My ideal Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

My ideal Spyderco

Post by Menipo »

Hi everyone!

Though I have been collecting knives for more than 20 years and, in fact, the first expensive folder that I bought was a Military, I am a newbie here. I have 10 Spydercos (CPM-440V Military, ATS-55 C-44 Dyad, ATS-55 Civilian, Spyderco Card, Stainless steel handle/VG-10 Lady Bug, Kapara, Ikuchi, CPM-S110V UK Penknife, CPM-S110V Para 2, and Endura Zome) and a Byrd Cara cara Rescue.

If I could design my own Spyderco, it would be a knife with the blade of a plain edge Endura (shape and size) made of CPM-20CV, carbon fiber handle, compression lock and a wire true deep carry clip (like that of the UK Penknife).

What about yours?

Regards
sal

Re: My ideal Spyderco

Post by sal »

Hi Menipo,

Welcome to our forum. Thanx much for the interest and support. I think you'll enjoy our "family" here.

sal
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

That sounds like a Kapara 20cv exclusive.. i would think it's bound to happen eventually.
•• Beau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Easy question, and I quite recently opened a thread on my personal "ideal Spyderco" (viewtopic.php?t=87153&start=20)

Just the regular, drop point ffg Endura, but fully serrated, serration pattern just like on the Endela.
(At the time being ffg SE only comes in the wharnie Endura, and SE in the drop point Endura only in sabre grind).

Alternatively: Pac Salt 2 in ffg SE (and then probably in LC200N)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:25 pm
Hi Menipo,

Welcome to our forum. Thanx much for the interest and support. I think you'll enjoy our "family" here.

sal
Hi Sal,

Many thanks for your warm welcome. And, overall, many thanks for your wonderful products. I have over 130 folders in my collection (all premium brands, from ZT to Microtech just to mention a couple of names, are represented) but if I had to pick just one knowing that my life was at stake it would be, undoubtely, a Spyderco. Probably the Military or the Dyad.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Easy question, and I quite recently opened a thread on my personal "ideal Spyderco" (viewtopic.php?t=87153&start=20)

Just the regular, drop point ffg Endura, but fully serrated, serration pattern just like on the Endela.
(At the time being ffg SE only comes in the wharnie Endura, and SE in the drop point Endura only in sabre grind).

Many thanks, Wartstein!

Sorry but I did not see your thread. I need to become familiar with the forum(s) ASAP.

I have to confess that I am not a fan of serrated (or partially serrated) edges because they "bite more than cut" IMO. Therefore, I would go for a serrated or partially serrated edge only in a multiple blades knife. The C-44 Dyad is a perfect example. It has been "on duty" in my car many years and the two blades (one plain and one serrated) were the perfect combination for any cutting task.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:33 pm
That sounds like a Kapara 20cv exclusive.. i would think it's bound to happen eventually.
Good suggestion, Buddafucco! I would add texturing the handle to make it less slippery. That is the only con, IMO, of that amaizing knive (one of my favourites).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:45 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Many thanks, Wartstein!

Sorry but I did not see your thread. I need to become familiar with the forum(s) ASAP.

I have to confess that I am not a fan of serrated (or partially serrated) edges because they "bite more than cut" IMO. Therefore, I would go for a serrated or partially serrated edge only in a multiple blades knife. The C-44 Dyad is a perfect example. It has been "on duty" in my car many years and the two blades (one plain and one serrated) were the perfect combination for any cutting task.
Hi Menipo,

No need to be "sorry" at all, I guess no one here on the forum sees and reads every thread! :)
Just go on in creating new ones (threads), especially if those are as interesting as your first (this) one!

/ on the serrations: Man, you joined the forum just at the right time! ;)
Seems to be quite a new liking for Spydercos SE going on right now - I have linked some interesting threads on this for you below this post:

I thought a bit like you about serrations not too long ago. Then I got an Endela SE (3mm blade stock, full flat grind, rather shallow, non-aggressive serrations) and I tell you what: Totally unexpected I was really blown away how great this thing performs! For me better in practically ANY task then plain edge does.

And for the "bite more than cut"-thing: Totally not true in my experience! Spydercos serrated knives cut extremly well, which is no surprise given that the "points" of the serrations initiate a cut better than any plain edge could and then the scallops of the serrations have a much thinner edge angle than almost any plain edge (since the SE blades are chisel grind, so for example don´t have 15 degrees PER EACH SIDE (which adds up to 30 degrees inclusive), but only on ONE side, so a serrated blade would - in this example - stay rather close to 15 degrees INCLUSIVE.

So, I´d recommend: Try one of the newer Spydercos in full flat grind (!) and serrated edge! My recommendation would be the Endela SE, but Delica and Endura wharncliff SE will be at least as good I guess.
If you want to spend a bit more: Caribbean SE, and if less: Tenacious LW SE...

Here the SE-related links, first two quite recent discussions, then two great threads by David / Evil D... one shows what SE can really take and do, the other why you might actually really happened to have SE knives that "bite" more than "cut" (and how SE should be shaped to cut and not snag on material)
Have a look and then try for yourself! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87294 ("Give the spyderedge a chance")
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87389 ("I think I caught SE fever")

viewtopic.php?t=84985 ("SE performance is more than teeth vs no teeth")
viewtopic.php?t=85045 ("Caribbean SE torture test")
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum. We are all pretty normal, here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Hi Wartstein,

Schönen dank for the recommendation and the links to the threads. I will go there in a minute.

