How do you carry your knives and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JakeXman

How do you carry your knives and why?

Post by JakeXman »

The title says it all. Forgive me if this thread has been posted before; my search yielded no results. If you’re carrying just one, or multiple, or a fixed blade, how do you prefer to carry your knives?

Personally I prefer the outside corner of my right rear pocket. If I don’t have that pocket into my waistband it goes!

I’m curious to see everyone’s opinions on this aspect of the hobby.
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
cabfrank

Re: How do you carry your knives and why?

Post by cabfrank »

Right front pocket, clipped, almost always. The exceptions are the Ladybug and Manbug, because they have no clips, and just ride in the pocket. Fixed blades sometimes on the belt.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Most folders: Rear corner of my right side cargo pocket.

Slip joints: Watch pocket, right side front.

Fixed blades: Horizontal on the belt just to the left of my belt buckle, so the handle sticks out over the belt buckle, toward my right.

Oh, and Manbug hawkbill is always on my keys, which go in my left front pocket.

I'm right handed. If I were left handed, I would likely be carrying on the opposite side (handle, slip joint, and folders on the left, man bug and keys in my right front pocket).
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Work: PE clipped in right front pocket, SE clipped in back right pocket...strictly functional as a righty

Around town: same as above plus a small fixed blade horizontal at 11 o’clock and the handle toward my belt buckle...fixed blade can be accessed with either hand, the left hand in a reverse grip if needed for defense as my right hand moves to my pistol at 4 o’clock

In the woods: PE larger fixed blade on my waist belt, shoulder strap or on the bottom of my chest rig, SE folder in my right hip belt or pants pocket...convenience based on what kit I’m using and what kind of walk I’m taking
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Right pocket edc knife, usually in a stainless of sole sort. Left pocket has a k390 ladybug on my keys. And I’d LIKE to start carrying something else in a similar tough carbon in my back right pocket for doing dumb stuff. Maybe I’ll pick up that cruwear delica... Also sometimes in the winter I’ll put a knife in my inside left pocket of my jacket. But it’s a pain to swap hardware around so I usually don’t bother. Maybe that’s where the delica will go...

And when I’m hiking or doing other outdoorsy stuff I have as little as possible in my pockets so my knife (Usually a fixie) will generally speaking go on my backpack strap or the front left side of my belt.

I’ve never figured out a great way to edc a fixie, some combo of in-waistband with a utili-clip and a suspension cord is probably the way to go.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Ric

Post by Ric »

90%: Right front pocket, not clipped

Summer and holiday / in shorts: Right front pocket or cargo pocket right, mostly clipped

Holiday abroad: front pocket or slingbag
I do not want that someone knows I carry a knife. It's legal here but people are people...
vivi

Post by vivi »

It depends on what I'm wearing, but I almost never clip to my right front pocket.

Running shorts - Standard wear outside of work 1/2 the year. Folders only, any fixed blades go in a pack. I always clip IWB behind my dominant side hip, like this.

Slacks - I only wear these for job interviews or court, so maybe once every few years. For the former, I clip whatever to my right front pocket, for the latter obviously I have no knives on me.

Regular shorts or pants - I shop for shorts and pants that have pockets on the side of the right leg, so I can keep my right front pocket clear for easy access to my large phone. Even if I'm not carrying my phone I'll still clip here, it's more comfortable for me.

Fixed blade carry - I use a method I have never seen anyone else use. I've tried ulticlips,g-clips, tek-loks, static cord setups, in pocket carry and more. But nothing beats a simple paracord loop for me. I remove the internals from the paracord first, make a loop on the top corner of the sheath, tie a loop, trim and melt the ends. You're looking at about 3¢ in materials.

It has much less bulk than g-clips and tek-loks. It stays flatter if I want to pocket carry or toss it in a pack. It's cheaper than any other carry attachment. I can switch carry to regular or reverse grip draw without having to even loosen my belt, much less having to grab tools to switch a clip to the other side. It works perfectly for hip carry or appendix carry, left hand or right hand draw, strong side or weak side.

It is the most versatile and comfortable setup I have tried, and I have given a lot of thought on how to comfortably EDC fixed blades. By altering the length of the rope you can give it a more discreet or more accessible carry height.

video of drawing & sheathing at casual speed - https://streamable.com/9hubtc

video of how one loop can accomodate a variety of carry styles - https://streamable.com/b2064e

I think this is the first time I've shared this method on the forum, so forgive all the photos:

First I loop it on to my belt.

Then I tuck the sheath IWB. Here's strong side appendix carry, my favorite method for carrying my Street Beat.

If I want to be discreet, I can push the handle down and it's virtually unnoticeable.

Shirt untucked and it's invisible.

Untucked 3 o clock carry.

Tucked 3 o clock carry.

If I want to switch to reverse draw I suck in my gut and flip the knife around. It's a two second process. I need a torx driver to do that with a G-clip.

