My EDC fixed blade carry method

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

My EDC fixed blade carry method

Post by vivi »

I posted this as a reply to another thread, but thought it might warrant its own post.

Over the past few years I spent a lot of time figuring out the best way for me to carry a fixed blade day to day.

It needed to be accessible above all else.
Able to be drawn and sheathed with one hand.
Comfortable.
Discreet when the need arose.
Versatile.

I tried a multitude of systems. While the G-clip is ingenious and versatile (my second favorite carry method) it has drawbacks. It adds a decent amount of bulk, and switching from reverse grip / standard grip / lh or rh / IWB or OWB requires tools I don't carry outside of the house.

I've tried ulticlips,g-clips, tek-loks, static cord setups, in pocket carry and more. But nothing beats a simple paracord loop for me.

I remove the internals from the paracord first, make a loop on the top corner of the sheath, tie a knot, trim and melt the ends. You're looking at about 3¢ in materials.

It has much less bulk than g-clips and tek-loks. It stays flatter if I want to pocket carry or toss it in a pack. It's cheaper than any other carry attachment. I can switch carry to regular or reverse grip draw without having to even loosen my belt, much less having to grab tools to switch a clip to the other side. It works perfectly for hip carry or appendix carry, left hand or right hand draw, strong side or weak side.

It is the most versatile and comfortable setup I have tried, and I have given a lot of thought on how to comfortably EDC fixed blades. By altering the length of the rope you can give it a more discreet or more accessible carry height.

Here is a video of me drawing and sheathing my Street Beat one handed

Here's a video showing how a single loop accomodates a variety of carry styles

First I loop it on to my belt.

Then I tuck the sheath IWB. Here's strong side appendix carry, my favorite method for carrying my Street Beat.

If I want to be discreet, I can push the handle down and it's virtually unnoticeable.

Shirt untucked and it's invisible.

Untucked 3 o clock carry.

Tucked 3 o clock carry.

If I want to switch to reverse draw I suck in my gut and flip the knife around. It's a two second process. I need a torx driver to do that with a G-clip.

I find tucking the sheath into my waist band helps prevent the knife from catching on things, flopping around, rattling, and keeps it out of the way in general. If you are able to conceal carry legally, it also offers unprecedented discretion.

After carrying like this, carrying the "normal" way feels like clipping a folder to the outside of my pocket. It just feels wrong for EDC.

Bushcrafters and long knives like choppers and machetes I'll carry them lower and on the outside of my waistband. Especially if I'm wearing my hiking pack with a thick hip belt, low ride sheaths are a must.

I'd be interested to hear feedback from other people that have tried this.
Last edited by vivi on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
:unicorn
JakeXman

Re: My EDC fixed blade carry method

Post by JakeXman »

I can see how this would be super comfortable and discreet—especially for smaller fixed blades. Time to try to modify one of my mora sheaths :D
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I like it! I'm guessing this is more for self defence than edc? It seems awkward to resheath? Maybe a video would be nice!
/ David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sonorum wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:31 pm
I like it! I'm guessing this is more for self defence than edc? It seems awkward to resheath? Maybe a video would be nice!

It can work for either.

The whole idea was since you don't have to close a fixed blade it should be just as easy, if not easier to put away than a folder.

I think I achieved that.

Here's me drawing and sheathing from a 50% position, more discreet than the one picture but not quite concealed. Not trying to be fast, just being casual.

https://streamable.com/9hubtc
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:48 pm
Sonorum wrote:

It can work for either.

The whole idea was since you don't have to close a fixed blade it should be just as easy, if not easier to put away than a folder.

I think I achieved that.

Here's me drawing and sheathing from a 50% position, more discreet than the one picture but not quite concealed. Not trying to be fast, just being casual.

Yeah that looked simpler than I imagined. Does the paracord go around the belt?
/ David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sonorum wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:51 pm
vivi wrote:
Sonorum wrote:

It can work for either.

I think I achieved that.

Yes. You stick the belt through the loop the same way you would a traditional leather sheath fixed blade. But the knife isn't restricted to one particular carry angle, its dynamic.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:55 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:51 pm
vivi wrote:
Sonorum wrote:

It can work for either.

I think I achieved that.

Yes. You stick the belt through the loop the same way you would a traditional leather sheath fixed blade. But the knife isn't restricted to one particular carry angle, its dynamic.
I think it is a very good idea. Unfortunately I don't have any Spyderco fixed blades but I'll try with my other knives!

It made me think of this video:
/ David
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

This is great! I've been wanting to EDC my Esee Xancudo but was having a difficult time figuring out how to do it discretely in a way that didn't ride high (I really don't like fixed blades that ride high).

I put a little loop of Lawson super thin paracord on it and now it rides really naturally on my waist right in front.

I works great! Thanks!

Also, Sonorum, thanks for sharing that video. It was really interesting!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Excellent tip Vivi, thanks. :cool: :)

Yeah, while there’s a lot of things to like about the G-clip attachment, I find it makes the sheath ride too high for comfortable drawing and resheathing when in the vertical carry position.

And, as you mentioned, the rigidity of the clip makes the whole setup feel a bit bulky.

Getting in and out of vehicles and driving (while out in the bush) is where some knife sheaths can feel quite uncomfortable.

I often use a dangler type setup, or have custom sheaths made with that mode of carry.

