Shop / garage / beater knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Shop / garage / beater knife.

Post by Tucson Tom »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:19 am
I think once you've decided to use a knife for non knife specific jobs, you're throwing away money on anything more than what you've got now. Edge retention is a lost quality if you're scraping head gaskets because the edge is gonna get jacked up anyway. I'd stick with cheap throw away knives that are tough and easy to sharpen and keep a cheap diamond stone or rod around to put a quick edge on it.

When I was much younger I had a job in a kitchen/deli and I did everything you can think of relating to food and all of that food came in a box that had to be opened and broke down, but I also had to clean deep fryers and grills so I got one of those 5-in-1 painters scrapers and sharpened the little corner so it had a blade edge and I used that for cutting up boxes and could still scrape with it. Then if you do manage to break it they're super cheap to replace.
This is so right on. And you could drill a hole in that 5-in-1 and make believe it is a Spyderco. Maybe that would be trademark violation though. ;) Probably OK for personal use.
acer

Post by acer »

My Beater knives Mora Companion
and victorinox forester. I just can’t beat the hellout of an expensive knife knowing how hard and the risks I have taken to earn the cash to buy the items in the first place if a 20 pound knife will do the job ssfely and adaquatly. Sure I use 200 pound spyderco folders use yes not abuse. Look after your tools they will look after you . ⚔️👍over and in .Out
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I keep a Swick3 as a utility knife and a Mora as a beater knife in my garage.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Red

Post by Red »

benben wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:34 am
Snapped this out the door this morning headed to work. This little 5lb. capacity hanging tool rack from Lowe's is earning it's keep! There's a door just inches away from the right side of this pic that goes out to a side driveway, the trash and recycle cans are out there. That shop knife is grabbed probably 3 or 4 times a week to cut something up to go in the cans. I touch it up on the brown rods on my SM.

VooDooChild, I agree a beater should be cheap, but it's just not as cool as a blade with a hole in it! ;) IMG_2573.jpg
Nice Knipex collection! Also spy some Snap On. Very cool. I like tools almost as much as Spyderco’s!!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
benben

Post by benben »

Red wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:48 am
benben wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:34 am
Snapped this out the door this morning headed to work. This little 5lb. capacity hanging tool rack from Lowe's is earning it's keep! There's a door just inches away from the right side of this pic that goes out to a side driveway, the trash and recycle cans are out there. That shop knife is grabbed probably 3 or 4 times a week to cut something up to go in the cans. I touch it up on the brown rods on my SM.

VooDooChild, I agree a beater should be cheap, but it's just not as cool as a blade with a hole in it! ;) IMG_2573.jpg
Nice Knipex collection! Also spy some Snap On. Very cool. I like tools almost as much as Spyderco’s!!
Thanks Red, that red Mac toolbox that you can barely see on the left is slammed full of Snap-On & Mac tools! I used to be a serious tool junkie! I've worked at dealerships since 1984, and I've been on my fair share of tool trucks!

Me and my dad never missed a car show in Charlotte, when we were at the Food Lion Auto Fair at the speedway he used to get so mad at me......I always knew where every tool vendor was, they mostly had Craftsman and other lesser crap, but there was always some hidden Snap-On & Mac gems hiding in there!

As much as I love Snap-On, and I probably have 6 or 8 pairs of their pliers, NOTHING touches Knipex pliers!! But for fractional tools......wrenches & sockets, nothing touches Snap-On!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Agree with the comments on the Moras for beaters. I have a bunch and keep them in toolboxes, tool bags, cars, bikes, etc.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:20 am
Agree with the comments on the Moras for beaters. I have a bunch and keep them in toolboxes, tool bags, cars, bikes, etc.
Completely forgot about Moras....that is a great option / idea! A gun store in Charlotte keeps them on top of their knife counter out in the open, they’re somewhere around $14.99 I think?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

benben wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:24 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Completely forgot about Moras....that is a great option / idea! A gun store in Charlotte keeps them on top of their knife counter out in the open, they’re somewhere around $14.99 I think?

Yep, pretty cheap! I just get them from Amazon. Which gun store in Charlotte? Hyatt?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:25 am
benben wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:24 am
steelcity16 wrote:

Yep, pretty cheap! I just get them from Amazon. Which gun store in Charlotte? Hyatt?
Yes sir.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

In my garage shop I have a Manix 2 in 154CM and when I'm working I'm usually carrying a manix 2 in M4. I worked in an automotive repair shop a long time ago and if I was doing that now I would be carrying that Manix 2 in M4. I don't care about corrosion resistance and I'm not sure that serrations would be important. I think I would sharpen the knife to a working edge with a coarse stone and then stop there.

When I was working as a mechanic was before modern knives, the only thing reasonably modern was the Buck lockback. I carried an old-timer handed down by my dad. He had broken the tip off of the longest blade so I touched up the break and used it as a screwdriver. I sharpened the blade with a bench grinder and it was good for cutting hoses and even cutting wire. I think a modern sharpening job with a coarse stone would create a toothy enough edge for this kind of cutting. With our modern gadgets I don't know what additional things would be useful to carry- for sure I would carry a good flashlight, and maybe a modern multitool although working around my house I typically don't carry one.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My main knife in my shop is a Mule Team 9Cr18Mo ($20 when they came out) with homemade contoured canvas phenolic (AKA micarta) handle scales. I also use Lenox utility knives and have a Bow River in readiness.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I would second the Mora or a Hultafors. I have one in my garage/shop for exactly such things as scraping epoxy, cutting fiber glass and just about everything else.