Best "work knives"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Best "work knives"?

Post by steelcity16 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:39 pm

Lightweight knives really are where it's at for work, though. I will "flip my ****" when a PM2LW is announced.

The Straight Spine Stretch is pretty close to being a PM2 Backlock LW. Have you tried that?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I too was pleased to see the comments here that went "breaking down cardboard, get a 99 cent box-cutter".

Yep, that's what the pros use -- and for good reason.

And yes. Those MT handles. I just have one or two things to do first .....

Funny what you say about RIT dying your PM2 handles. That is exactly what I did. I had the PM2 scales that had a camo pattern. Don't ask me why I bought those in the first place. The blue RIT dye on those actually worked out pretty good, but that knife was still in the, "grab this one when you just don't care" category. But now it has some CF scales from a Russian maker that are fabulous. I need to take some photos. Another thing on my list.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:06 am
kennethsime wrote:

Lightweight knives really are where it's at for work, though. I will "flip my ****" when a PM2LW is announced.

The Straight Spine Stretch is pretty close to being a PM2 Backlock LW. Have you tried that?
Yup, absolutely love it. The stretch is another favorite of mine, but I'd still like to see a PM2 LW, particularly as a Salt.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I've yet to find a better work knife than the Original Gayle Bradley folder.
Rab

Post by Rab »

[/quote]

I have a SE wharncliffe salt 2 inbound :D
[/quote]

I grabbed this exact model on the forums recommendation a few weeks back, to use as my brewery work knife.

Very happy with it 😊

Cheers 🍻
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like the PM2 for EDC but I thought it was maybe too dainty for work. I thought the Manix 2 would be a little stronger, partly because of the way the blade material continues straight over the top of the spydie hole. I bought a used Manix 2 in 154CM and used it as a work knife when we moved shortly after that. It did a lot of box and tape cutting. Then in our new house my wife kept filling up my garage with empty boxes so I had more cardboard to break down. And yes a box cutter might be more appropriate but I always had the Manix clipped to my pocket. I also found a Franken-Manix where someone had put an M4 blade into black G10 handle and since I've been using that as my work knife. The M4 has a lot of ugly patina but that is appropriate for a work knife.

As a work knife I didn't mind the increased weight of the G10 version and I thought it would be very strong. Then when people were buying the Manix 2 LW version in S110V and trying to take the blades out for swaps they discovered how tough the FRCP handles were. So I decided that the LW version would be good as a work knife. And late to the game I found out that Rex45 might be even better than M4 for work so I bought the recent LW version in Rex45 and immediately started using it around the house. I haven't had to carve on any boards or pieces of aluminum, yet, but I will eventually.

I have the Bradley version 1 and I think it is a good work knife too, but I like the Manix 2 better.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I posted this in another thread but I feel it rings true here...

https://imgur.com/a/LtrUksr

I gave this knife to a friend of mine... a year later, this is what it looks like. I just gave him a SE delica and we’ll see what happens. He does construction/remodels for a living.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

bobnikon wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am
soc_monki wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:41 pm
Sure razor knives work better on cardboard, but I bought my knives to use and use them I shall! Cardboard, paper, plastic, wood... I just want to use my knives.

Gotta justify my purchases somehow! Haha!
I have to say, in my 40+ years carrying a knife, this is the best reason I can see for using a premium folder for cutting cardboard, with dirt, tape, hidden staples, etc. As well as, of course, the LCF (look cool factor).

The cost comparrision just doesn't hold water. A $200+ knife vs a $0.30 blade that could in fact be resharpened if you really want to... that is a lot of semi-disposable blades to make up for the one knife.

But that being said, i still grab one of my premium folders, currently the S45 PM3 (because it is new and shiny).

I will say though, it does a better job than my henkels steak knife on a steak. My son did a double take when he saw me cutting my steak with it. My wife just laughed.

But that brings up the point of having the knife over the box cutter. Versitility. I can go from cutting a box, to opening a bag, to trimming a hot dog or marshmellow stake, to cutting a steak, to... the opportunities (excuses) are endless.

Now, how do I justify the number of premium folders when any one of them would truly do the job just fine... Well that is the sickness, but as far as addictions go it isnt that expensive and a lot less self destructive.

Cheers
Erik
Hi Erik,

Welcome aboard. I certainly agree. The main thing is to have things you enjoy having and to enjoy using them. You could have a Lamborghini and just enjoy driving it to the grocery store.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have two folders that work really well for my work duties. One is a Manix LW S110V with the spine cut down to A) make a thinner blade and B) create a wave hook. The other is a Caribbean SE leaf.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:57 pm

I gave this knife to a friend of mine... a year later, this is what it looks like. I just gave him a SE delica and we’ll see what happens. He does construction/remodels for a living.
A little solvent should clean that black stuff off his blade. That Rat doesn’t look too bad, really. At least he uses it!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:27 pm
prndltech wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:57 pm

A little solvent should clean that black stuff off his blade. That Rat doesn’t look too bad, really. At least he uses it!
Oh yeah, brake cleaner would take it off. The blade is bent so bad in contacts the scales, but it still locks up solid, no screws missing, pocket clip still works fine...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

kennethsime wrote:

Lightweight knives really are where it's at for work...

That's right.

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:50 pm

...The stretch is another favorite of mine, but I'd still like to see a PM2 LW...

I absolutely support !
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wharnie Delica in spyderedge. Terrific cutting power 💪

P.S I only wish they release one in LC200N.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 am

The Manix 2 is like a Shaman that cuts well, with a slightly less comfortable handle, due to less rounded scales.
Check out the hand filling Manix2 Backlock
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 am
Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 am

The Manix 2 is like a Shaman that cuts well, with a slightly less comfortable handle, due to less rounded scales.
Check out the hand filling Manix2 Backlock
I'll have to keep that in mind. It's one of the models I've been considering recently.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wish the Manix Backlock had removable scales. I've been considering trying to cut the (one, random) pin in mine to take it apart and build some more rounded scales. Has anyone done that?
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:49 am
I wish the Manix Backlock had removable scales. I've been considering trying to cut the (one, random) pin in mine to take it apart and build some more rounded scales. Has anyone done that?
I just used a mill file and rounded the edges of the G10. Took 10 min. Much better.
PStone

Post by PStone »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:49 am
I took mine apart when I had one. The only pin I remember is the lockbar pivot. But you shouldn’t have to cut it. Just a tight fit. Should be able to wiggle it free. The linerless natives have a similar pivot pin.