Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19547
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:20 am

standy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:44 am
Mrs standy99 is a entomologist and has a draw full of loupes.

Buying from a entomology supply website is so much cheaper than the same item bought at a jewellery loupe website and the range at a entomology site is 5x more.

Like everything you get what you pay for.

ASCO loupes are one of the best I find
Now this has got my attention!! And I do thank my good Brother BLOKE because I always find his information timely and practical. But this is kind of what I've been looking for. A true professional in their trade taking a hard look at what they find to be high rated.

Entomology is the study of "insects" if my memory is correct. I can certainly see why someone in that field would have need to high quality magnification tools.

Now I've never even heard of "ASCO" loupes and I will check them out. I'm sure your Mrs. probably knows of a good supply house for her studies of the little creatures that tend to make our lives miserable at times :rolleyes: . I will take a look at their line of magnification tools.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19547
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:21 am

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:20 am
standy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:44 am
Mrs standy99 is a entomologist and has a draw full of loupes.

Buying from a entomology supply website is so much cheaper than the same item bought at a jewellery loupe website and the range at a entomology site is 5x more.

Like everything you get what you pay for.

ASCO loupes are one of the best I find
Now this has got my attention!! And I do thank my good Brother BLOKE because I always find his information timely and practical. But this is kind of what I've been looking for. A true professional in their field of endeavor and taking a hard look at what they find to be high rated.

Entomology is the study of "insects" if my memory is correct. I can certainly see why someone in that field would have need to high quality magnification tools.

Now I've never even heard of "ASCO" loupes and I will check them out. I'm sure your Mrs. probably knows of a good supply house for her studies of the little creatures that tend to make our lives miserable at times :rolleyes: . I will take a look at their line of magnification tools.

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby standy99 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:20 am
standy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:44 am
Mrs standy99 is a entomologist and has a draw full of loupes.

Buying from a entomology supply website is so much cheaper than the same item bought at a jewellery loupe website and the range at a entomology site is 5x more.

Like everything you get what you pay for.

ASCO loupes are one of the best I find
Now this has got my attention!! And I do thank my good Brother BLOKE because I always find his information timely and practical. But this is kind of what I've been looking for. A true professional in their trade taking a hard look at what they find to be high rated.

Entomology is the study of "insects" if my memory is correct. I can certainly see why someone in that field would have need to high quality magnification tools.

Now I've never even heard of "ASCO" loupes and I will check them out. I'm sure your Mrs. probably knows of a good supply house for her studies of the little creatures that tend to make our lives miserable at times :rolleyes: . I will take a look at their line of magnification tools.
Colour coded for reference

Magnifications 10x, 6.5x, 5x, 4x, 3.5x 3x, 2.5x

Image

Surprisingly 6.5x is often better than 10x for most things as focus is better.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19547
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:15 pm

standy99 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:20 am
standy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:44 am
Mrs standy99 is a entomologist and has a draw full of loupes.

Buying from a entomology supply website is so much cheaper than the same item bought at a jewellery loupe website and the range at a entomology site is 5x more.

Like everything you get what you pay for.

ASCO loupes are one of the best I find
Now this has got my attention!! And I do thank my good Brother BLOKE because I always find his information timely and practical. But this is kind of what I've been looking for. A true professional in their trade taking a hard look at what they find to be high rated.

Entomology is the study of "insects" if my memory is correct. I can certainly see why someone in that field would have need to high quality magnification tools.

Now I've never even heard of "ASCO" loupes and I will check them out. I'm sure your Mrs. probably knows of a good supply house for her studies of the little creatures that tend to make our lives miserable at times :rolleyes: . I will take a look at their line of magnification tools.
Colour coded for reference

Magnifications 10x, 6.5x, 5x, 4x, 3.5x 3x, 2.5x

Image

Surprisingly 6.5x is often better than 10x for most things as focus is better.
Interesting and quite impressive. You know sometimes "QUALITY" just jumps right out at you sometimes. And this is one of those times. Not to mention they are "Swiss Made" which says a lot. It doesn't really surprise me either with the Swiss making arguably the best watches on the planet.