I find tucking the sheath into my waist band helps prevent the knife from catching on things, flopping around, rattling, and keeps it out of the way in general. If you are able to conceal carry legally, it also offers unprecedented discretion.

After carrying like this, carrying the "normal" way feels like clipping a folder to the outside of my pocket. It just feels wrong for EDC. For bushcrafters and long knives like choppers and machetes I'll carry them lower and on the outside of my waistband. Especially if I'm wearing my hiking pack with a thick hip belt, low ride sheaths are a must.

I'd be interested to hear feedback from other people that have tried this.

(please, lets not talk about my shoe problem :D :p :D )
Last edited by vivi on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

When all the attacks started happening in the US, and we had riots here in my hometown that caused significant property damage, I decided folders were no longer cutting it. I carry fixed blades now.

My main every day carry right now is a 4 inch KA-BAR / EK - Jarosz boot knife dagger in S35VN. I tuck the sheath and knife inside my waistband as I leave the house. It is only 4 inches, but I think it will get the job done with my training.

If I see more riots, or I see attacks on people in my town, I have at the ready a BRT BLADEWORKS (Ben Tendick) knife harness for undercover carry of any knife that I want, and right now it is set up and ready to go with an RMJ Tactical Raider Dagger.

BRT BLADEWORKS (Ben Tendick) knife harness is all sold out at the moment. If you want one, then I suggest you watch the video AND go to Ben's website and send him an email and let him know that you are interested in one. He was selling single and double knife harnesses....I'll even buy more for family if they are offered again!

BRT BLADEWORKS (Ben Tendick) knife harness
https://youtu.be/LpTnZX5MRA0

BRT BLADEWORKS (Ben Tendick) double knife harness
https://youtu.be/u5bWmug6eZQ

Tip Down - Single Knife
https://youtu.be/DcCNo0yYoeE
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Hey there Vivi! Thank you so much for sharing your fixed blade carry setup. I routinely take the guts out of paracord for various lanyard type uses and was pleased to see you mention that. I have never seen anything like what you show, but I am definitely going to give it a try. I do like to carry my street bowie from time to time and it will be interesting to see how your method works out with that knife.

And to think I glanced at this thread and thought, what can possibly be said here that is interesting. :eek:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

"How do you carry your knives?"...

With my hands. :D

Folder, right front clipped pocket.

Fixed blade, right side between belt and pants, so that the handle is flipped around. Gives a very quick "dagger down" edge out draw. My preferred knife position if I ever had to use it for self defense. With that said, I dont often carry fixed blades.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Main carry in right front pocket. Secondary in left front pocket. I have my car fob in my right front, house keys etc in left front (keys and knife do not usually interfere with each other). Phone I carry in my back left pocket (I don't like how it feels in a front pocket, how do you guys do it??), wallet in right rear. Recently was tipped off that a Buck 110 fits in the 5th pocket of jeans (at least some) and my goodness it worked when I tried it so now I have a way to carry a 110 without a sheath and without it going horizontal in my pocket! So I will carry a 110 more now...anyway!

Sometimes I'll carry a 3rd knife in my right rear, next to my wallet. Or, as per Vivi, in one of the tool pockets on my jeans. I wear Carpenter pants because, being an electrician, I'll constantly carry tools in my pockets. If I'm not working a knife can go there...just because!

Around the house I'm usually in shorts and will IWB carry a couple of knives. Right now I have my GB2 and a Benchmade Super Freek. If we go outside with the kiddo to play around I'll carry two or three in my jeans, with nothing else but my phone.

As for a fixie...I just use my BK2 sheath hung on my belt. Usually only when we go hiking though. I don't really need it aside from that, or doing some yard work, but I have a hatchet as well so...

i just love carrying my knives, so the more the better!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:37 pm
right front pocket clear for easy access to my large phone.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Clipped in my right front pocket is about the only method I ever use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I tried back right pocket for work, but I keep bending clips...
I put them in my front right pocket with wallet and phone now
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:37 pm
It depends on what I'm wearing, but I almost never clip to my right front pocket.

Running shorts - Standard wear outside of work 1/2 the year. Folders only, any fixed blades go in a pack. I always clip IWB behind my dominant side hip, like this.

Slacks - I only wear these for job interviews or court, so maybe once every few years. For the former, I clip whatever to my right front pocket, for the latter obviously I have no knives on me.

Regular shorts or pants - I shop for shorts and pants that have pockets on the side of the right leg, so I can keep my right front pocket clear for easy access to my large phone. Even if I'm not carrying my phone I'll still clip here, it's more comfortable for me.

Fixed blade carry - I use a method I have never seen anyone else use. I've tried ulticlips,g-clips, tek-loks, static cord setups, in pocket carry and more. But nothing beats a simple paracord loop for me. I remove the internals from the paracord first, make a loop on the top corner of the sheath, tie a loop, trim and melt the ends. You're looking at about 3¢ in materials.

