VG-10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FRNFanboy

Re: VG-10?

Post by FRNFanboy »

I think VG-10 gets a bad rap sometimes. It's in the neighborhood of D2 for edge retention and toughness, but has far greater rust resistance. Sharpens like a dream too.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:51 pm
JD, I've never tried VG-10 serrated, probably because I love H1 SE so much.
H-1 SE is great, but isn’t available from Spyderco in full flat grind due to requirements of manufacturing. FFG SE makes a huge difference in my uses. I second the recommendation for a SE Endela in VG-10. It’s a nice in-between size capable of real work without being a pocket hog.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:51 pm
JD, I've never tried VG-10 serrated, probably because I love H1 SE so much.
I got a few of both the VG-10 and H-1 in full Spyderedge and they both seem to be comparable to me. Now H-1 just isn't that great in Plain Edge for those types of cutting jobs I encounter>> VG-10 on the other hand takes a nice edge in PE.

You really can't go wrong with either one. Now if you ever come across an older Spyder made with 440V blade steel in SE you are really in for a fun time cutting. That 440V in SE is virtually indestructible. But VG-10 and H-1 along with ATS-55 and the older AUS-8 models in SE are some great blade steels for hard uses.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I just find H1 SE incredible, even if not FFG, and so easy to sharpen. I'm sure I would like VG-10 SE, FFG, also. I do like it in PE.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Blade HQ has an interesting page where they rank knife steels according to their attributes: https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knif ... -3368#vg10. VG-10 is a very well-balanced steel that doesn’t excel at anything in particular, but give a solid all-around performance for the average user. Another attribute that Blade HQ doesn’t list in their chart is cost: VG-10 is inexpensive and easy to work with for manufacturers, so it leads to affordable knives for consumers.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:10 pm
I just find H1 SE incredible, even if not FFG, and so easy to sharpen. I'm sure I would like VG-10 SE, FFG, also. I do like it in PE.
Like I was saying you can't go wrong with either VG-10 or H-1 in SE. Other steels that Spyderco has used for SE blades that are really good are GIN-1, AUS-8, ATS-34, ATS-55, 440V. I find that H-1 and AUS-8 in SE are somewhat easier to sharpen than VG-10 is in SE. I hope that is helpful.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Personally, I'd choose VG-10 over H1 any day of the week.

I'd choose LC200N over VG-10. But, those are my two favorites.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I wouldn't choose anything over H1 in serrated. Of course, I haven't tried everything.
Kloeshuman

Post by Kloeshuman »

Thanks to everyone that has replied, good info ! I'm going to go down to the store on Wednesday and take a look at the VG-10 blade
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Takuan wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:44 am
Blade HQ has an interesting page where they rank knife steels according to their attributes: https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knif ... -3368#vg10. VG-10 is a very well-balanced steel that doesn’t excel at anything in particular, but give a solid all-around performance for the average user. Another attribute that Blade HQ doesn’t list in their chart is cost: VG-10 is inexpensive and easy to work with for manufacturers, so it leads to affordable knives for consumers.
Dont forget... BladeHQ is there to sell you something. Most studies (Larrin for example) put VG10 above S30V for corrosion resistance, and very close to D2 for toughness and edge retention; BladeHQ rates VG10 the same as S30V and well below D2 in those categories. VG10 is a very respectable “generalist” steel that is easy to work and less expensive than many others.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have all these fancy steels and honestly a lot of their benefits are lost on me. I still have several knives with VG-10 and I could be happy with just those. Plus VG-10 looks really cool if you look at it in the right light :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:21 am
I have all these fancy steels and honestly a lot of their benefits are lost on me. I still have several knives with VG-10 and I could be happy with just those. Plus VG-10 looks really cool if you look at it in the right light :)
I wonder what it is about VG-10 that creates the shimmering look it has? It’s unique in my experience.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

FRNFanboy wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:42 am
Dont forget... BladeHQ is there to sell you something. Most studies (Larrin for example) put VG10 above S30V for corrosion resistance, and very close to D2 for toughness and edge retention; BladeHQ rates VG10 the same as S30V and well below D2 in those categories. VG10 is a very respectable “generalist” steel that is easy to work and less expensive than many others.
I agree: this material should be taken with a grain of salt (except for the low-chromium steels, which should never be taken with a grain of salt :) ). I mentioned it because the OP seemed to be fairly new to metallurgy and Blade HQ's steel guide is a good place to start. It's a bit like Wikipedia: it's a good place for beginners to get their bearings, but scholars will look to more sophisticated sources (like Larrin's excellent Knife Steel Nerds site).

[Edited because I apparently don’t know how to use the quote feature properly. :o ]
Last edited by Takuan on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I agree with what many here have said, VG10 is an amazing EDC steel - while it doesn’t hold an edge quite as long as some others, it’s so easy to sharpen to a scary sharp edge, the edge holding is not as critical. In fact, I like sharpening VG10 so much I kinda like the fact that I need to sharpen it fairly often. I didn’t fully appreciate VG10 until I got a sharpmaker and a decent strop block, but now it’s probably one of my favorite steels, and I have quite a variety to compare with.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum.

VG-10 is in the same class as 154CM and ATS-34,which is to say it is really good stuff. There are steels that will hold an edge longer, sure,but at great cost. These are far harder to sharpen for one thing. VG10 is excellent doing everything well enough and is easy to live with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Kloeshuman

Post by Kloeshuman »

Ok.....so i picked up the Delica 4 zome green VG10 pe today...new with box. It does have an odd stamp on one side that i haven't seen on others, will try and post some pics later
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've tried nearly every steel Spyderco has used and VG10 remains one of my favorites.

It's one of the few stainless steels I'm happy to use in either folding or fixed blade knives. Good toughness. Very corrosion resistant. As others mentioned, its one of the easiest steels to sharpen.

Just a great steel that isn't really lacking in any one area.
:unicorn
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Kloeshuman wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 am
Ok.....so i picked up the Delica 4 zome green VG10 pe today...new with box. It does have an odd stamp on one side that i haven't seen on others, will try and post some pics later
The "SAL" logo?
Kloeshuman

Post by Kloeshuman »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:26 am
Kloeshuman wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 am
The "SAL" logo?
That must be what it is
Kloeshuman

Post by Kloeshuman »

Can someone explain the Sal logo for me? I dont see it on all the knifes. Just wondered why it's not on all? Or is it and you just dont see it?