Sal, Can We Form A Collective, And Order An Exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Sal, Can We Form A Collective, And Order An Exclusive?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:23 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:10 am
Life is busy lately. :o
Hi Darby,

Life seems to get busier as one gets older and takes on more responsibility. It seems like there is less time available? I'm convinced that the earth turns faster as you get older, so there is less time. ;)

sal
Very true.

I have a long history of biting off more than I can chew. Work, family, friends, a small homestead and too many hobbies. I guess I would rather have too much to do than not enough. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

i Darby,

I seem to resemble that remark. :o

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

A good day for me is one where I break even on stuff crossed off VS new stuff added to my to-do list....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Menipo wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:23 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:42 am
Yep. And gravity keeps getting stronger, too.

Just out of curiousity, who gets sued if the anonymous person collecting all that money takes off with it instead of placing the order, knowing that he'll have a year's head start before people expect their knives?
Any of the structures proposed so far ((1) an anonymous person collecting the money, placing the order and cutting the check, (2) Spyderco willing to manufacture a model + configuration previously "designed" by a certain amount of members of the club in consensus, receiving pre-orders and advance payments, and manufacturing the model only if a certain number of pre-orders are placed (or returning the advanced amounts otherwise), and (3) partnering with an existing dealer which would place the order on the basis of a given number of pre-orders and advance payments received) imply to draft a pile of contracts as it deviates from the standard legal structures used by any company to sell its products (to the best of my knowledge).

No one in his mind would start to thing about the legal side of the project (and start to incur in legal fees) unless it is clear that hundreds of people agree on the model + configuration of the knife which should be commissioned. None of the model + configuration which have been proposed here so far has received more than 2 or 3 adhesions ... The vast majority of the adhesions are conditional (change this or that and I'm it!)

As JuPaul said, the "biggest challenge won't be finding investors, but rather getting those investors to agree on a model and configuration", I am afraid. :rolleyes:
From past experience on Bladeforums, settling on a design by commitee makes herding cats look easy. The Traditional Knives subforum has done a forum knife every year since 2006. Each year has been a series of polls, and I don't recall a single one going the way I voted. I don't even participate in the process anymore, I just buy one of whatever is settled on. We try to keep the price under $100, although a few times it has gone over. I think the highest number sold was about 700, and the lowest was 26.

The only reason it has happened at all the last few years was dealer members stepping up. Without that structure the whole thing would have gone by the wayside long ago.
sal

Post by sal »

;) Hey Jack,

That gravity getting stronger is more true every day. That's why we keep making knives lighter......for the "Oldsters". ;)

sal