Who is into fixed blades?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Iole

Re: Who is into fixed blades?

Post by Iole »

Fred Perrin, 2 Dave Murphy, Spyderco, Al Mar
Attachments
IMG_0509.jpg
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Welp, I'd left my Turok on sale on a website and it sold over the week-end !
Thus I am back in the market for an around or over 6" blade I can use outside, basically a bushcraft blade.
Current contenders are ESEE 6HM and Tops Desert Nomad.
I'd prefer something without a swedge because I baton a lot, like chopping for fun and camp chores, the basic bro-craft stuff. The Tops is the upper range of my budget, so think 180€/220$ max.
I always carry a secondary blade (puukko) so it can be different from that.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ThomC wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:39 am
Thus I am back in the market for an around or over 6" blade I can use outside, basically a bushcraft blade.
I'd prefer something without a swedge because I baton a lot, like chopping for fun and camp chores, the basic bro-craft stuff. The Tops is the upper range of my budget, so think 180€/220$ max.
I was in a similar situation and wound up ordering an LT wright GNS, saber ground in 3v....

Still also considering the 6hm for more of a chopper as well....
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:40 am
ThomC wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:39 am
I was in a similar situation and wound up ordering an LT wright GNS, saber ground in 3v....

Still also considering the 6hm for more of a chopper as well....
After much debate with myself and a lot of research and pondering on the aesthethics, I settled for the 6HM for now. I was very much tempted by the Tops War Bowie but didn't want to scare off the people I hike with. Maybe later ^^
I already have plans to Vivi-fy it when it arrives, namely a paint strip, sandpaper and re-sharpening. Also a custom leather sheath for horizontal belt and tip-up backpack strap carry.

LT Wright's blades look sweet, but they're basically nowhere in Europe. Plus I was really looking for a drop-down blade that'd allow me to choke high up for some tasks.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

New neck from Raptorartur Knives. Needle ;)

:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m not “into” fixed-blades, probably because I’m hardly as adventurous as I once was.

Still, apart from my Waterway and Enuff Salt, I do have a few FBs from ESEE Knives (Izula II; ESEE-6) and from Blind Horse Knives (Bushbaby; Bushcrafter; Camp Muk)/L.T. Wright Knives (Genesis; GNS; Patriot). I also have my late father’s Buck Pathfinder. And I found a replacement for my misplaced Browning Skinner 1.

For me, though, Spydie folders are considerably more interesting.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:54 pm
I’m not “into” fixed-blades, probably because I’m hardly as adventurous as I once was.

Still, apart from my Waterway and Enuff Salt, I do have a few FBs from ESEE Knives (Izula II; ESEE-6) and from Blind Horse Knives (Bushbaby; Bushcrafter; Camp Muk)/L.T. Wright Knives (Genesis; GNS; Patriot). I also have my late father’s Buck Pathfinder. And I found a replacement for my misplaced Browning Skinner 1.

Folders still have my heart, but I can't lie that I feel a certain way when I pull out my BK2! It won't slice and dice like any of my Spydies, but it will do many things a folding spydie won't!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:58 am
wrdwrght wrote:

Folders still have my heart, but I can't lie that I feel a certain way when I pull out my BK2! It won't slice and dice like any of my Spydies, but it will do many things a folding spydie won't!
The BK2 looks hand-filling, and there is no question a stout knife is reassuring.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I love small fixed blades, scout carry, for edc. I've been carrying my PD1 Mule for the last few days. I rotate through my CRKT Minimalist clever, Esee Izula, and Mora Eldris most days. The Eldris, I carry in my lfp with a lanyard attached from the sheath to a belt loop. All others ride front right side scout carry.

Especially when working outside in the garden. There is nothing worse than using a folder all day. Then closing it and hearing/feeling the crunch of dirt in the pivot.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 pm
Nice one! :cool: :p
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

przemekspce wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm
New neck from Raptorartur Knives. Needle ;)

Wow. I really like that. Where did you find it?
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

Raptoratur is a member of the knives.pl forum. He also has an instagram profile :)
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 am
soc_monki wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

The BK2 looks hand-filling, and there is no question a stout knife is reassuring.
I had a BK2 and hated it. The Bk10 and Bk12 can do everything the BK2 can do. They are plenty strong, cut better and weigh less. The BK9 can do everything that the BK2 can do plus it is a chopping machine and they weigh the same. Even with a 9 inch blade the BK9 is better at being a knife than the BK2. If I am going to carry a knife that weighs a pound it better be able to chop.

The BK2 is the perfect knife if you ever need to field dress a Buick. I suppose it would be handy if you were ever in a plane or car crash and needed to cut your way out.

It is popular knife and it has sold well for many years. I am glad you like it but I just don’t get it. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:55 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 am
soc_monki wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

I had a BK2 and hated it. The Bk10 and Bk12 can do everything the BK2 can do. They are plenty strong, cut better and weigh less. The BK9 can do everything that the BK2 can do plus it is a chopping machine and they weigh the same. Even with a 9 inch blade the BK9 is better at being a knife than the BK2. If I am going to carry a knife that weighs a pound it better be able to chop.

The BK2 is the perfect knife if you ever need to field dress a Buick. I suppose it would be handy if you were ever in a plane or car crash and needed to cut your way out.

It is popular knife and it has sold well for many years. I am glad you like it but I just don’t get it. :)
That's why we have so many choices! I was actually thinking of a bk10 when I got the 2, but I honestly just fell in love with the 2's profile. It's not for everyone, but I really do enjoy it. Thinned the edge a bit, knocked down the shoulders on the edge (kind of convexed) and got it cleanly slicing paper towels so it's as sharp as a knife needs to be. Still haven't chopped any tree limbs with it like I've been meaning to, but it should do a better job than my ad10 or 4max Scout because of the heft. And I would have no reservations batoning it either if I had to.

It's just a sexy knife to me! Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do love the BK2 blade shape and the handles are amazing. It is certainly a confidence inspiring knife!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 pm
Nice one! :cool: :p
Thanks mate! I thought you might like to see that Balinese Kris! :)

This is not as nice as your Helle with the handmade handle, but it’s still a very nice knife. The BraKar.

Interestingly, when I researched the Helle core steel composition in their laminated blades of that time, it is quite similar to AEB-L.
ShawnL

Post by ShawnL »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 am
Fixed blades have been my most common purchase the last few years

Chris Reeve - Professional Solider (Had to they had discontinued)

LT Wright - Camp Muk (Had to it had a lime green handle)

Spyderco - Junction (Had to they had discontinued)

Spyderco -Mules. (Had to they had discontinued) Back on now....

Couple of Custom Damascus knives from a local knife maker that supplies a fair bit of Damascus steel to the Aussie Knife making market. Surprised he lived in driving distance from my place ( Had to ;) )
One in camel bone and One in buffalo horn. (Lost the camel bone to the misses as soon as I got home)
beautiful leather work..is it custom?