Native 5: Signature Folder vs Lightweight ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: Native 5: Signature Folder vs Lightweight ?

Post by Buddafucco »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:30 pm
Linerless s110v native 5 g10: https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-nativ ... knife.html
Awesome, thanks!
From what i can gather, the Bladehq M4 Native 5 was the 1st to go linerless early last year. It looks like most places still sell the s110v pre cqi version.
•• Beau
Johncjeff

Post by Johncjeff »

Yep. I can confirm that the g10 is now has no liners. I ordered from DLT and was advertised on their site as having liners. This is what was delivered yesterday and I’m not happy with spyderco or DLT. I ordered custom scales that required the liners that I am unable to cancel. I’ll be returning these to DLT on Monday, and beginning my search for the original liner version of the s110v. A heads up from spyderco would have been appreciated :mad:
Attachments
BC13E361-55FE-4E65-8E88-3D5EBAD50E93.jpeg
D05B4108-986C-4369-8759-0EAB13960AA3.jpeg
Last edited by Johncjeff on Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:21 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Linerless s110v native 5 g10: https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-nativ ... knife.html
Awesome, thanks!
From what i can gather, the Bladehq M4 Native 5 was the 1st to go linerless early last year. It looks like most places still sell the s110v pre cqi version.
I noticed in January 2018 the original s35vn g10 base model native 5 began to go linerless and then everything else followed except the s110v... Until now. Sometimes it is really hard to follow with all the surprise CQI that goes on.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Johncjeff wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:25 pm
Yep. I can confirm that the g10 is now has no liners. I ordered from DLT and was advertised on their site as having liners. This is what was delivered yesterday and I’m not happy with spyderco or DLT. I ordered custom scales that required the liners that I am unable to cancel. I’ll be returning these to DLT on Monday, and beginning my search for the original liner version of the s110v. A heads up from spyderco would have been appreciated :mad:

Sorry to hear that, looks like DLT needed to have their item descriptions updated. I have nothing but good experiences with DLT (even managed to score in their exclusives drop) and so far they have one of the best point/rewards system among the knife dealers online.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Johncjeff

Post by Johncjeff »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:54 am
Johncjeff wrote:

Sorry to hear that, looks like DLT needed to have their item descriptions updated. I have nothing but good experiences with DLT (even managed to score in their exclusives drop) and so far they have one of the best point/rewards system among the knife dealers online.
Thanks for the perspective. I’m just frustrated right now. I need to wait until Monday to see if dlt makes it right
Last edited by Johncjeff on Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kiku-

Post by -Kiku- »

Wow, I really had no idea ... And to think that I bought so many items from amazon in the past - any of those could have been an item returned by someone, only to be repackaged and resold to me as BRAND-NEW.

I have a couple more questions about folding knives of blade sizes larger than Dragonfly but smaller than Manix 2 (Example - Para 3, Native 5, etc.):

1. What exactly is the purpose of a liner in regard to the aforementioned blade sizes?

2. Is it better to have a folding blade with a liner or without it (again, in the blade sizes specified) if weight is not an issue?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact.
Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I probably should've read the previous posts more closely and looked at the info on the website instead of relying on the catalog

It's kind of sad that there are no longer any options to get a Native 5 with liners. My S35VN N5 with liners is one of the smoothest Native 5s I have. Plus I was able to add aftermarket scales
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Johncjeff wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 am
nerdlock wrote:
Johncjeff wrote:

Thanks for the perspective. I’m just frustrated right now. I need to wait until Monday to see if dlt makes it right before I totally lose it
Stuff happens! Totally losing it over a knife isn't worth it and it's not going to change anything
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Johncjeff

Post by Johncjeff »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:47 am
Johncjeff wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 am
nerdlock wrote:
Johncjeff wrote:

Thanks for the perspective. I’m just frustrated right now. I need to wait until Monday to see if dlt makes it right before I totally lose it
Stuff happens! Totally losing it over a knife isn't worth it and it's not going to change anything
Up late and had a few too many. Bad combo to be posting on a message board. Overacted last night. I’ll call and see if they have any old versions still in stock. If not I’ll return and move on to find one elsewhere.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kiku,

G-10 has to be machined on a mill. Lite Weights are injection molded.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

-Kiku- wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:38 am

I have a couple more questions about folding knives of blade sizes larger than Dragonfly but smaller than Manix 2 (Example - Para 3, Native 5, etc.):

1. What exactly is the purpose of a liner in regard to the aforementioned blade sizes?

2. Is it better to have a folding blade with a liner or without it (again, in the blade sizes specified) if weight is not an issue?

If weight is not an issue (as you mentioned) imho it is really just a matter of personal preference.

Some random points:

- Liners make the knife more handle-heavy, some like that, some not
- Liners make the handle stronger, but imho that is of no practical relevance since all linerLESS Spydies I tried are still more than strong enough
- Liners make it much easier or even possible at all in the first place to get custom scales
- Liners (sceletonized) tend to collect dust and gunk easier inside the handle plus make cleaning that area harder
- Liners can rust
- Folders with liners tend to feel like "more quality" (though they don´t have to be necessarely)

I personally would go for linerLESS with most models -but partly that is because I DO tend to like lighter knives (while for you weight is not an issue)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)