Odd milestone - who took all the g10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Odd milestone - who took all the g10?

Post by foofie »

Like many of you, my knife tastes have changed (evolved?) over time. I started with aluminum and titanium, and scorned frn. Then came g10 (in any color, as long as it was black), with a little carbon fiber mixed in.

Lately, I have been swapping out scales for micarta and wood. So when I look at the current state of my collection, there is not a single knife in black g10. Or any G10 for that matter, including laminated CF/g10. Or titanium or aluminum.

All my carried knives now wear micarta (para 3's, Smock, ukpk's, delica), wood (watu, ikuchi, ukpk) or gasp, frn (para 3 LW's, ukpk,Dfly). Did I mention - I love the para3 in frn? Maybe a little more than the micarta ones even.

I can take some pics if anyone likes. I have various knives in different states of disassembly (some off to get new wood scales (para3, smock), some frn getting ready for a rit dye bath), so a bit hard to get a group photo.
TomAiello

Re: Odd milestone - who took all the g10?

Post by TomAiello »

I actually really like G-10. I'd say it's on more than half of my carry knives.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I dislike only-metal scales. I don't actually dislike g10 - which is why I find it so odd that I have none of it anymore. One benefit of micarta - much easier to chamfer the edges. Maybe if knives started coming with chamfered g10 like the shaman, I would own more g10 again?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I don't mind Aluminum or Titanium, I quite like them in fact! Micarta however is not a favorite, although I don't hate it. Just reminds me of fabric bandaids and it's just weird. I prefer G10 and Carbon Fiber over all though. FRN is ok as well, but man G10 can be finished in so many different ways it can pretty much cover any texture you could want and it's stupid strong and resilient. Plust all the colors! Blue is my favorite though! But I enjoy black and jade as well!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

For what it is worth I really like G-10, micarta and aluminum/titanium for handle material. I REALLY dislike FRN; it just feels cheap to me.
foofie

Post by foofie »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:00 pm
I prefer G10 and Carbon Fiber over all though... Plust all the colors! Blue is my favorite though! But I enjoy black and jade as well!
Okay - I really like blue too. Been considering a set of blue g10 scales for a dragonfly.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I've never been a big fan of black G10 but what mystifies me is G10 /Carbon fibre laminate. What is the point of this ugly combination? All it does is looks cheap. For some reason Spyderco puts it on a lot of high-end knives - and I will never buy a CF laminate knife, ever, no matter how wonderful the rest of the knife may be. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Thunderpants wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:00 pm
I've never been a big fan of black G10 but what mystifies me is G10 /Carbon fibre laminate. What is the point of this ugly combination? All it does is looks cheap. For some reason Spyderco puts it on a lot of high-end knives - and I will never buy a CF laminate knife, ever, no matter how wonderful the rest of the knife may be. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way!
You aren't, but to many the laminate is just fine. I personally think it looks and feels great on my amalgam and Gayle Bradley 2.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man, I would love to see some coutures of your micarta & wood collection! Especially with such a diverse array of models.

Micarta sure is nice. I have one Para 3 with Micarta scales, and it's very comfortable. Still, I don't think the difference is so great that I'll upgrade everything in my collection. I could get quite a few more knives for that price!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

G10 is top on my list. I am only just now trying to warm up to FRN -- but I am testing the waters slowly and carefully and am by no means committed. Buying the recent Rex45 FRN Manix is my big step in that direction.

I used to look crossways at the G10/CF laminate. I only have it on my Gayle Bradley 1. Now that I have thought about it some, I am just fine with it. G10 is just carbon fiber -- without the carbon fiber, after all. So who am I to care if the sheets of fiber I can't see anyhow are glass or carbon. So thinking about it that way makes good sense to my addled brain. It is certainly functional. Maybe it saves money. Anyhow, I am OK with it, even if not widly enthusiastic.

