POLL: Return of the SpyderSaw? Single bladed or as part of a Dyad?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Retunr of the Spydersaw? As a singkle bladed folder or part of a double bladed one?

- Yes I´d like to see a return of the original Spydersaw
9%
- Yes I´d like to see a return of the Spydersaw but "upgraded" in whatever parameters (steel...)
38%
- Yes I´d like to see a double bladed folder featuring a saw
18%
- No I am not interested in a Spyderco saw-folder in any configuration
35%

Total votes: 55

N. Brian Huegel

Re: POLL: Return of the SpyderSaw? Single bladed or as part of a Dyad?

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 am
Silky Saws are the BEST!

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ch&pto=aue

You may very well be right generally... but not in situatuons where lowest weight and packsize / packbulk are the main concerns... see my previous post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87504#p1449326
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My thing as an older hiker is weight. I think the saw would provide some great cutting power at a low weight. Hey, if it's a Spyderco, it's gotta cut!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Following Warstein’s comment, I think there might be an interest among the members of the lightweight backpacking community in a functional, lightweight folding saw. When you’re trying to get your base pack weight down under 20 lbs, every ounce counts. A Bahco or Silky saw is a great tool, but it’s longer, thicker, and heavier than a SpyderSaw. I know a lot of lightweight backpackers who swear by the Native 5, so perhaps there’s a market there.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
vivi

Post by vivi »

A long while ago there was a Benchmade folder....can't recall the name.

It was a general purpose locking knife like an Axis lock Endura, but on the back of the spine there was a second slipjoint blade.

I could imagine something like that working better for a potential Spydersaw Dyad than the traditional Dyad side by side layout.
:unicorn
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I have one of the originals and they are handy and were reasonably priced. But today I'm not so sure ....I can buy a Silky Saw Pocket boy 130 for about $35. A current production Spydersaw would be in the $150 range, most likely. And by the way, if push-comes-to-shove It's the Bahco Laplander that I make room for in my pack. It out cuts the Spydersaw by a huge margin.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:59 pm
A long while ago there was a Benchmade folder....can't recall the name.

It was a general purpose locking knife like an Axis lock Endura, but on the back of the spine there was a second slipjoint blade.

I could imagine something like that working better for a potential Spydersaw Dyad than the traditional Dyad side by side layout.
You mean the 921 Switchback?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAh
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Silky saws are the gold standard of folding saws, as others have said.

If Spyderco made a folding saw, it would have to be better than the Gomboy and Pocketboy series for me to be interested.

If I had to really save weight on a trip to the bush, I’d take my Silky 240 Gomboy and a fixed blade and leave my axe behind. And I love my axes.

The different teeth sizes and replaceable blades would make them hard to beat with a folding saw with a non replaceable blade.

Having said that, I do find the saw on my SAK Soldier, Hiker and Huntsman quite useful. But if I need to do real work with a folding saw, it’s always a Silky.

My brother in law is an arborist and horticulturalist and he tells me that the Silky hand saws and pole saws are pretty much all the professionals use as well.