I’ll try your loop attachment idea today with my Southfork. Obviously I’ll experiment and adapt to my own tastes, but as you have already done that, what do you find is the optimum length for the loop?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This one kind of makes me tear up :( My late best friend EDCed his STREETBEAT and carried his on his ankle most of the time. I turned him on to Spyderco knives back around 2005 and him and his younger brother both went bunkers over them.

When I turned him onto one of the original, first run STREETBEAT models he was so enthusiastic about it that he rigged up an ankle holster type set up that he was wearing when he passed away. He could deploy it so fast that I could barely see him go to his ankle to get the knife. He also had a set up where he had it tucked inside his Levi Jeans but he mostly used the ankle set up.

He used that STREETBEAT so much that I was sharpening it more often than I was some of my own blades :o Before he passed away he was bugging me profusely to try to get him a full SE version of the Streetbeat. But the set up he had with his ankle holster worked great.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:32 am
This one kind of makes me tear up :( My late best friend EDCed his STREETBEAT and carried his SB on his ankle most of the time. I turned him on to Spyderco knives back around 2005 and him and his younger brother both went bunkers over them.

When I turned him onto one of the original, first run STREETBEAT models he was so enthusiastic about it that he rigged up an ankle holster type set up that he was wearing when he passed away. He could deploy it so fast that I could barely see him go to his ankle to get the knife. He also had a set up where he had it tucked inside his Levi Jeans but he mostly used the ankle set up.

He used that STREETBEAT so much that I was sharpening it more often than I was some of my own blades :o Before he passed away he was bugging me profusely to try to get him a full SE version of the Streetbeat. But the set up he had with his ankle holster worked great.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I have no Spyderco fixed blades or kydex sheaths either but I'm going to modify one of my leather sheaths so that I can tie some paracord to it.
/ David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I generally like to use paracord to turn my fixed blades into danglers, usually by just attaching to the sheath from whichever end I choose and wrapping the cord around my belt a couple times. Being able to attach and detach the sheath without feeding the belt through is a plus. I also neck carry occasionally, but it's more of a pain to access from under my shirt.

This thread prompted me to figure out a simple way to carry a small fixed blade on any type of pant, regardless if I'm wearing a belt or gym shorts. I made a simple PVC clip to add to my normal method of using paracord.

(Apologies for the poor lighting. I don't currently have a Spyderco fixed blade, but I'm hoping to receive an ARK soon.)

If there is concern for the clip becoming detached from the belt, I can wrap it around the belt once, clip it, adjust the length of the cord, and wrap the excess around the belt or sheath. It's very secure when attached that way, though I haven't had an issue using only the clip, not wrapping the cord around the belt. It also appears plenty secure on gym shorts, so far.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Fascinating! Haven’t thought about that! Thanks Vivi! I carry my firearm AIWB, so I could always just throw this on the other side!

Hamilton
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks for sharing Vivi. I certainly want to try something more versatile like this. One other take away is that I need to lay off the sweets and do more crunches. Although it is not as comfortable as yours is, I love my owb Mule sheath that Marcus made for me many years back. I have multiples of the same design. One is on my left backpack strap to allow the blade to be carried horizontal across my sternum. When on my belt it keeps the entire handle above my belt line. This keeps it discreetly under my arm.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

So I tried this setup with the Southfork and it worked great.

The whole sheath carries with a much lower profile. When I want to resheath the knife, I can just pull the sheath out and angle it so I can see exactly where I am placing the needlelike tip.

I went for a bike ride with a light shirt on and the Southfork carried extremely inconspicously and was very comfortable, as well.

Thanks for the great tip, Vivi - I’ll be removing the G-Clips and using this mode of carry with all my Spydie fixed blades now. :) :cool:
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Until I've made a new sheath, I'll show you how I carry my fixed blade when I want it for edc. I'm really interested in trying your technique vivi!

Pancake construction with a simple steel clip. Works for pocket carry as well if one wants.
95mm/3,75inch blade. Not a Spyderco :eek:
/ David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like I said earlier I still rate the TEK-LOK sheath that some of my TEMPERANCE 1 models came with from the factory. It is still a sheath I love to carry and use. Also the factory sheath that came with the first run STREETBEAT models was ideal as well.

I've seen several STREETBEAT models with aftermarket sheaths and most of them were really nice. That STREETBEAT model is just a super ideal fixed blade. I still like the TEMP 1 a bit better but they were both two of Spyderco's early classics.

I would like to see an EDC sheath for the SWICK models. I think that would be a great fixed blade EDC with the right sheath.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

This thread has me considering EDC fixed blade. I have done a lot of fixed blade EDC, but always in a bag on my back. I am hooked on the ease of a folder with a good clip and have a hard time with the pokey nature of fixed blade EDC.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
vivi

Post by vivi »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:41 am
This thread has me considering EDC fixed blade. I have done a lot of fixed blade EDC, but always in a bag on my back. I am hooked on the ease of a folder with a good clip and have a hard time with the pokey nature of fixed blade EDC.
That was my biggest issue. Deploying fixed blades is super easy regardless of carry method. Re-sheathing them quickly and easily took some more figuring out.

If I need to resheath my Street Beat one handed in the dark I can. I index the tip with my pointer finger and guide it back to the sheath. Even carried IWB I don't poke myself.