knives that deserve an upgrade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

knives that deserve an upgrade

Post by Abyss_Fish »

So I have some custom scales for my watu in the mail, and in my opinion this makes the knife fully premium. A fancy boy. And I realized there are a few other knives in the lineup that badly deserve the "premium materials" treatment.

I think this could be a whole lineup of standardized upgrades, like the salt series or the s90v and cf series. Think of it as the "premium series", 20cv and micarta...
THE MAIN CONTENDERS
--the ikuchi, high performance cutting in an easy to carry package.
--the kapara, gorgeous and ergonomic knife with a unique negative edge angle.

there's been a lot of talk of new models, but to be honest I think the lineup is fine, we just need some upgrades :)
what models do y'all think could be in this "premium series"? or what materials would you like to see in this series?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Pancake

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Post by Pancake »

S90V Bow River
But that will never happen. No chance to have S90V in China, and I am sure Sal mentioned that he is not going to have the same model made in two factories.

So....comeback of Southfork?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:16 am
S90V Bow River
But that will never happen. No chance to have S90V in China, and I am sure Sal mentioned that he is not going to have the same model made in two factories.

I'd be pleased with the Bow River in CPM154 using Phil's heat treat.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

- Micarta Chaparral
- (Pakka or whatever-)wood Manix
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Pakkawood Lil Native and Manix 2
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 am

More Phil Wilson desing!!! moar!!!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N Salt Upgrade List

Folders:
Micro Dyad
Baby Horn
Kapara
Ikuchi
Catcherman

Fixed:
Street Beat
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

As my signature says.... :D

A Military, Native, Chap, GB1/2, Police, Endura, Delica, and Dragonfly would be a good start!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Solid CF Chaparral (Plain or Marbled)

Peel-Ply CF Caribbean with the same scale details

Any SLIPIT (we need a premium slip joint; CF, Ti or Micarta with a nice steel)
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kiwi 4 - should have been more upscale from the beginning, even the standard ZDP and carbon fiber that so many Seki models got in the past would have been better. Even a simple all stainless version would have been fancier than plain black slabs of G10.

Nilakka - though it did do a great job (I think) of representing the ethnic model it was designed for, I think the design could also really go a long way as a gent's knife and it really needed a non stainless carbon steel to really shine with that blade grind/edge.

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm
Kiwi 4 - should have been more upscale from the beginning, even the standard ZDP and carbon fiber that so many Seki models got in the past would have been better. Even a simple all stainless version would have been fancier than plain black slabs of G10.

Nilakka - though it did do a great job (I think) of representing the ethnic model it was designed for, I think the design could also really go a long way as a gent's knife and it really needed a non stainless carbon steel to really shine with that blade grind/edge.

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
Absolutely agree with all of these. ESPECIALLY the sliverax, I’m in love that design I just don’t vibe with the materials. Even just a 20cv plain g10 sliverax I think would sell much better than its current iteration. I mean look at the smooth g10 20cv smock, that thing disappeared almost immediately.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Bring on a Centofante 5
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
robis1923

Post by robis1923 »

Evil D wrote:

A Caribbean with a new scale would be great. There are plenty of brightly colored, durable options that'd be more appealing than the current iterations.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Pakkawood Rex-45 Manix 2. :)

Failing that I'm definitely happy with my TeroTuf Rex-45 Manix 2, though.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

robis1923 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:37 pm
Evil D wrote:

A Caribbean with a new scale would be great. There are plenty of brightly colored, durable options that'd be more appealing than the current iterations.
The purple from that PM2 would be epic. Even layered with black.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Street Beat and Street Bowie upgrade to S45VN
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I guess I already got my wish with the Seki K390 run! :)

If I'm dreaming I guess my "premium" Taichung line would be DLC M4, that sweet CF they already use, and blacked out hardware on all models possible.

Others?

I know it's early, but the Astute would already get my vote for any kind of upgrade.

Bolstered Pakkawood Manbug seems likely.

Linerless CF PM2 LW, blacked out :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 am
Pancake wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:16 am
S90V Bow River

+1. With micarta handles. Could that happen in China??
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm
Street Beat and Street Bowie upgrade to S45VN
Or if we can go non-stainless, cruwear or 4v. And with a return to micarta handles!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Evil D wrote:

Dlc and purple g10 would be killer on either of these models! I'd especially love a Sliverax material reboot, plus a CQI to strengthen the detent. Not sure why, but ever since I got a Sliverax, I've wanted a dlc and white g10 stormtrooper version of that (or the Smock).
- Julia