Thanks for that pic "Standy99" :) Hey I was right about Entomologists studying insects wasn't I?? :D I used to be in the tree service business and we would meet with those entomologists from the state on occasions when we would have an outbreak of gypsy moths and other undesirable bugs. Those guys were always interesting to talk to.

Hey ask your Mrs. if she knows of a good supply house on the web where I can maybe get a good deal on a couple of those. The Bausch & Lomb 8X by 17X I have now is a nice piece but I would like something just a bit higher on the upper end and also possibly just one straight 10X unit as well. And I'm pretty sure these Swiss made units would probably have a more clear resolution as well.

Also if any of you guys here on the Forum know of a decent brand of microscope for looking at knife edges and other tool edges I would love to hear those recommendations as well.

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby standy99 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:52 pm

Yes entomologist was correct.

I’m in Australia so you might find a better place in the US.
Clockmaker.com is probably the cheapest in Aus for these. (Being a loupe that’s worn a lot by watchmakers)
Mrs orders through a lab supply company that they have a account with and most is still done by catalogs that are a few inches thick. Think scientists enjoy looking stuff up more than websites :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19547
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:18 pm

standy99 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:52 pm
Yes entomologist was correct.

I’m in Australia so you might find a better place in the US.
Clockmaker.com is probably the cheapest in Aus for these. (Being a loupe that’s worn a lot by watchmakers)
Mrs orders through a lab supply company that they have a account with and most is still done by catalogs that are a few inches thick. Think scientists enjoy looking stuff up more than websites :D
I've never yet been to your great country but I am going to make there hopefully in the next 2 to 3 years or so. I've been threatening Brother BLOKE to pay him a surprise visit some day :D

With all the wildlife and wilderness you guys have down under I bet there is a huge selection of insects on that continent for sure :eek: . Not to mention all the super bad snakes, Salt Water Crocs and those pesky Kangaroos :p . That is an awesome country you guys have for sure.

I'll check out that website and I'm also going to check out some of the watchmakers ( repairmen) we have here locally in Kansas City, Missouri, USA Earth. I live in a metro area with about 2, 500,000 people and we have 3 huge watch shops that I've aware of that sell Swiss made watches. I bet I might be able to get a good quality Loupe through one of them. I hate buying stuff online most of the time but with an item that is this specialized I might not have a choice. Thanks for your help Bro :)

User avatar
DMgangl
Member
Posts: 938
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga.

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby DMgangl » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:01 pm

I'm a machinist, and I use a loupe and small comparator almost daily. Mainly I use it for inspecting the cutting edge of my tools. Checking the .007" nose radius of cutter, or the teeth of a #0-80 tap are getting hard to see with the naked eye these days.

I have two I keep in my toolbox. One is a 7x B&L. I actually got it when I bought the stone for my wife's engagement ring. I've had it now for 8 years and its still crystal clear. I do keep it in the leather pouch when not in use.
The second is actually a pocket optical comparator. Its made by SPI. Not the highest name brand when it comes to measuring equipment, but this particular model is made in Japan. It is a 10x that has a No.5 reticle.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06554216
This is what the reticle looks like.
https://images.app.goo.gl/4P5LZrnd4zWHHr3q6
This is extremely handy when trying to check very fine details on tiny parts.

Also check out MSCdirect.com it is the life blood of a machine shop. Under their catalog tab. They have flyers for sales. You see loupes pop up occasionally.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby Cambertree » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:16 am

Thanks for the tip, Standy. I just ordered the 10x and 6.5x aluminium ASCO loupes.

I currently use the same Belomo 10x Triplet that Bloke showed earlier.

It’s the loupe of choice for geologists in Australia, I’m told, with its high quality optical glass and robust steel casing.

User avatar
odomandr
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:56 am
Location: Fort Collins CO Earth

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby odomandr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:24 am

Well the company selling the cheap amazon loupe offered a free one to replace the one that arrived with broken led lights. It came yesterday and works as expected. Magnifies the viewing area and illuminates it as well. Can't complain about free and the customer service was great too reaching out to offer that. I have yet to find a US supplier of the asco loupes here in the thread. I may bite the Swiss bullet and order two even though I feel like I only need one.....
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 1551
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby kennethsime » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:12 pm

I posted this over in the Community Sharpening Journal, but figured I'd share here as well!
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:27 pm
Saw this lovely idea in one of the Spyderco Facebook groups today.