I am familiar with SE. In fact, the first three Spydercos that I bought (Military in 1999 and Dyad and Civilian in 2000) were either partially or fully SE.

I was very happy with the way my Military and Civilian cut (being SE) but when I bougth the Dyad and experienced a PE blade, I was amazed. SE cuts extremly well but to perform a precision cut, PE is unbeatable. That is why I said that to have the best of both worlds multiple blade knives are the perfect solution. I think that a Dyad, if manufactured today, would be way ligther than my C-44 as new materials (like CF or titanium) allow to reduce the thicknes of the handle and the overall weigth.

In any case, I will follow your recommendation and will give SE another try. Maybe newer SE Spydercos perform better than the old ones (because of the blade geometry or thickness?). None of the members-of-the-collection-to-be presently on my radar screen (Canis, Amalgam and Native Chief) have a SE version but sooner or later I will find the perfect candidate for the try. :)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:55 am

Welcome to the forum. We are all pretty normal, here.
:eek: :) :) :) :)

Many thanks, Doc!!!
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Endura 4 with linerless OD green G10 scales, Cru-wear steel, and a deep-carry pocket clip would be my ideal Spydie..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well my ideal Spyderco blades have already been made>> that is unless something unseats the two of them. And both of these have been my two "user" favorites for quite some time. But it would be possible for a newer model to catch my fancy but it hasn't been done as of yet.

I'm speaking of a folder and a fixed blade, both Spyderco. My "Ideal" Spyderco folder is the C-60 Ayoob model ( circa 2002). It is a near perfect design for hard use and for tactical purposes as well. My favorite Spyderco fixed blade is the TEMPERANCE 1 model. It came in PE & SE both>> also the C-60 Ayoob came in SE & PE both on it's first run in 2002.

But the TEMP 1 is so good in the kitchen that I use them both ( PE & SE) at least 2 to 3 times a week. The TEMP 1 is also an "IDEAL" outdoor fixed blade knife as well. I never go hunting, fishing or backpacking without my TEMP 1 models.

The only improvement/modification that could make both of them better is for the two models at some point to be re-introduced with a newer/better blade steel. Both of them are VG-10 units and even with that steel they both are super performers. JD :spyder: O
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Hello and welcome Menipo! My ideal Spydie would be all of them ;)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
jdw

Post by jdw »

Welcome to the forum. I am pretty lucky in that both of my ideal Spyderco knives already exist and I have the pleasure of using them. My two favorite carries are a 52100 Military and a Gayle Bradley. I can't imagine anything that would suit my needs better than those two and they are both absolute workhorses. I hope that you enjoy your time here. The board is full of friendly and knowledgeable folks.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:33 pm
does sound pretty close, doesn't it?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:40 am
Endura 4 with linerless OD green G10 scales, Cru-wear steel, and a deep-carry pocket clip would be my ideal Spydie..
Our dream Spydercos are quite similar. You don't mention any change on the lock system so I understand that you are OK with the lock back of the Endura. I would prefer a compression because I sharpen my knives to a mirror polish point. With such a cutting power, putting the fingers in the path of the blade when closing the Endura with one hand makes me sometimes a little bit nervous ... :o
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:05 am
Well my ideal Spyderco blades have already been made>> that is unless something unseats the two of them. And both of these have been my two "user" favorites for quite some time. But it would be possible for a newer model to catch my fancy but it hasn't been done as of yet.

I'm speaking of a folder and a fixed blade, both Spyderco. My "Ideal" Spyderco folder is the C-60 Ayoob model ( circa 2002). It is a near perfect design for hard use and for tactical purposes as well. My favorite Spyderco fixed blade is the TEMPERANCE 1 model. It came in PE & SE both>> also the C-60 Ayoob came in SE & PE both on it's first run in 2002.

But the TEMP 1 is so good in the kitchen that I use them both ( PE & SE) at least 2 to 3 times a week. The TEMP 1 is also an "IDEAL" outdoor fixed blade knife as well. I never go hunting, fishing or backpacking without my TEMP 1 models.

The only improvement/modification that could make both of them better is for the two models at some point to be re-introduced with a newer/better blade steel. Both of them are VG-10 units and even with that steel they both are super performers. JD :spyder: O
Lucky you! The Ayoob is an amazing knife. I considered getting one for my collection many years ago but in the end I did not buy it because I got convinced that it was "too tactical" for me .... :o
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:26 am
Hello and welcome Menipo! My ideal Spydie would be all of them ;)
Many thanks, legOFwhat!

All? Man, I like that approach! :)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

jdw wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:42 am
Welcome to the forum. I am pretty lucky in that both of my ideal Spyderco knives already exist and I have the pleasure of using them. My two favorite carries are a 52100 Military and a Gayle Bradley. I can't imagine anything that would suit my needs better than those two and they are both absolute workhorses. I hope that you enjoy your time here. The board is full of friendly and knowledgeable folks.
Many thanks, jdw! I registered precisely because I got convinced that here one can learn a lot from people who generously share their knowledge and experience.