But I am still totally on-board with G10. Good stuff and in general my first choice.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thunderpants wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:00 pm
Once again it just goes to show how much personal preference can vary. Nothing wrong with the CF/G10 laminate scales. I have a lot of it and it's very durable and it has just the right amount of texture. I do wish they'd at least change the color now and then but not a deal breaker for me. You may not like CF/G10 laminate but it's obvious enough people do or all those models that have it wouldn't sell.

As far as G10, it's fine. I have smooth and textured G10. No complaints. Then again, I really don't have any complaints about the various kinds of materials used for handles. I'm happy with them all.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I think I just love variety. G10 in different colors and textures, micarta, terotuf, wood - they can all be beautiful and I appreciate different materials for different models and uses. And frn is practical and can be any color under the sun. I often prefer g10 to frn, but I like several frn models quite a bit (delica, para3 lw, pac salt, dragonfly). Metal scales aren't my favorite, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 pm
I think I just love variety. G10 in different colors and textures, micarta, terotuf, wood - they can all be beautiful and I appreciate different materials for different models and uses. And frn is practical and can be any color under the sun. I often prefer g10 to frn, but I like several frn models quite a bit (delica, para3 lw, pac salt, dragonfly). Metal scales aren't my favorite, though.
I’m right there with you. Don’t love metal handles even though they can be very handsome. (Alox-handled SAK’s are good, but I miss the toothpick/tweezers/pin.) My only wood scales are on knives I don’t carry. :( This is a shame, because I like wood a lot. I prefer an ergonomic OHO folder, and all the ones of those that I’ve bought have FRN or G-10 handles.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:41 pm
I actually really like G-10. I'd say it's on more than half of my carry knives.
That's pretty much what I would have to report at this time. G-10 for practical usage is just about at the top of my list. I really can't find much fault with G-10 handles and find them relatively easy to maintain.

I have other favorites even though I don't really have a specific favorite. I also like Titanium, Carbon Fiber, Anodized aluminum, and even FRN for job specific folders. I'm always open to try out different handle materials.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:05 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 pm
I’m right there with you. Don’t love metal handles even though they can be very handsome. (Alox-handled SAK’s are good, but I miss the toothpick/tweezers/pin.) My only wood scales are on knives I don’t carry. :( This is a shame, because I like wood a lot. I prefer an ergonomic OHO folder, and all the ones of those that I’ve bought have FRN or G-10 handles.
I forgot about the alox SAKs - I do have several of those and I really like them with the texture Victorinox uses. But I agree, I wish they could still have the toothpick, etc. I keep a Vic classic on my keychain just for those things.

As for wood, I only have it on fixed blades at the moment, but I think it's probably the most attractive handle/scale material. I love colors, but wood has that classic (and classy) natural beauty. I love seeing pics of other people's custom wood scales on here. We had a huge black walnut tree come down on our property this year, and my first thought was "who can I find to make me some scales with this??!!" ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SDCowboy

Post by SDCowboy »

I kind of know what you're talking about. ALL my Spyderco knives had to be G10. Then last week I got my first FRN (native 5), and now I'm not sure I go back to G10.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I'm not sure there is any handle material I don't like. The hardest for me to swallow is FRN/FRCP, but I may be getting over that.

I dug out my Gayle Bradley just to look at the G10 with the CF layer. Just to check the looks. You know, it looks pretty fine to me quite frankly. Maybe even nicer, looks wise than an all G10 knife I set next to it (My CF/S90V Shaman). So I'll take the G10/CF any time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

G10 is more than just fine, but for me personally FRN/FRCP is just even better.
And I am lucky enough that most of the designs I like do come in FRN/FRCP anyway.. :)
Though I'd take them all in G10 either, no doubt
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:58 pm
G10 is more than just fine, but for me personally FRN/FRCP is just even better.
And I am lucky enough that most of the designs I like do come in FRN/FRCP anyway.. :)
Though I'd take them all in G10 either, no doubt
...me, too. Give me a "plain Jane", FRN, VG-10 Endura, and I'm more that satisfied. In the 1980's I began my Spyderco "career" with a "clip-it" endura at work. It's probably muscle-memory; the FRN endura just works so well in my hand.