POLL: Return of the SpyderSaw? Single bladed or as part of a Dyad?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Retunr of the Spydersaw? As a singkle bladed folder or part of a double bladed one?

- Yes I´d like to see a return of the original Spydersaw
9%
- Yes I´d like to see a return of the Spydersaw but "upgraded" in whatever parameters (steel...)
38%
- Yes I´d like to see a double bladed folder featuring a saw
18%
- No I am not interested in a Spyderco saw-folder in any configuration
35%

Total votes: 55

Wartstein

POLL: Return of the SpyderSaw? Single bladed or as part of a Dyad?

Post by Wartstein »

I once did a poll on a Dyad featuring a saw (viewtopic.php?t=82630) and mentioned that idea again in a recent thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87498&start=40#p1449068)

Now Spyderco actually once offered a saw-folder for a very reasonable price: Pic at the end of the post and HERE https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=51
Just for perspective: This saw has only the weight of a Manix 2 LW (3oz) and offers a 4.9 blade with a 4.7 saw-edge, so clearly more than even a Police 4 (and I think a lot more blade than all leatherman and SAK saws)

I think that´s something I´d absolutely take with me for bushcraft, woodwork and as an emergency tool ((Think of sawing branches for making walking sticks, makeshift crutches, splints, shelter-building...) - especially given the low weight!

What I personally would even prefer: A Dyad / double bladed folder with an SE or CE knifeblade and this saw..

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Re: POLL: Return of the SpyderSaw? Single bladed or as part of a Dyad?

Post by Evil D »

I'd be fine with the standard saw version. If anything maybe slightly longer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I have the SpyderSaw. It's great, but it's not better than my Silky. I don't have any interest in a Spyderco folder that includes a saw because it's just added weight that I wouldn't use. Anything I need an actual saw for I'd use my Silky. Furthermore, if I only needed a small saw to trim some branches or whatever, I'd just suck it up and use the one on my Vic Farmer - assuming I wasn't carrying my Silky (which if I'm in the backwoods, I've usually got my Silky with me).

I hope you get the folder you're wishing for with the built-in saw, but I probably wouldn't buy one.

Now...not to derail your thread, but...if Spyderco wants to make a small pair of scissors to compete with my Vic scissors on my Pioneer X but with an upgraded blade steel (I literally think anything would hold a better edge than the steel on SAKs) and attach it to a knife - I'd definitely be down with that.
--Jeremy
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I voted for option 2 (a new SpyderSaw), but would also be interested in option 3 (the double-bladed version). I own two Bahco Laplander saws—one for my backpack and another for yard work—which I like because they offer a lot of cutting power in a small, lightweight package. I’d probably buy two SpyderSaws: one for backpacking and another for the bug-out bag.

I’d like to see a four-way clip on a new SpyderSaw. The handle should probably be modified from the old Catcherman-style to thicken it up (to enhance grip during sawing) and to help it completely cover the edge when closed (so it doesn’t snag fabric in your backpack). I’m not sure what kind of steel should be used. How did the old AUS-6 perform? Saws are usually carbon steel, so I’m not sure if VG-10 would make a good saw blade (assuming that it’s made in Japan). Perhaps a tool steel would work well.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Leave the Dyad alone. It's fine the way it is.

As for the Spydersaw, I would question how large the market is for it. Me, personally? I wouldn't have any use for one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Problem with saws is 2 things

1) once they are blunt they get replaced. Would have to compete with the cheap ones ( currently pay $9 for the one I keep in the boat )

2) good old wire bush saw is a lot lighter for the once in a blue moon I need one hiking ( And under $10 ) and while camping I would usually have a axe.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well this is one of the few times I'll be the "party pooper". I had one of the original Spydersaws and it was a nice tool. I ended up trading it and really never missed it. There is a Swiss company known as "FELCO" who puts out the very best garden tools on the planet IMO. Since I traded my Spydersaw I've gotten some of the FELCO tools and I've been extremely happy with them.

When you think about it that's not Spyderco's forte anyway. I feel it is a nice collector piece if you ever find one NIB. But I voted NO because I feel that with Sprint Runs everyone wants and the new models that Spyderco has coming down their great product pipeline they have enough on their plate as it is.

Again I voted NO because I would rather see Spyderco focus on their cutlery and great sharpening gear instead.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd like to see it larger. Of course the market is really competitive now. I don't think that was the case when this was first produced.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I voted "no" because:

* I don't think Spyderco can compete from a price standpoint in the folding saw market. I'm sure the quality would be there, but even the Chinese made Byrd Cara Cara sells for more than $30, and you can get folding saws for much less than that. A folding saw made in the USA/Japan/Taiwan factories would probably cost $100 or more. If Spyderco did make a folding saw, it'd probably have to be part of the Byrd lineup to hit the price point needed.

EDIT: If they did make a Byrd folding saw, there's a category of birds known as a "sawbill" (https://www.birdguides.com/articles/ide ... -id-guide/) so they'd have several names that could be used. :)

* Spyderco has finite production capacity that appears to already be maxed out. Producing a folding saw would mean some other model gets delayed or eliminated entirely. And I'd rather see more new knives than a folding saw.

For backpacking, I have a 6" Fiskars saw where the blade retracts into the handle. That's a simpler design than a folding saw, but it works fine. It's $20 and weighs 3.75 ounces (108 grams). It's a well known brand, it's cheap, and it's light. For me, a Spyderco folding saw would have to offer some really compelling advantage over what I've already got, and I just don't see that.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

the more of my cutting tools spyderco can provide the better
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Voted no.