Image

Seems much more eye-friendly than a loupe, though it costs just over $100.

Anyone used something like this before?
RustyIron wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:27 pm
Anyone used something like this before?

Yes. I use a USB microscope that plugs into my computer, and the image shows up on my display. The one I use costs $39.95, but it's not as nice as the one in your picture.

I find it so handy that it's always plugged in and sitting on my desk. Mostly, it's an educational novelty more than it is a useful sharpening tool. I think it upped my game a when I first got it. I could have a blade that I thought was really nice, and then when examining it under the scope, see an area where I might have been lazy. So in that regard, it can be useful to a sharpener.
Nowadays, I have the most fun with it by examining blades periodically after use. You can see wear and damage as it occurs.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Microsco ... B00XNYXQHE
I experience a little eye pain after using a loupe + LED. A microscope with a digital display looks much more comfortable.
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly VG-10 Foliage Green
MT27 Mule Team 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 Ranger Green | C36GPGR Military 204p Dark Green

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19547
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 pm

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:12 pm
I posted this over in the Community Sharpening Journal, but figured I'd share here as well!
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:27 pm
Saw this lovely idea in one of the Spyderco Facebook groups today.

Image

Seems much more eye-friendly than a loupe, though it costs just over $100.

Anyone used something like this before?
RustyIron wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:27 pm
Anyone used something like this before?

Yes. I use a USB microscope that plugs into my computer, and the image shows up on my display. The one I use costs $39.95, but it's not as nice as the one in your picture.

I find it so handy that it's always plugged in and sitting on my desk. Mostly, it's an educational novelty more than it is a useful sharpening tool. I think it upped my game a when I first got it. I could have a blade that I thought was really nice, and then when examining it under the scope, see an area where I might have been lazy. So in that regard, it can be useful to a sharpener.
Nowadays, I have the most fun with it by examining blades periodically after use. You can see wear and damage as it occurs.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Microsco ... B00XNYXQHE
I experience a little eye pain after using a loupe + LED. A microscope with a digital display looks much more comfortable.
What do they call that tool and where can you get one? That is a first class set up for guys like us that do serious sharpening jobs.

On the other hand I don't mind using Loupes or other types of magnifying devices. A Loupe can be extremely handy in some situations. I thank the two brothers again for making me aware of those ASCO Loupes. I found a "watchmaker's" tool website that has a good selection and I'm going to buy a couple of them for sure.

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 1551
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby kennethsime » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm

I think they're for coins and jewelry. Available on Amazon, I included a link above. I like the one that Rusty Iron linked as it's cheaper smaller, but looks like it does the same thing.

I'm currently using a 10x - 30x loupe, and while it does work, I find a bit of eye strain. Maybe I should try some ASCO loupes.
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly VG-10 Foliage Green
MT27 Mule Team 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 Ranger Green | C36GPGR Military 204p Dark Green

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19547
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:38 am

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm
I think they're for coins and jewelry. Available on Amazon, I included a link above. I like the one that Rusty Iron linked as it's cheaper smaller, but looks like it does the same thing.

I'm currently using a 10x - 30x loupe, and while it does work, I find a bit of eye strain. Maybe I should try some ASCO loupes.
Well I got to check out a Zeiss German made model and I'm here to testify that they are awesome quality as well. I'm going to check out both Zeise and ASCO loupes. I got to chat with a jeweler here in the town I live in that uses those ASCO loupes. When the professional people are using them you know they are good quality units.

Everything I've ever checked out with the Zeiss name on it has always been excellent quality. I'm new to these ASCO models but I'm convinced they are the real deal just from what I've been reading about them recently.

User avatar
z4vdBt
Member
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: U.S.A. Earth

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby z4vdBt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Bloke wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:29 am
Belomo Triplet 10x loupe. Made in Belarus. It has a steel frame and they claim to use Zeiss lenses.