It has much less bulk than g-clips and tek-loks. It stays flatter if I want to pocket carry or toss it in a pack. It's cheaper than any other carry attachment. I can switch carry to regular or reverse grip draw without having to even loosen my belt, much less having to grab tools to switch a clip to the other side. It works perfectly for hip carry or appendix carry, left hand or right hand draw, strong side or weak side.

It is the most versatile and comfortable setup I have tried, and I have given a lot of thought on how to comfortably EDC fixed blades. By altering the length of the rope you can give it a more discreet or more accessible carry height.

video of drawing & sheathing at casual speed - https://streamable.com/9hubtc

video of how one loop can accomodate a variety of carry styles - https://streamable.com/b2064e

I think this is the first time I've shared this method on the forum, so forgive all the photos:

First I loop it on to my belt.

Then I tuck the sheath IWB. Here's strong side appendix carry, my favorite method for carrying my Street Beat.

If I want to be discreet, I can push the handle down and it's virtually unnoticeable.

Shirt untucked and it's invisible.

Untucked 3 o clock carry.

Tucked 3 o clock carry.

If I want to switch to reverse draw I suck in my gut and flip the knife around. It's a two second process. I need a torx driver to do that with a G-clip.

I find tucking the sheath into my waist band helps prevent the knife from catching on things, flopping around, rattling, and keeps it out of the way in general. If you are able to conceal carry legally, it also offers unprecedented discretion.

After carrying like this, carrying the "normal" way feels like clipping a folder to the outside of my pocket. It just feels wrong for EDC. For bushcrafters and long knives like choppers and machetes I'll carry them lower and on the outside of my waistband. Especially if I'm wearing my hiking pack with a thick hip belt, low ride sheaths are a must.

I'd be interested to hear feedback from other people that have tried this.

(please, lets not talk about my shoe problem :D :p :D )
Vivi, I'm absolutely going to try this for spydie fixed blades. I haven't gotten several that I like because I don't like the high-ride g-clip sheaths and I haven't found an alternative that worked for me (and for spydie sheaths) other than ordering a new custom sheath, which is too pricey. I can see this working for smaller fixed blades like the Street Beat.

In general, when I'm outside I prefer a leather sheath for fixed blades, and recently I've started carrying cross draw on my left side. This makes accessing the folder clipped in my right front pocket much easier, and cross draw is very comfortable for me for smaller fixed blades. Larger fixed blades still go right side in lower riding sheaths. If I'm wearing pants with dinky women's pockets, my folder gets clipped in the outside edge of my right back pocket.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can buy 'gutted paracord' (actually just the sheath, with the internals never inserted). If you use it a lot (I do, but not for knives) it's cheaper to buy it that way. It's called Type IIa, or Mil-Spec Mil-C-5040H. I buy rolls of the stuff, because I use quite a bit of it (for parachutes) but have no need for 550 cord (the stuff that most people call 'paracord' even though is has exactly zero uses in modern parachutes).
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I keep a Spyderco folder clipped to my right front pocket and a SAK Hiker in my left back pocket. Left front pocket has a SAK classic SD on a keychain for the nail file and scissors that aren't on my Hiker. If I'm feeling especially spicy, I'll carry a second Spyderco folder, clipped to my left back pocket or on the right leg of carpenter pants. I don't do it often, maybe a handful of times each year, but sometimes having 2 different knives with you, for 2 (or more) different tasks, just makes sense.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I carry one Spyderco clipped inside my right front pocket. Why?....because I have my Glock SF36 36 right next to it. :D
Last edited by justjohn on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My carry varies just slightly with the knives I choose for the day. For instance, I usually carry my primary blade on my right side. Pocket location varries with said pants/shorts. At work, I have a mid thigh pocket on both the left and right side. Like most, my go to location is the rear edge of my right side front pocket..
If my carry blade is tip down only, I may move it to the right rear pocket with the spine to the front seam. This helps to ensure the spine is always trapped into place by a seam.
This is less a concern with Spyderco's back locks and normally only with liner locks or those with a less substantial detent.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

For folders, my main carry (varies, I rotate a lot) rides clipped inside the right-front pocket, always, along with my phone and and some cash in a really slim money clip. My secondary carry is a Manbug with a small lanyard/fob, which rides loose in the left-front-pocket with my keys, and a small flashlight (currently, OLight 3T EOS) clipped. My wallet is in my right-rear pocket and the left-rear pocket stays empty. This is my standard edc set-up and I keep it the same every day.. when I start putting things in different pockets, they tend to go missing.. or at least I think they do, until I remember that they're in a different place..

I don't carry fixed blades often. If I do, they are generally either in my pack, or mounted to the shoulder strap on my pack while out in the woods. On the off-chance they do actually get "carried," my preferred position on the belt when holstered is around 3 - 4 o'clock.

Vivi - I really like your method of carry for fixed blades. I've always been a person who values functional simplicity and cost-effectiveness.. haha, you really can't beat a couple inches of paracord! Also.. Great belt! I've worn that same one for years now. :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..