What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Red

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by Red »

Captiva by Randy Wayne White. Quick and simple.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:27 pm
Fairies: A Dangerous History (2018), by Richard Sugg.

Well-researched and very well-written.

Yeah, I know my reading tastes are ‘different’. *shrug*. :)

Jim
Have you read Doctor Norell and Mr Strange?
JTowns

Post by JTowns »

Stephen and Owen King - Sleeping Beauties

I find Stephen Kings books hit or miss, but the highs are really high for me so I keep chasing hoping I find another one I love.
Current Collection: Para 3 LW, Manix 2 DLC, Amalgam, Tenacious, Resilience
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

odomandr wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:11 pm
i have not but Ill check into it. I did listen to zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance...an audio book that reminded me why i dont normally consume that format.... i was on the road driving a good majority of the day though and it was reminded me to reflect on things and how much more I enjoy things when I can slow it all down
If you liked "Zen," you should check out "Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work" by Matthew Crawford. It's amazing. The guy got a Ph.D. from the Committee on Social Thought at Chicago then gave it all up because working with one's hands is just better.

This is the original essay, but he expanded it into a book:

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publicat ... -soulcraft
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:59 am
odomandr wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:11 pm
i have not but Ill check into it. I did listen to zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance...an audio book that reminded me why i dont normally consume that format.... i was on the road driving a good majority of the day though and it was reminded me to reflect on things and how much more I enjoy things when I can slow it all down
If you liked "Zen," you should check out "Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work" by Matthew Crawford. It's amazing. The guy got a Ph.D. from the Committee on Social Thought at Chicago then gave it all up because working with one's hands is just better.

I'm in. Just read the first bit of the essay. As a guy who fixed the dryer roller when they got squeaky or defrosts the freezer still when it needs it, I'm all about this.... Thank you
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:06 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
Not yet. I hadn’t heard of it before, but it looks interesting. Thanks for mentioning it! :)

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Larrin's book. Very good!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:13 pm
My favorite book about motorcycling, I must confess, is The Perfect Vehicle: What it is about Motorcycles by Melissa Holbrook Pierson. At the end of the first chapter, her tears land in her soup and I am hooked. She does not disappoint. Recommended reading for non-riders curious about the riding mystique as well as motorcycle enthusiasts.
I loved that book.

I generally always choose motorcycle based travelogues, in the travel genre nowadays, as well.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:41 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:06 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
Not yet. I hadn’t heard of it before, but it looks interesting. Thanks for mentioning it! :)

Jim
It’s in that interesting space between fiction and myth. A surprising amount of its detail was recognisable from rural English & Irish folklore. The cute fairy is a Disney creation. Faeries are far darker...
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
..."Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work" by Matthew Crawford. It's amazing. The guy got a Ph.D. from the Committee on Social Thought at Chicago then gave it all up because working with one's hands is just better.

It is my firm belief that I would have enjoyed life and been happy
had I not been cursed with the benefits of a higher education.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:29 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
..."Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work" by Matthew Crawford. It's amazing. The guy got a Ph.D. from the Committee on Social Thought at Chicago then gave it all up because working with one's hands is just better.

It is my firm belief that I would have enjoyed life and been happy
had I not been cursed with the benefits of a higher education.
I hear you, I think mine actively hurt me.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JonLeBlanc wrote:

Excellent essay, thanks Jon. :)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:03 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Excellent essay, thanks Jon. :)
I'm glad people are enjoying it!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

After the Ice Age: The Return of Life to Glaciated North America

When I'm not driving trains on my computer anyways. :)
Joe
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Notes from a Small Island (Notes from a Small Island #1), Bill Bryson 1995.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

QANON: An Invitation to The Great Awakening by WWG1WGA
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Who Goes There? The novella that formed the basis of The Thing, by John W. Campbell (1938).

I rarely ever read fiction anymore, but had to make an exception for this.

Jim
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

In case anyone thinks that I am trolling this thread with provocative titles just to "turn the crank" as it were, rest assured that these are books that I have actually purchased, read or am reading. The exception is Sacred Cow which I have yet to begin. Thank you z4vdBt for the tip. I am a rancher, well at least I have not killed all my cows yet, and need to be able to defend myself.

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Finished Witness by Whittaker Chambers. Very good read. He died in the early 60's, at the height of the Cold War, and thus, sadly, did not live to see the decline of Communism and eventual defeat of the Soviet Union.

Also finished rereading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It is definitely my favorite Sci-fi novel of all time.
I have read Crichton's sequel to JP, titled The Lost World, as well as maybe three or four of his other novels, and found them all to fall far short of Jurassic Park in terms of quality and realism.
The original Jurassic Park movie was not too bad (the book is better) but the subsequent movies were all downhill from there, in my opinion.

Right now I am working through the compete works of Shakespeare. Currently, I am reading Love's Labour's Lost.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"