Why all the Manix love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
willc

Re: Why all the Manix love?

Post by willc »

6970D35B-266A-4F42-8EC6-1867698627FA.jpeg
The Manix 2 LW is my most carried Spyderco knife.
Everything about it works well for me.

I just got the Rex45 one and it is my smoothest one out of the box besides my Maxamet one.

I would love to see a back lock version of the LW though.
That would be fantastic.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

If this hypothetical Manix LW backlock retained the refinement of the Manix 2 backlock.....be still my heart :p
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

The current core Spydercos are so good that it really comes down to preference.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20200905-143355_YouTube.jpg
I have a modified manix headed my way. The stock g10 version was perfectly fine, however this slim version has me curious. I feel like this version solves many issues folks have with the manix g10 versions. The manix is a worker not a safe Queen imo. I own quite a few in the manix line-up and would probably say the stretch would be a good model to look at as well.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
psylence

Post by psylence »

Used my Manix G10 rex45 for a year or so, but couldn’t fall in love with it, only with steel :)

It’s bulky in pocket, painful in hand (even tried to file down jimping on handle a bit), hard use handle has nothing with thin tip blade, ball-lock requires a lot of space in handle. CBBL on this manix was too sticky no matter what I was doing. Really hate this knife 🤦🏻

But Manix 2 LW is ok, just not my cake.
Current EDC: 135CFP/217GS/152TIP/41PYL5/223PWH/211TIP/244CF90VP
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I was never a Manix 2 fan but decided to give it a try based on other glowing reviews. In the hand, it feels solid, fits my hand size well. In the pocket, it takes up too much space.
The CBBL is not my cup of tea. Too much force required to unlock especially with my arthritic fingers.
I'll keep my brown M390 and probably gift it to a family member or friend.
z1r

Post by z1r »

psylence wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:46 am
Used my Manix G10 rex45 for a year or so, but couldn’t fall in love with it, only with steel :)

It’s bulky in pocket, painful in hand (even tried to file down jimping on handle a bit), hard use handle has nothing with thin tip blade, ball-lock requires a lot of space in handle. CBBL on this manix was too sticky no matter what I was doing. Really hate this knife 🤦🏻

But Manix 2 LW is ok, just not my cake.
So, I was at the Seconds sale and came across a lot of really nice exclusives in desirable steels. But most were G10 and heavy and I ended up passing. I just had to admit, that I prefer the LW models despite them not being quite as fidgety as the G10 versions. That said, the base model is realy quite a steal when you think about it. Fidgety as can be, great steel, solid as heck!

But, I also realize that while I may like a model, others may not and visa-versa. We all have personal preferences. I'm thankful that Spyderco has soooo many great models to choose from.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I didn't like the Manix when it first appeared, so I bought two of them--lockbacks. Then I didn't like those so much that I bought the "shortie" 80mm lockback Manix. Then I bought two GITD Manix, neither of which I liked. Then I bought the XHP Manix (didn't like it). Then I bought S110V Manix and a SPY27 LW Manix, don't like either of them. Then I bought the Purple Cruwear Manix which REALLY sucks. So overall, I've been really disappointed with the Manix.
Attachments
ManixCollection.JPG
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nice collection Bolster! Never knew you were THAT big of a Manix fan.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:00 pm
Nice collection Bolster! Never knew you were THAT big of a Manix fan.

Ah, if only I had a bigger wallet, my friend, I'd have more...! I see photo posts of the LW REX45 and the LW Maximet and I keenly feel their absence...I recall you have some drool-worthy samples yourself, yes?

PS: Confess I mostly carry the LW versions these days.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Actually I prefer both lock backs I have had for years . The Manix2 in G10 and LWT certainly have grown on me once the mechanism breaks in works like a charm . To say I like the Manix would be a gross understatement. Those who don’t care for it have many other options by Spyderco to enjoy , we are all very lucky we can try out what suits one’s taste . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
psylence

Post by psylence »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:48 am
The Manix2 in G10 and LWT certainly have grown on me once the mechanism breaks in works like a charm
I have Manix LW Maxamet without lock stick, also I have bought two Manix G10 Rex45. One of them didn't have lockstick and I put in my knife case. Second manix had lockstick and I used it for a year, never broke in and I just sold it.
Same thing with recent Viele Phoenix - the ball lock will stick if you'll open it with spydiefick. And I saw a lot of CBBL knives with same problem. As far as I know ceramic ball often helps.
So my experience makes me think that maybe CBBL needs more work inside company. For exmaple: we have SO MANY different comp. locks - from Vesuvius, Gunting, ATR, Paramilitary 1 (even without detent ball) to PM2, Sage 5, Kapara, Smock.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

psylence wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:47 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:48 am
The Manix2 in G10 and LWT certainly have grown on me once the mechanism breaks in works like a charm
I have Manix LW Maxamet without lock stick, also I have bought two Manix G10 Rex45. One of them didn't have lockstick and I put in my knife case. Second manix had lockstick and I used it for a year, never broke in and I just sold it.
Same thing with recent Viele Phoenix - the ball lock will stick if you'll open it with spydiefick. And I saw a lot of CBBL knives with same problem. As far as I know ceramic ball often helps.
So my experience makes me think that maybe CBBL needs more work inside company. For exmaple: we have SO MANY different comp. locks - from Vesuvius, Gunting, ATR, Paramilitary 1 (even without detent ball) to PM2, Sage 5, Kapara, Smock.
Glad to hear you found something compatible to your taste .MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
psylence

Post by psylence »

Just wanted to note long evolution of compression lock.
If CBBL developed the same way as comp.lock did, we would see new CQI Manix with titanium cage, ceramic ball...
Trying to fantasize :)