Just saying hello

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rp5

Just saying hello

Post by Rp5 »

Hi all,

Been lurking around for a couple weeks, interested in purchasing a Spyderco. Just wanted to say a formal hello to all. Your community seems particularly helpful and welcoming.

Out of curiousity, been trying to decipher an acronym. Is MAP a military appreciation price? I saw a post from a couple years ago comparing MSRP with Factory Outlet price, MAP, and seconds sale price. I'm also pretty interested in the seconds sale, but have read through Sal's comments regarding how complicated it may be in today's environment.
ChrisinHove

Re: Just saying hello

Post by ChrisinHove »

Welcome to the forum!

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but MAP is minimum advertised price. Opinions vary on it’s desirability ...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hi Rp5, welcome to the forum!

Spyderco does offer a discount to veterans, law enforcement, first responders, etc. through its OpFocus program. I suggest checking out Spyderco's website for more information.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:28 am
Welcome to the forum!

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but MAP is minimum advertised price. Opinions vary on it’s desirability ...
Bang on. Whatever MSRP is, multiply it by .7 or .65(can't remember which one) and that's the actual price you should be paying at a dealer. OpFocus is for military/FR
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Hello and welcome Rp5! I think we all started out as lurkers...next thing you know you have way more knives than you ever needed :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Any ideas already which model might become your first Spyderco?
Good thing is: Hard to go wrong anyway... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Welcome, and hide your wallet from yourself!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Thanks.

Yeah, on the way more knives front - haven't pulled the trigger yet, but looking at a PM2 first just because it seems they've reached icon level. Also want a flipper (thinking Amalgam), thought a Dragonfly Hawkbill or Endura Wharncliffe with SE would be cool (considering some of the recent SE love), and a black/black Efficient or Tenacious would be a great starter. Adding up those MSRPs is what got me asking about the discounts.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

If you're active duty military, veteran or first responder the opfocus discount (50% of MSRP) is great. If memory serves it was relatively painless to enroll as well.

Otherwise expect to pay MAP (70% of MSRP) at a reputable dealer. If it's significantly less than MAP it is likely counterfeit. Exceptions being closeouts and sometimes sitewide sales and such.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome aboard Rp5!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Welcome aboard! Also if you’re a certified medical professional like a nurse or doctor, you now qualify for the op focus program too.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum!

Makes sure you consider the Manix 2 as well--that's pretty much an icon in it's own right.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum.

The Paramilitary 2 is a great choice. However, I prefer the Manix 2, especially the light weight. Some also prefer the Endela. You might look at those, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:31 am
Welcome to the forum!

Makes sure you consider the Manix 2 as well--that's pretty much an icon in it's own right.
Thanks. I really like the Manix 2 XL G-10. Definitely will keep it in mind.
Doc Dan wrote: Welcome to the forum.

The Paramilitary 2 is a great choice. However, I prefer the Manix 2, especially the light weight. Some also prefer the Endela. You might look at those, too.
Thanks. Will keep the Manix 2 in mind, not sure I'd love the Endela. I went and checked out a local dealer who only carries the Delica, PM3, and the last was either Endela or Endura. Do not prefer the back locking mechanism in either case. I realize the Dragonfly Hawkbill / Delica Wharncliffe are both back locks, which I said earlier I'd be interested in, but I wouldn't EDC the SE so I could work around it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rp5,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

Hi and welcome...
So many knives to try ... :rolleyes:

Enjoy
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Welcome to the community!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If you've served in the US Military, I appreciate the effort and time that you've spent protecting us.

You can find out more on Opfocus here

https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE