Warm vs Cool weather carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JTowns

Warm vs Cool weather carry

Post by JTowns »

With Labor Day marking the unofficial end of the summer and the weather getting ready to transition in some parts of the country I thought it would be interesting to see how many people change what they carry dependent on the weather.

When it's hot here in NC and I'm in shorts and a t shirt I mostly go with the lightest weight knives I have available. When the clothes get heavier I use it as an opportunity to carry some of my bigger stuff. This year in particular I'm looking forward to giving some time to my Amalgam.
Current Collection: Para 3 LW, Manix 2 DLC, Amalgam, Tenacious, Resilience
TkoK83Spy

Re: Warm vs Cool weather carry

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's pretty warm and humid here in Central NY during the summer months. Especially this past year where we set a record for our area with 30something days in a row of 90 degree or warmer temperatures. I certainly didn't carry my Rex45, 4V, M4 and 52100 knives as often as I'd like to. So bring on the fall and winter weather for some of my favorites! Not that the sunmer hindered me using them all that much, but will be nice not to feel worried about it in sweaty pockets.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I usually wear cargo style shorts during the warm months. Bigger pockets usually mean I can carry bigger knives but I don't always adhere to that. Depends on the shorts too. I have lighter weight shorts where a lighter knife carries better. Sometimes I also wear athletic shorts. I won't try to clip a knife to the pocket of those because they're too thin. Instead I'll drop something small/light in my pocket or I clip a Para 3 LW or Manix 2 LW IWB

We're still a couple months away from blue jeans weather where I'm at but I do sometimes change what I carry. Depends on the jeans I'm wearing but often I just slip a small knife in my watch pocket. Otherwise I tend to carry knives that aren't so tall/wide in my RFP. Just depends
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah I do the same sorts of things, easier to clip a Millie to jeans than athletic shorts. But regarding steel types etc, it's always like the tropics down here, so that isn't really a variable for me.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I sometimes carry a larger firearm when I'm wearing more clothes since they're easier to conceal but my knife usually stays the same. In fact the knives I tend to carry need to be easily usable in winter gloves, that's one of my purchase/carry criteria.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It isn’t about size for me but rather corrosion resistance from sweat.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Agree, I tend to carry my FRN LW models in my shorts and the heavier and bigger G10 / Micarta stuff in cooler jeans weather.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JTowns

Post by JTowns »

Right now I mostly carry a Para 3 LW and I'm waiting on a Smock in the mail right now to add to my warm weather rotation.

I've been thinking about picking up a Manix XL and a Yoji to add to my cool weather carry selection
Nate

Post by Nate »

With the pandemic and cornteen, working from home full time, etc, I’ve basically only worn athletic shorts for the last 6 months. Urban clipped iwb most of the time.

Look forward to the cooler weather providing an excuse to carry some different stuff.
:spyder:
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I wear jeans year round, in Mississippi. My carry consists of whatever I want to carry, hot or cold. Guess I'm weird that way!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Unless I’m expecting to do something that requires a certain type of knife, default knife for shorts carry = DF2
These parts of Norway have something like 10-20 summer days a year, so there are lots of opportunities to carry other knives
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here in Colorado, hot or cold, I pretty much carry any knife without regard to the weather.

And, as JTowns, said Labor Day being the end of Summer, we’re in for a drastic change in Colorado. Tomorrow we’ll be ending a long string of weather in the mid 90’s. (F) (mid 30’s C)

The forecast in the Denver area for Tuesday is upper 30’s (F), (about 3 C,) with 4-6 inches, 10-15 cm,) of snow.
Last edited by Pokey on Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, agreed. My Para 3 LW is my favorite summer carry.

I recently picked up a Military in 204p, and I'm looking forward to carrying that once the weather cools down and I'm back to wearing jeans everyday.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:08 am
I usually wear cargo style shorts during the warm months. Bigger pockets usually mean I can carry bigger knives but I don't always adhere to that.
Cargo Shorts are what I mainly wear in the summer time except in Church, formal events, business meetings or weddings, funerals ect. I actually wear cargo shorts because I truly use most of the pockets for items that I like to have on hand i.e. flashlights, tools, stupid cell phone :rolleyes: and other modern day necessities.

In cooler weather I wear Carhartt or other workman's type jeans or trousers>> you know the ones that have the side pockets that are really handy to carry tools. Now when I'm working >> which is quite a bit here lately in cooler weather I wear bib overalls. Not to win a fashion show but I truly like them to work in. Yeah I get called Elmer Fudd and other condescending names :o but I do find them nice to work in.

FUNCTION>> is the name of my game>> not to mention that all the clothes I wear are functional as well.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yep, the hot humid summer months - with lots of sweaty outdoor activities in lightweight clothing - means I've been carrying my lighter, stainless knives a lot more.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Back when I was living stateside I carried whatever I wanted, but if in a suit usually a Delica. Living in the equatorial jungle are alike I do now where open carry is frowned upon, I carry a Delica or UKPK or Pioneer X. When out getting exercise I carry an Endura or Manix 2 LW IWB or down in my pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cooler weather means I'll wear a belt more frequently. It also means more camping and hiking. So I'll carry fixed blades more often.

It also lets me enjoy less corrosion resistant steels. Looking forward to carrying my M4 Manix, and I'll be putting a fresh edge on my K390 Police 4 this week.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It's still hot enough here to make my pockets turn m4 red as dirt...

So I'm carrying Lc200n and BD1, which seem to handle the sweat better than most.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Unless I got a job that would require me to carry something special or out of the ordinary I pretty much carry the same EDCs as I do in the cold as I do when it's in the 90s.

To me what ever type of job I'm doing has far more sway with me than if it's cold or hot outside. Now I am sort of picky about blade steels in certain weather. For instance I would not carry a knife made with S30V in cold weather. Because I have experienced micro-chipping with it in the past>> but VG-10 is fine in cold weather.

But as far as my daily EDC goes I use about the same rotation year round.
JTowns

Post by JTowns »

JD Spydo wrote: Unless I got a job that would require me to carry something special or out of the ordinary I pretty much carry the same EDCs as I do in the cold as I do when it's in the 90s.

To me what ever type of job I'm doing has far more sway with me than if it's cold or hot outside. Now I am sort of picky about blade steels in certain weather. For instance I would not carry a knife made with S30V in cold weather. Because I have experienced micro-chipping with it in the past>> but VG-10 is fine in cold weather.

But as far as my daily EDC goes I use about the same rotation year round.
That's interesting. I just got into Spyderco's because I loved the unique designs, but now being part of the forum I'm learning more then I ever imagined I would about steel. Now I pay attention to the steel I buy and I own several S30V knives, 1 BD1N, and 1 D2, along with some 8cr cheaper knives. Now I'm looking into a Caribbean or a Chef because of the LC200N. All the different steel and the properties they have is a lot to take in.