SpyOpera cqi when

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

SpyOpera cqi when

Post by Abyss_Fish »

SpyOpera cqi fully disassemblable and on pb washers when
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
ABX2011

Re: SpyOpera cqi when

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm guessing never.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:17 am
Uh, it just came out. Get a grip.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Don't hold your breath.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I mean, is it really that necessary? I saw one video and the liners are not magnetic and presumably are made from titanium, blade is stainless, so there is very little to go wrong with corrosion.
Bearings....well, you can't have everything.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:00 pm
I mean, is it really that necessary? I saw one video and the liners are not magnetic and presumably are made from titanium, blade is stainless, so there is very little to go wrong with corrosion.
Bearings....well, you can't have everything.

The liners could be a non-ferrous stainless steel. Would be easy to test if you have one in hand.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The SpyOpera is a utilitarian folding knife designed by Italian custom knifemaker “Max” and originally produced by lionSTEEL®. Through an exclusive collaboration with lionSTEEL, the Spyderco SpyOpera takes this sleek design to the next level by adding a fully accessible Trademark Round Hole™ and a pocket clip.

Its full-flat-ground blade is crafted from M390 particle metallurgy stainless steel and supported by a sturdy back lock mechanism. The blade is housed in a handle made with skeletonized full titanium liners, beautifully contoured brown canvas Micarta® scales, and a stainless steel backspacer. The spines of the blade, lock bar, and backspacer are all meticulously crowned, and a deep-pocket wire clip provides rightside, tip-up carry.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Why do you think this is necessary?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

After the PM2 goes to bearings
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:37 pm
Fair enough tbh
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wait, this is pinned?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:07 pm
Wait, this is pinned?
the scales come off. everything else is pinned.
Lightly insane.

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:08 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wait, this is pinned?
Oh man, that was one of my issues with lionsteel's modern traditionals too. Good to know!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:46 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:37 pm
Fair enough tbh

Putting the para 2 on bearings would completely destroy the knife for me. It already has a super smooth drop shut action (on most of them, at least) so why would we need bearings?

When cutting things that are gritty, or in a dirty environment, bearings suck. I cut open only 2 bags of quikcrete with a ZT and it completely locked up. Bearings were so full of cement and aggregate that the blade just wouldn’t move.

PB washers don’t do that. The knife doesn’t eat itself when it gets a little dirty. Bearings are only fit for a light use knife IMO.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I can't say that I have an issue with bearings. I do prefer the simplicity of PB. But, My Mantra 1&2 are fine knives and they run on supposedly awful bearings.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:03 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:08 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wait, this is pinned?
Oh man, that was one of my issues with lionsteel's modern traditionals too. Good to know!
this knife is made by Lionsteel so... :eek:

as for bearings vs washers. I didnt even use my 0470 one day at work, and a little dirt got in my pocket and ruined the action of the knife. I had to clean it twice to get it smooth again. Love my bearing knives but if I'm going to work in a dirty environment I'm sticking to washers. Anything else it doesn't matter. Love the action on my Amalgam! Really like the bearing cages are full, thick phosphor bronze.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

So it's on bearings and pinned? Yikes. I'm not super interested in the design anyway, but if I was, I wouldn't be now.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a fan of both washers and bearings when well done.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Just so we're clear, this is what I understand about Spyderco's process:

CQI is a manufacturing management philosophy/core value. Typically, it's reflected in a more specific project development/management system that also improves things like efficiency. Sal includes development of new models in his definition of the CQI process.

When we talk about this in the context of Spyderco CQI model changes, we're talking about is Spyderco's policy to make subtle changes to improve their own "evergreen" designs (Sal talks about this a lot here on the forum) for long-term success across thousands of units sold and multiple manufacturing runs. This requires more planning and negotiation than you may think when it comes to revisions that will be implemented by a partner manufacturer, and I'm sure even in-house it's a painful process.

The SpyOpera is a premium-materials version of an existing design with an established history, and they already upgraded the pivot system from washers to bearings based on that history. For all intents and purposes, it *is* the improved version 3.0 of the LionSteel Opera.

If there were a problem/easy improvement to be made, and sales numbers indicated enough demand for a second run, it's always possible you may see something changed, but a major revision like changing the pivot system is highly unlikely.

As far as making it fully disassemblable... If you've got a few tools, you can take anything apart. Replacing those pins with machine screws would take a drill and a tap. But since you can get the bearings out for cleaning already... why do you want to take the frame apart? Are you planning to modify the lockbar?

I have a few pinned Spydercos that I carry frequently, and I've never felt the need to clean anything I can't see when the knife is assembled, except occasionally to take the blade out for rust prevention on my Super Blue Caly. (Which rarely needs that step.)

If you're using it to stir paint, I guess you may want to do a deep-clean... but this is not that sort of knife.

Edit: clarity about the origin of the term.
Last edited by JacksonKnives on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

"CQI" is not exclusive to Spyderco.

It is a part of the design process that can be and is applied in many different industries.
-Nick :bug-red