Old "News"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
4 s ter

Old "News"

Post by 4 s ter »

A post on BladeForums started me thinking about this topic again. Why doesn't Spyderco use the "Pressroom/News" portion of this website to disseminate news?

Right now the most current "Press Release" is dated August 2004 and the latest "Breaking News" is dated September 13, 2004.

Those of us who frequent this Forum (my wife might say I frequent it too frequently) find out from those bringing info from the New Graham Knives website (among other sources) when a new release comes out. Why doesn't Spyderco use the "Breaking News" section of the website (or even just this Forum) to make announcements of such releases?

I really think the Spyderco.com is being horribly (completely?) underutilized as a tool for marketing the new releases as they come out. Maybe I'm just a little frustrated that a loyal fan base, such as the members of this Forum, isn't provided with such info first hand.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

4 s ter wrote:Those of us who frequent this Forum (my wife might say I frequent it too frequently) find out from those bringing info from the New Graham Knives website (among other sources) when a new release comes out. Why doesn't Spyderco use the "Breaking News" section of the website (or even just this Forum) to make announcements of such releases?

David
I'm always a day late and a dollar short, would be nice though to utilize the tools.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

4 s ter,
We agree and are doing all that we can here to improve this site and utilize all of it's tools. As you may know, we are a company of only 35 people, so each of us wear many hats (I'm sure nearly everyone on the forums can relate). We hope you will be able to notice our efforts soon. Our first goal is of course getting the best possible, safest product out of our door daily while providing the best possible service to literally, thousands of accounts and making honest efforts to include all of you in as much as we can.

Please take heart and know that we are working on improving this site, which includes communication through the PressRoom/News section. We enjoy and appreciate your comments and welcome them always! :)
There is nothing more important than this one day.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

TazKristi

Thank you for the response!
TazKristi wrote:We agree and are doing all that we can here to improve this site and utilize all of it's tools.
TazKristi wrote:Please take heart and know that we are working on improving this site, which includes communication through the PressRoom/News section.
I guess we'll have to wait and watch. A lot of us had high hopes that product communication would improve with the restructuring of the site last September. Unfortunately, nothing happened after last September.

Threads in this Forum regularly get 100's and even 1000's of views. It just seems that this is too large a potential (very interested) audience and too good a marketing opportunity to overlook for months at a time. Press releases can be hand carried to the Netherlands before they are posted on this site. (and yes Sal, I know it was on the way ;) )

Thanks again!

David
David

butch

Post by butch »

got to love it no mater what the problem big or small
spyderco staff is never sitting still
thanks for all the hard work
CKE

Post by CKE »

I have noticed on a few occassions(and sorry can't recall specifics as sleep has gone out the window :) ) where things were mentioned at BFC Spydie section and not here. I thought it might have to do with the fact that they were the first Spydie forum.
Great suggestion David and thanks TazKristi for keeping us up to date!!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Senate

Post by Senate »

a newsletter delivered by e-mail to let us know the latest news and especially when a new model is being shipped to distributors would be great! :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

I think all that needs to be done is for Spyderco to use that little window we all get when we load up the website that usually contains a picture of a knife.

Or for them to get their web designers to make that little "new knives" button glow when something is added.

Or add another box on the front page for press releases.

It would take one person a small amount of time to update the site frequently, ****, I'll do it. And I'll take knives as pay.

I think that really might be a solution. If Spyderco can't handle it in house and they don't want to contract someone out to do it, why not pay a fan with some free time or his or her hands. And pay in knives. It works out for both parties involved and the person would definately have a dedication to the work due to the love of Spyderco and Spyderco's knives.

(For the record I would like to be considered first if any such opportunity becomes available :p )

I agree that this is the largest problem with Spyderco, and it doesn't make any sense because it is such an easy fix and in my mind would generate a lot more business for the company.

It seems like I only hear about new knives from the Spyderco webpage when a new knife just pops up in the catalog out of nowhere.

And I check the site and the forums to see when new knives are coming out and what is going on. A new customer isn't going to do that neither is a casual customer.

-Bryan
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Personally, I don't see any problem as I'm able to plan at least 6 months only by reading the forums and taking notes on what I've found interesting. Only my 2 cents...
The social revolution is now a fact. As I've discover, I'm a proteiform. The only question that remain unclear is; Who are you?
AllenETreat

All "news" that's fit to print.

Post by AllenETreat »

Hello David!

I agree that the newsroom is under utilized, but as tazkristi said,
:spyder: is a small company - believe me, they're trying!

And, when you think of it, the InterNet is a big place ; if you
can't find it here there's a lot of news on the World Wide Web.

Meebee Sal has a short word on this, as he's president of :spyder: .

Whatta ya' say Sal?

AET :D
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

I'm in no way criticizing anyone's work ethic at Spyderco. I accept that Spyderco is a small company, with limited staff and lots of work to do.

I doubt that Spyderco is aiming he sprint runs at the general knife buying public. Instead, I imagine that it is the "enthusiast" market at which these runs are targeted. My point is, that if all the artwork and printing is done for a document such as the press release on this years Sprints runs, then little additional effort is required to post link, image or PDF file in the breaking news section. Instead, we first see the info via a scan done in the Netherlands
:confused:

Changes/revisions are being made to the website regularly. Every time we see a new knife profiled on the Spyderco.com home page it's because someone has worked on the website. A small company with limited staff needs to take advantage of all efficiencies to get the "message" out. When everyone is busy and fully occupied then prioritization becomes paramount. The prioritization of updates to the Pressroom/News section of this site was obviously a low priority.

I just raised this topic because it seemed to me that this site was being underutilized in getting the message out to a particular target audience - those of us who buy a number of Spyderco knives every year (month).

Kristi has promised we'll see improvements in the near future and I'm looking forward to them!

David
David

crahen

Post by crahen »

Senate wrote:a newsletter delivered by e-mail to let us know the latest news and especially when a new model is being shipped to distributors would be great! :)
That's a good idea ;)

A lot of companies (Leatherman, etc, etc) have e-mails to tell people about what's going on (new products, news, etc).
Those in the know use Spyderco.
sal

Post by sal »

thanx for the input.

sal