Spyderco has gone beyond its knives-and-abrasives core and done saws and multi tools, all in the laudable spirit of exploration/proof-of-concept, I surmise.

But I don’t think we should ask them to compete with more established saw and multi tool makers.

Spyderco should not be a one-stop shop. It should be, and IMHO is, a place too unique to pass up.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would like a return of the original or a new version.

But there are some really good points being raised. Would I be able to replace the blade in a few years? Would it be better than a Silky Saw given their price range and options?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I have a Spydersaw, but... it just isn't a very good saw. So I'll pass barring a significant redesign.

Hmm. Many, many years ago I think I made a post comparing it to a SAK saw and the Byrd Toolharp (Remember that stinker?). Wonder if I can find it again....

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42404
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

As said above, saw blades wear out and need replacing. I don’t think Spyderco could compete with the Bahco Laplander or Boreal21, or the really cool bushcraft buck saws. The blades in these saws are inexpensive to replace and more importantly, readily available. As great as the SAK saw can be, it is also frustrating to use such a small saw. The Bahco is easy to carry, but it gets smalls small sometimes. I personally don’t think a reissue of the Spyderco saw could capture my interest.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like the idea of one but I don't think they'd make them large enough for me to be interested to be honest. If its shorter than a bahco laplander (8" blade) I'm out. As long or longer, I'll buy one.

In fact I rarely carry the laplander these days, and instead opt for the shorter sven saw if I intend to bushcraft. 15" blade.

I don't find the 2-4" folding saws common on multitools to be very useful.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With companies like FELCO, Corona and Fiskars all selling premium grade gardening tools they have already established a dominance in that market. I truly think Spyderco could spend their R & D and product development in what made them a success to begin with. They have enough to do in the cutlery and sharpening tool market to keep them plenty busy.

I don't remember the SpyderSaw being a very good seller when it was available. Not to mention the teeth on that Spydersaw were difficult to sharpen which turned me off from it.

Now if Spyderco ever wanted to do another type of Multitool I would be thumbs up with that project. But the market for gardening tools is already at saturation point. My "NO" vote stands
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 am
2) good old wire bush saw is a lot lighter for the once in a blue moon I need one hiking ( And under $10 ) and while camping I would usually have a axe.
VooDooChild wrote: ....
But there are some really good points being raised. Would I be able to replace the blade in a few years? Would it be better than a Silky Saw given their price range and options?
vivi wrote: ...
I don't find the 2-4" folding saws common on multitools to be very useful.
JD Spydo wrote: With companies like FELCO, Corona and Fiskars all selling premium grade gardening tools they have already established a dominance in that market. .....
All good points, folks! :)

Still imho the SpyderSawis rather unique (concerning pack size/packbulk and weight for the blade length you get) and would have its place in a special niche:

Size / weight:
The Spydersaw weighs only 3oz, but offers a 4.9" blad
The most comparabla Silky Saw (Pocket boy 130) has twice the weight (6oz), while the blade is just a tiny fraction longer (5.1")
Also, while the Silky certainly will have better ergos in prolongued use due the rounded, more handfilling handle:
The Spydersaw should pack very slim due to ist flat handle scales, while being closed just a tad longer than lets say a Police 4

So: For the weight and probably size of a Sliky Pocket boy one could bring a Spydersaw AND lets say a Pac Salt... and so the Spydersaw should be great whenever:
- If weight and pack size is a concern,
- If one even just heads out with almost no package for doing a bit of bushcraft and firemaking and perhaps wants to carry folder and saw IN the pocket (and yes, the Spydersaw has a pocketclip!)
- If one throws the saw just in an emergency outdoor kit (again, a saw is very helpfull for making clutches, splints, shelters!)
- And: A doublebladed folder in Spydersaw-size (saw and knifeblade) would still be lighter and more compact than a comparable Silky SINGLE bladed saw

@Vivi: Sure a longer folding saw is a lot better for bushcrafting, but the Spydersaw has at least almost a 5" blade, and by that clearly longer than the saws at most multitools

@ JDSpydo: Of course you don´t have to think of the Spyderco as an competitor to actual folding gardening tools! But, as said above, as a very compact, lightweight, and very carryable tool you throw in your pocket or bag when you otherwise would not bring a saw at all (again: Spydersaw AND Pac Salt together don´t weigh much more than a single Manix 2 S30V)

@standy99: Sure the Spydersaw would be something for situations when one won´t go fully equipped for camping and then bring an axe! Plus: Even a small saw can do things an axe can´t (and vice versa)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:55 am
Leave the Dyad alone. It's fine the way it is.
I have no intention seeing the Dyad actually replaced ;)
Yes, it´s fine the way it is for many folks and scenarios
But: For some folks and scenarios and additional variant featuring a saw and a knife blade would be even finer... ;)

And another name than Dyad would be appropriate anyway and my propsed model would be a lot larger than the Dyad (almost 5" blade, about Police 4 size when closed)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Never got a SpyderSaw when they were available, probably would not get one now. Something like that may have come in handy back when I was hunting, but can only think of one time in the past 20 years I wished I had a saw with me while walking in the woods.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I would buy one, but would probably always use my Silky saw in preference in the garden/yard as it’s bloomin’ brilliant and inexpensive.

I would also probably rather use my Vic Rangergrip camping, as it’s saw is also bloomin’ brilliant and the whole knife is inexpensive.