Cruwear...where do I buy??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blackpearl

Cruwear...where do I buy??

Post by Blackpearl »

Well hello,

I keep hearing about this Cruwear but I cannot seem to find it? Is this Limited Ed or something? How do I get one? I NEED one.

Thank you!
SG89

Re: Cruwear...where do I buy??

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Zwear shaman is expected at anytime, can't think of anything currently available at a decent price
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:26 pm
Zwear shaman is expected at anytime, can't think of anything currently available at a decent price
Am so looking forward to it! :D
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
http://www.bentoboxshop.com/
Thank you! I will look.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wow that’s a gorgeous knife! Thank you!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Blackpearl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:18 pm
Well hello,

I keep hearing about this Cruwear but I cannot seem to find it? Is this Limited Ed or something? How do I get one? I NEED one.

Thank you!
There's been a number of sprint and exclusive runs in various models. You'll likely have to pay a hefty premium to buy something at a dealer that still has some of the sprints in stock. If I were in the market I'd keep an eye on the Exchange over on Blade Forums and buy something on the secondary market for a more reasonable price
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:55 pm
Blackpearl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:18 pm
Well hello,

Thank you!
There's been a number of sprint and exclusive runs in various models. You'll likely have to pay a hefty premium to buy something at a dealer that still has some of the sprints in stock. If I were in the market I'd keep an eye on the Exchange over on Blade Forums and buy something on the secondary market for a more reasonable price
Thank you for the suggestion. I will investigate that option.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

PD#1 Mule still for sale AFAIK
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Skidoosh wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:11 am
PD#1 Mule still for sale AFAIK
I think it went out of stock today. :(

I'm anxiously waiting for the SPY-27 Mule.

For those who don't know, PD#1 is basically the same steel as Cruwear, from a different manufacturer. Spyderco had PD#1 Mules in stock yesterday when this thread started, but they're out of stock now (a day later).
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Ok I’m confused...if Zwear Shaman is “coming soon” why is it sold out??
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Blackpearl wrote: Ok I’m confused...if Zwear Shaman is “coming soon” why is it sold out??
Different websites will list things as sold out even if it hasnt hit the market yet. It just depends on how the website is set up.

Knifecenter had some smooth g10 cruwear exclusives. You could probably track down one of those. A lot of people didnt want smooth g10 scales.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

PD#1 Mule is apparently back in stock at SFO. I just ordered a couple more to make scales for.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Why is cruwear so popular these days?

Please someone explain.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

pantagana23 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:12 pm
Why is cruwear so popular these days?

Please someone explain.
A lot of people like it's great balance of properties, ease of sharpening and corrosion resistance for being a tool steel.

Me personally, I find it was a bit too hyped up. I could get it confused for S30V had it not been etched as Cruwear on both my Shaman and Manix. I find it very average. Not amazing, but not disappointing either (besides the super high pedestal I held it on based on the love of it around here, prior to using it)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

There's the DLT exclusive Cru-wear Delica dropping in a few hours.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87511
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:24 pm
Me personally, I find it was a bit too hyped up. I could get it confused for S30V had it not been etched as Cruwear on both my Shaman and Manix. I find it very average. Not amazing, but not disappointing either (besides the super high pedestal I held it on based on the love of it around here, prior to using it)
I think the reason its on a high pedistal is because it is "average" as you say. When you start getting into steels that really, really excel at something, they are top of the pack in some area, theres a usually negative aspect you have to live with. Stains/corrodes super easy, doesn't hold and edge well, can't put any kind of twisting/torque on it, hard to sharpen, etc. Then you have steels that excel at one aspect, but are still good in others. LC200N is rust proof, but its also pretty tough, sharpens pretty easy and holds an edge pretty well. It is extremely popular. Cruwear is very tough, but it also sharpens pretty easy, holds good edge and (at least in my environment) doesn't really have issues with corrosion. It is extremely popular. I find steels that have a "specialty", but are also average or above in all other aspects makes a good every day knife, because then you don't have to live with any downsides in daily life.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

In metallurgy, chasing the 'cutting edge' of performance usually includes trade-offs. Steels with acceptable performance in a lot of categories are popular because they can suit a wide variety of knives, edges, and end uses.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

Some interesting history to share;

Many decades ago, being a knife Junky with fewer choices than we have today, I purchased a Gerber folding hunter with a steel called "Vascowear". I really liked the steel, probably still have the knife around somewhere. I contacted Crucible and asked about it. They said they had the chemistry and had made the earlier steel. They said they could make it for me. They called it Cruwear.

I ordered enough to make a "Mule Team" run. When the steel came in, they informed me that they had powdered it for me. I was surprised and pleased to have CPM Cruwear. (I like powdered steels). The Mule Team was very popular so we began using it on production knives. The knife afi's like it so we're planning more in the future.

More recently, another foundry began making it and calling it Z-Wear. We'll be using it as well.

sal