That's what I've got also.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4720
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby Bloke » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 pm

z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 pm
Bloke wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:29 am
Belomo Triplet 10x loupe. Made in Belarus. It has a steel frame and they claim to use Zeiss lenses.

That's what I've got also.
I think they're an excellent loupe and well priced. I also think you don't truly see the difference in optics till you actually compare a few side by side. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby Cambertree » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 am

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 pm
I think they're an excellent loupe and well priced. I also think you don't truly see the difference in optics till you actually compare a few side by side. :)
I agree, they’re a well made tool for professional use.

Here’s an interesting rundown on loupes from an Australian geologist supply house:

https://www.pilbarageology.com.au/produ ... Loupe.html

It also references BelOMO’s use of Zeiss lenses.

Hey Bloke, do I remember right in that you have a magnifying visor you use sometimes? If so, can you tell us a bit more about that?

Does anyone else use one?

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19547
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 am
Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 pm
I think they're an excellent loupe and well priced. I also think you don't truly see the difference in optics till you actually compare a few side by side. :)
I agree, they’re a well made tool for professional use.

Here’s an interesting rundown on loupes from an Australian geologist supply house:

https://www.pilbarageology.com.au/produ ... Loupe.html

It also references BelOMO’s use of Zeiss lenses.

Hey Bloke, do I remember right in that you have a magnifying visor you use sometimes? If so, can you tell us a bit more about that?

Does anyone else use one?
Thanks for letting us know about "Pilbara Geology". I don't use Amazon for anything at all and I always like to know about the better mom & pop type businesses.

There are a lot of vendors here in the USA that sell Zeiss loupes but it's always nice to know of other good options. Bausch & Lomb are OK but their quality doesn't compete with anything I've seen or used by Zeiss. And learning of these ASCO loupes is great. It seems like all the cheaper units scratch up too easily.

That one device that is similar to a dissecting microscope is most interesting as well. With good magnification you can sure tell if anyone ever carried their folders. I've had at least 3 over the years where I found out that someone had previously carried one that they listed as NIB ( new in the factory box). Good magnification is so helpful in so many ways.

Mike Blue
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 6:52 pm
Location: up the Okanogan river WA

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby Mike Blue » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:44 pm

I have multiple options to use in the shop. This set gets the most use. They are comfortable, interchangeable lenses for different magnifications and have a light built in. https://www.amazon.com/Beileshi-Magnifi ... 77&sr=8-48

Also there are monoculars that are a combination of distance and close focal distance of 10 inches. This makes for a good multipurpose optic. I think Carson makes them.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19547
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Mike Blue wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:44 pm
I have multiple options to use in the shop. This set gets the most use. They are comfortable, interchangeable lenses for different magnifications and have a light built in. https://www.amazon.com/Beileshi-Magnifi ... 77&sr=8-48

Also there are monoculars that are a combination of distance and close focal distance of 10 inches. This makes for a good multipurpose optic. I think Carson makes them.
Mike what is it you do for a living? It sounds to me like you might use Loupes in your line of work? I've thought of "monoculars" which would make it handy to where you wouldn't have to put the object to be studied right up to your face>> which isn't always convenient sometimes.

The one magnifying device I still want to check out further are those double lens loupes ( mini binoculars) like the ones that Dentists, Oral Surgeous and specialty surgeons use a lot. I've thought about checking out dental supply houses. The more you think about it Dentists probably use high powered magnification devices more than most trades do.

But the rock hound ( geologists), jewelers, coin collectors and like the one brother had a wife who is an entomologist who is a scientist that studies insects. I would also think that in the electronics trades you would need high magnification devices in that type of work as well?

Mike Blue
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 6:52 pm
Location: up the Okanogan river WA

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Postby Mike Blue » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:33 pm

I'm a bladesmith at heart but I pay the rent working in healthcare. The above link is a reasonable copy of the double lens headset but at a considerable savings in cost. If it has medical/dental tagged to it the price is automatically 10-15x higher.

I keep a pair in the shop for working on folding blades/inspection and one at my other job for close detailed work. These come with interchangeable lenses so you can have several focal lengths with the same headset. The light really does come in handy but I can go through batteries. I usually have one or two lights behind or to the side to eliminate shadows.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: James Y, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 11 guests