Any interest in more Phil Wilson collaboration?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Any interest in this one?

Yay
92%
Nay
8%

Total votes: 72

Pancake

Re: Any interest in more Phil Wilson collaboration?

Post by Pancake »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:02 am

When it comes down to it, I have the money to pay for the upgraded models in the specifications that I like(except Vancron Superclean...). So naturally, I'm going to have zero desire to see another budget Phil Wilson design. We already have the Bow River, now lets do something crazy!

As an aside; If I were ever going to buy a Chinese made knife, I would trust no one but Spyderco.

:spyder:
Yeah, I fully get that Sumdumguy. I would also like to see a fixed blade in CPM-10V with really thin grind and so on.....but that knife would cost 350$, not talking about price here in Europe.....

All the high ultra wear resistant steel have their place, but for me, I would like to own another Phil's design in CPM154 then just look at a picture in my phone of a knife that I can't afford it. My limit is 300 €, and I am not sure what was the cost of a Southfork when they were available.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Pancake wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:02 am

When it comes down to it, I have the money to pay for the upgraded models in the specifications that I like(except Vancron Superclean...). So naturally, I'm going to have zero desire to see another budget Phil Wilson design. We already have the Bow River, now lets do something crazy!

As an aside; If I were ever going to buy a Chinese made knife, I would trust no one but Spyderco.

:spyder:
Yeah, I fully get that Sumdumguy. I would also like to see a fixed blade in CPM-10V with really thin grind and so on.....but that knife would cost 350$, not talking about price here in Europe.....

All the high ultra wear resistant steel have their place, but for me, I would like to own another Phil's design in CPM154 then just look at a picture in my phone of a knife that I can't afford it. My limit is 300 €, and I am not sure what was the cost of a Southfork when they were available.
Southfork msrp was $430 so at 35% off for map that was $280 in the US. It was a beautiful knife but a bit pricey as well. At least for something that was going to process game and fish, or get regulated to food prep in camp. Still wish I had one.

I agree with the midrange pricing for a new model. I think Pancake is probably right in some of his pricing assumptions even if I dont want to admit it to myself.

Im wondering if Spyderco gave us a very good price on the waterway, or if Golden can do good fixed blades with g10 for midrange price consistantly? Heck I would take a lc200n Golden made Wilson design if it kept it on the cheaper side. The waterway pricing could be skewing my view on what Golden can produce, but I would like to believe if they can do that knife for $130, then they could give us other fixed blades with better steel options for the $150 price range, or at least $200 price range. Still cheaper than the original Southfork was.
Pancake wrote: ... I am not from America and I don't care where is that knife made. I have Bow River and Waterway and fit and finish is not like night and day difference....because there are pretty dang similar in finish.
Golden made in CPM154 is ok to me.
Take a good hard look at how straight the spine is on that bow river. Then really inspect the grind lines on it. Maybe mine was worse than others?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Im wondering if Spyderco gave us a very good price on the waterway, or if Golden can do good fixed blades with g10 for midrange price consistantly? Heck I would take a lc200n Golden made Wilson design if it kept it on the cheaper side. The waterway pricing could be skewing my view on what Golden can produce, but I would like to believe if they can do that knife for $130, then they could give us other fixed blades with better steel options for the $150 price range, or at least $200 price range. Still cheaper than the original Southfork was.
That is hard to say. I think we get a very good deal on Waterway, given is has LC and machined G10 handle (more machining- higher cost) with internal pins....
What other fixed blades were from Golden, apart from Waterway and Respect?

I agree that below 200 USD is a price that I personally could swallow for Phil's design. Don't know that we can get something more for that money steel-wise.....maybe some tool steel? Like Cru-Wear or even Rex45? Don't know to be honest.

I wonder what Sal thinks about all my crazy threads that I made on forum :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Bump

Yes, I am like broken record. But I just want to see more of Wilson's designs. My wallet is ready for a big hit, so even some fancy steels, or even SPY 27?
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I'd want to see something in one of the exotic steels he us known for, or something new like s45vn or SPY27.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

I kick myself almost daily for not grabbing a Southfork while they were readily available.
CPM154 seems like it would be a great steel for a reissue.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Moar supporters, good good.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’m all for a premium Phil Wilson ... S90V, green G-10 scales. :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:36 am
Sounds good mate, I’d like a bird and trout type of design...

You know, a wee sprig of a knife. :D

I’d get one for sure. :)

I always said you were an ideas man, Bloke! :D
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:34 am
Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:36 am
Sounds good mate, I’d like a bird and trout type of design...

You know, a wee sprig of a knife. :D

I’d get one for sure. :)

I always said you were an ideas man, Bloke! :D
Great minds think alike :cool: :D
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:52 am
Great minds think alike :cool: :D
:D :D :D
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Maybe there is enough support for another Phil Wilson desing collaboration. With fancy steel.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've bought multiples of each of the Phil Wilson collaborations, and also own the B&T that the Sprig is patterned on. I'm definitely in for any of Phil's designs that Spyderco produces.

I'm partial to the Smoke Creek, but that's probably because mine is my all time favorite knife.

I think a fillet knife collaboration would be a good one, too.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Abstained.

I have the Enuff Salt and the Waterway, but am really here for the folders.

If I was here for the FBs, then, Yay!

But not a Bird & Trout pattern. The Waterway is that and then some.

A fillet, you say?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would love to see a Spyderco version of the Smoke Creek. It could be full or partial tang with G-10 or Micarta handles and though some made a joke earlier, I would be fine with VG-10. Honestly, to stay true to Phil's work I think it should be a steel he uses though. CPM154 is still my pick to stay reasonable on the budget.
Photo added because we all need to see these beauties.
Phil's photo
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hmm, Smoke Creek looks very nice.
CPM S90V? CPM 10V? Partial tang? :D
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

That Smoke Creek looks great.

I’d also like to see the Wilson fillet knife project return and make it into production.

Although the price has put me off buying Spydie fixed blades in the past, now that I have a few, I think I’d rather see them continue to be made to a standard rather than an arbitrary price point.

But grind ‘em thin please - that’s the whole point and main attraction of a Wilson design collaboration.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Smoke creek for the win. :D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:02 pm
Hmm, Smoke Creek looks very nice.
CPM S90V? CPM 10V? Partial tang? :D
Mine is K390, which is a steel that Spyderco uses, and that's not widely used in fixed blades, so it might be a good fit to make the collaboration sell (but at a higher price point).

CPM 154 might be a good option for a lower price point. Or even s30v, which Phil seems to have giving his blessing to, and which Spyderco uses extensively.

The partial tang is actually a really nice feature. The balance is amazing, and the knife feels super light in the hand.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How do the bow river/sprig/south fork work as general purpose knives, or are they more fish and game knives?