightening the pivot does nothing to help, I think I warped the handles or lock bar from splitting wood and batting the back of the blade. The unlocked position was not working, so I beat the snot out of it when locked. Not the knifes fault...
Pancake

Re: Reuse pac salt blade?

Post by Pancake »

Maybe you can find Endura handle with a lockbar, but you have to search a lot.
Rule of thumb is, you want to have blade with corresponding lockbar. Another lock bar MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT work with your blade, that is a gamble.
Also, I am not sure if the blades between PacSalt and Endura are the same geometry wise, they might...not sure.
I would make a fixed blade out of that blade. Two slabs of micarta, g10 spacer, and I would make a steel lockbar to secure everything in place. Could be done.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:06 am
After years of great use I pushed my pac salt SE too far this past weekend. User abuse on my end, but the lock rock went from non existent to borderline unsafe and I can squeeze the handle and make the lock disengage if I really try.

Can I buy some endura handles and lockbar, and frankenstein my pac salt blade? Or is just time to retire the beast?

I am sure you know that Spyderco does not sell spare parts (for very good reasons imho), so that would not be an option anyway.

Since you certainly have a Pac Salt 1 (and not the just recently issued Pac Salt 2): The current Endura 4 is a different model, both in shape and also in having liners.
YOUR Pac Salt is basically a "salty" Endura 3 as far as I know, and the Endura 3 is long discontinued already..

So: No, I am afraid what you´re thinking of is not an option.
You certainly could buy a used Pac Salt 1 (or perhaps even still find a new one), but not spare parts.
And if you buy another complete Pac Salt 1: Why swap blades then anyway? ;)

If I were you: I´d go and try the new Pac Salt 2, which is basically a linerless, "salty" Endura 4. I personally clearly prefer the Endura 4 / Pac Salt 2 handle over the Endura 3 / Pac Salt 1 handle, but ymmv of course
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:29 am
I would make a fixed blade out of that blade. Two slabs of micarta, g10 spacer, and I would make a steel lockbar to secure everything in place. Could be done.

YOU could do it, my friend, as I know from the great fixed blade you made for me... ;)

I probably could not... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

It’s time to retire it and pick up one of these:
A1E298F6-8E73-4A05-B436-6A623804159B.png
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Freediver wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 am
It’s time to retire it and pick up one of these:

A1E298F6-8E73-4A05-B436-6A623804159B
Man I just saw that and I cannot wait!!!!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Is that an upcoming Pac Salt 2, ffg? It looks great.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Have you taken the knife apart yet to try and see whats wrong?

Either way I would say its probably time for a new one.

Dont baton with folders kids.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."