Astute First Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Astute First Impressions

Post by SG89 »

"hey honey can you hold this knife so I can take a picture of your hand for the forum?" lol love it
😂
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

🤣

it's for science!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:00 pm
"hey honey can you hold this knife so I can take a picture of your hand for the forum?" lol love it
😂
That's pretty much exactly what I said. 🤣
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:26 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:21 pm
Nice!

But since I recall you saying that you have rather small hands: In your pic it really looks more like a knife not suited for XL paws, or is it just the perspective (maybe you could post a pic of the Astute in the hand of your husband, if he does not mind... :) )?
Yeah, my hands are small overall compared to my husband's hands, but they're on the long side for a woman's hands. Anyhow, here it is in my husband's hands. He had no idea what glove size he wears, but he can palm a basketball, so I'm guessing it'd be a large at least.

Thanks Julia, that´s really kind of you - and your husband of course (I guess his first appearance here? :) ) !

And actually a surprisingly good fit in his certainly not exactly small hands!
I will definitely thank him for you. ;) I do think this was his first time on the forum as a hand model. :D But I thought these pics might be even more useful to you for size comparison:

- Julia

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks for the review Spydergirl, and everyone else for the further notes, pics and comparisons.

This is such an elegant looking knife. I can see this becoming my go-to gift knife for people with smaller hands or kids. That 8Cr13MoV easily takes screaming sharp edges too...
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:42 am
thanks for your review and pics.

how is the opening? the hole doesn't seem to line up the best with the contour and is obscured on the other side as well. can you still spydie flick it?
It took a few minutes of practice for me, but definitely flickable. It's more of a flick "up" than "out", i.e. parallel to the handle rather than perpendicular to it. But once I got my hand placement and technique now, I can flick like 95%
~andrew
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:10 am
Thanks for the review Spydergirl, and everyone else for the further notes, pics and comparisons.

This is such an elegant looking knife. I can see this becoming my go-to gift knife for people with smaller hands or kids.That 8Cr13MoV easily takes screaming sharp edges too...
Yes. My thoughts exactly.
- Julia

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:46 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:59 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:44 pm

If I may ask: What is your handsize and how does the handle fit in your hand?
I wear size large gloves and the handle feels good in hand but it's noticeably slim by the Spydiehole when opening. I noticed that I need to move my thumb closer in towards my hand than other Spydies that I'm used to. The rounded shape of the rear of handle definitely helps to fill my hand though.

I can take a quick comparison photo between the Endura and Astute later if you'd like.
Thanks!

Yes, I´d appreciate if you post that comparison pic later!

I can comfortably squeeze my pinkie onto the very back end of the handle of the Astute.
-Nick :bug-red
carrot

Post by carrot »

After using the astute for a bit I kinda wish it had jimping.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:46 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:59 pm

If I may ask: What is your handsize and how does the handle fit in your hand?
I wear size large gloves and the handle feels good in hand but it's noticeably slim by the Spydiehole when opening. I noticed that I need to move my thumb closer in towards my hand than other Spydies that I'm used to. The rounded shape of the rear of handle definitely helps to fill my hand though.

I can take a quick comparison photo between the Endura and Astute later if you'd like.
Thanks!

Yes, I´d appreciate if you post that comparison pic later!
I can comfortably squeeze my pinkie onto the very back end of the handle of the Astute.

Thanks for taking the time and effort Mushroom! :)

The handle still looks to be a bit on the short side, but that makes me appreciate even more what a huge amount of cutting edge the Astute has to offer (more than a Manix!) - and, of course: Finally a 2.5 mm bladestock, like Delica and Watu! (And not the "thicker" and imho overbuilt 3mm or even 3.6 mm of many other small Spydies)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:40 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:26 pm
I will definitely thank him for you. ;) I do think this was his first time on the forum as a hand model. :D But I thought these pics might be even more useful to you for size comparison:

Thanks a lot, Julia, those pics are very usefull indeed!

As said in my post above: Amazing, how much cutting edge one gets with that little thing (more than on a Manix).
An Astute in XHP (like the Chap) would be cool...

Though i have to say: The looks are very elegant, but also quite "for females" indeed - don´t get me wrong, that is of no practical importance and a good thing of course since the knife was designed with womens hands in mind.

It´s just - hard to explain - while I really like the looks estheticwise, the Astute (or better: Its handle) does not really "call to me" as being a day to day user that I´d carry a lot... might very well change if I´d actually tested the design in real life!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:29 pm

The distance between the bottom of the edge and the top of the handle concerns me a bit... This thing is going to develop some nicks along the top of that g10 from sharpening, I can feel it.

Not as bad as some knives I've seen but this is still a lil' bit concerning...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:09 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:40 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Thanks a lot, Julia, those pics are very usefull indeed!

As said in my post above: Amazing, how much cutting edge one gets with that little thing (more than on a Manix).
An Astute in XHP (like the Chap) would be cool...

Though i have to say: The looks are very elegant, but also quite "for females" indeed - don´t get me wrong, that is of no practical importance and a good thing of course since the knife was designed with womens hands in mind.

It´s just - hard to explain - while I really like the looks estheticwise, the Astute (or better: Its handle) does not really "call to me" as being a day to day user that I´d carry a lot... might very well change if I´d actually tested the design in real life!
It has darn near the same edge length as a pm2! Pretty crazy.

I've heard people describe designs as "sexy" before, and I think this falls into that category. So I agree there's definitely something feminine about it, but in a way that a lot of men might appreciate. ;)
- Julia

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I got mine a while back from the campsaver deal along with the swayback and siren. I agree with the consensus... A little smaller than I thought, but what a great design! I've been carrying mine clipless (wire clip would've been perfect for this one, or at least a standard 2-56 screw IMO), and it's been a pleasure to use. I think a larger version is inevitable if we keep buying them! Seriously, this is one of the best new designs in a while. I took a few (not so great) pictures a week or so ago but got lazy...

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As said, what I particularly like is the thinner bladestock of this knife. Gives me hope that Spyderco will generally move more towards the imho from a practical point of view superior thinner 2.5 (like the Delica) or even 2.00 (like the Chap) mm stocks at least in smaller new models (instead of 3.00 to 3.70)

The Watu is another example where they did so!
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

Lovely pieces
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I think this might be my favorite new spyderco in some time. It's probably just me (men's small glove size), but the handle absolutely melts in my hand, and the palm swell is magical. I know hoping for a sprint is a pipe dream, but that is where I'm at right now. Such an incredible design!
~andrew
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:54 pm
As said, what I particularly like is the thinner bladestock of this knife. Gives me hope that Spyderco will generally move more towards the imho from a practical point of view superior thinner 2.5 (like the Delica) or even 2.00 (like the Chap) mm stocks at least in smaller new models (instead of 3.00 to 3.70)

The Watu is another example where they did so!
It definitely seems like they're trying to meet demand for thinner blade stock on smaller models, especially after Sal's bombshell about the thinner, longer Enuff fixed blade as well.
- Julia

PSquared

Post by PSquared »

The Astute looks like they shrunk a Barong blade and fitted it in a Leek handle ... I like the look of it but would really have preferred another steel. I know that realistically I could quite comfortably live with 8CR on all my knives but I choose not to yet I’m happy with AUS8 ...first world problems and illogical bias.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

3 weeks later and still loving it Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb