Black Bladed Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jimd

Black Bladed Native

Post by Jimd »

My Black bladed Native (CE) arrived today (Thanks again, Paul!).

It looks great, love the black blade. Feels great, very comfortable (I already have a regular Native, so no surprises).

Only criticism is that it's a bit tight, the handle scales drag along the blade a bit, offering resistance when opening. I'm not sure why this is. I worked the action some, and it's seemed to smooth up quite a bit, but the resistance is still there, and doesn't open as easily as my regular Native.

Also, question for Sal or those in the know...what is the black coating on the blade? I'm guessing Teflon of some sort???

All in all, nice knife, I like it a lot. I'm still convinced the Native is Spyderco's best design. Certainly my favorite.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
xrob

Post by xrob »

I just got one a few weeks ago and it is doing the same thing. I haven't put it into the rotation yet, but I'd like some advice along these lines too.

Thanks,

xrob
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

It's not like the resistance is a major problem for me, but rather mildly annoying. I'm betting that with some break-in and perhaps experimentation with various lubes, it will loosen up a bit.

Even if it stays the same as it is now, I'll continue to carry it because I like it that much.

I believe the "problem" is two-fold:
1. The blade has a coating, which creates a bit more friction than the normal, polished blade of the regular Natives. The friction creates drag against the FRN.
2. FRN, if I understand correctly, is injection-molded, which means that there can be some variances in production, due to the nature of the beast.

I'm betting it's either one or the other, or both of the above. Not a big, hairy deal either way, but many of us are perfectionists.

Is it worth it to me to send it back to Spyderco to have it "fixed"? No. Absolutely not. At least, for me.
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha JimD!!!

Congrats again on that Blk Native! I dunno what type of coating is used, probably Teflon, but man, i hope it ain't like the one used on my Blk SPOT! Whatever :spyder: used on their Blk Delicas/Enduras back in the day was awesome...my co-worker has a Blk Endura (Integrated clip) and the coating looks "worn", but not scratched...

Anyway, a knife like that Blk Native will end up looking like "us", eh? A few hard earned battle scars ;)

God bless and 360IJN! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Jimd, I would guess a combo of both but mainly your #1 theory. With some talk on the forum regarding the use of washers, in particular in use with FRN handles, I would say...

Photos I've seen of disassembled FRN blades show a "integral, molded in washer" on each side of the handle. I assume where it's not a bronze, brass, stainless, or nylon washer, you will get a certain amount of resistance.

The only FRN knife I use is a Delica. I don't know for certain if there are true washers used in the construction or other material. I do know I have to keep the pivot lubed on a regular basis or it will get "stiff" opening/closing. As for break in, I use this knife for SpyderAerobics nightly to releive stress, I'd bet this knife has been opened/closed 5, 6 thousand times in the two months I've owed it. I still have to continue with the lube.

My opinion, I'd be interested if anyone buys into it.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Well, I have to say that the Native's action seems to be smoothing up a bit, becoming easier to open/close.

Still wondering what the blade coating is, though....Sal?
Artwork For Sale

greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Jimd wrote:Well, I have to say that the Native's action seems to be smoothing up a bit, becoming easier to open/close.
One thing I didn't make clear on my Delica was it is smooth to open, meaning it's not "gritty", just snug.
sal

Post by sal »

All of the blade coating done on the Golden models is DLC. It is the best, strongest, most corrosion resistant (& expensive) coating available today. Rc of the coating is over 70.

As mentioned, not as smooth to open when new. Some breaking in and oiling required. As with all of the Golden made models, these are users.

sal
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I Have Started To Carry Mine In Edc Rotation, And It Is A Little Stiff, At First I Was Not That Partial To The Knife, But With A Little Time Spent With The Knife I Am Really Growing To Like It. #9
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

sal wrote:All of the blade coating done on the Golden models is DLC. It is the best, strongest, most corrosion resistant (& expensive) coating available today. Rc of the coating is over 70.

As mentioned, not as smooth to open when new. Some breaking in and oiling required. As with all of the Golden made models, these are users.

sal
Sal, thanks for taking the time to answer. :)

I've heard nothing but great things about the DLC (Diamond-Like Coating, I believe it stands for). Wow, an RC of 70! :eek: That's some hard stuff!!

Each day, I love the black-bladed Native a little more. It's definitely my favorite Spydie of all!! It's smoothed up considerably, and I imagine it will get even better in the future.

Honestly, I don't mind breaking a knife in as long as I know it's going to break in and get better. It kind of personalizes the knife to the user.
Thanks Sal, for a great knife and great answers.
Artwork For Sale

pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

Here is a really crappy pic of my Native collection, but if you are like me, you like looking at pics no matter how bad they stink. :-)

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Paul.ROCK.000\Desktop\Natives.jpg[/img]
Rock
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

Here is a crappy picture of my native collection. If you are like me you don't mind looking at crappy pictures, as long as they have a Spyderco in them. :-)

Rock
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Cool pic, Rocco! That's a nice collection there!
Artwork For Sale

Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

pjrocco wrote:If you are like me you don't mind looking at crappy pictures, as long as they have a Spyderco in them. :-)
You got that right! Thanks for sharing
-Dean
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How about a black PE?
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

I'm working on PE versions of the FRN, SS and Black Blade. But I thought buying a Walker and Kopa was a higher prioirty. O well, all in good time.

Peace.
Rock
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

I just got a black-bladed native. It's another Spydeco touchdown, as far as I'm concerned.

-Bryan
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

VultureParade wrote:I just got a black-bladed native. It's another Spydeco touchdown, as far as I'm concerned.

-Bryan
Here, here! I agree, verily!
Artwork For Sale