New here & just bought 3 knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: New here & just bought 3 knives

Post by Wartstein »

Blackpearl wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:53 pm
I went with hubby to a local gun shop today and was pleasantly surprised to see a few Spyderco models. We were able to try the Delica, Smock, Native 5 and PM2. I was so excited to try the Delica but ironically I did not like the feel of it my hand! The handle was very long and narrow so I didn’t feel like I had a good grip of the knife. The PM2 was very large in my hand but was perfect for hubby. He loves that one the best. The Smock was quite big but the button to open the blade was pretty cool. It felt a little bit safer opening and closing it. Out of be 4 knives the Native 5 felt the best in my hands. Glad I bought the Native 5 from St. Nick’s Knives today. At least I know one will fit great. I’m going again tomorrow to see if they have more models!
Just guessing, but since you like the Native ergos, but not so the Delicas, the Sage 5 LW could be another design for you. Not really much larger than a Native though, but at least about 10 % more cutting edge.

Now if the Delica handle feels too narrow for you: Maybe you'd like to try an Endela for a larger folder: Basically a wider, more handfilling (but also longer) Delica handle with a bit less pronounced finger grooves. About PM2 size, but lighter, slimmer, less "blocky" handle than the PM2.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Ok. I will try the Astute as well. Thank you!

So we went back to the gun store today and I asked the nice man if I could see everything he has in stock. Yesterday I was so focused on the length of the blades I didn’t pay attention to the handles and how they fit in my hand. So today I held them all and one stood out the most to me and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I asked him what model it was and he said “Delica”. I was so confused because I tried the Delica yesterday and it was so long and skinny and didn’t feel right! Well turned out it was the Endura that was misplaced in the Delica’s box that I tried yesterday! So for all of you who recommended the Delica you’re absolute correct! I am in love. Unfortunately, they only had black in stock and I wanted something bright and cheerful.

So if I love the Delica would I like Chaparral do you think? I really like the Sun & Moon one. So far I like the fit/feel of the Delica and Native 5 the best. I was so tempted to get the Smock as well. I like how it opens and closes but it’s a lot of knife for a newbie. Anyway, I am going to order these for sure

Ladybug
Ladybug Hawkbill
Dragonfly
Delica

Chaparral Sun & Moon if you think it will fit me well?

Thanks so much!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blackpearl wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:19 pm

So we went back to the gun store today and I asked the nice man if I could see everything he has in stock. Yesterday I was so focused on the length of the blades I didn’t pay attention to the handles and how they fit in my hand. So today I held them all and one stood out the most to me and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I asked him what model it was and he said “Delica”. I was so confused because I tried the Delica yesterday and it was so long and skinny and didn’t feel right! Well turned out it was the Endura that was misplaced in the Delica’s box that I tried yesterday! So for all of you who recommended the Delica you’re absolute correct! I am in love. Unfortunately, they only had black in stock and I wanted something bright and cheerful.

So if I love the Delica would I like Chaparral do you think? I really like the Sun & Moon one. So far I like the fit/feel of the Delica and Native 5 the best. I was so tempted to get the Smock as well. I like how it opens and closes but it’s a lot of knife for a newbie. Anyway, I am going to order these for sure

Ladybug
Ladybug Hawkbill
Dragonfly
Delica

Thanks so much!

I actually was one of those who recommended the Delica and for me it is still the best small folder Spyderco offers (I consider the Chaparral to be VERY small).
Slim, very light despite having liners, great lock and above all: A thin and by that highly functional blade.

Now: I am sure you'd love the Chap! For me, in real use, it has even better ergos than the Native (Chap is more stable in my hand) and a real laser cutter blade! :)
Only thing: For some the lockbar is a bit stiff and hard to depress in the beginning, but it wil break in and there is also an easy mod adressing the issue (should you even have it)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hi Blackpearl.

Now that Sal has welcomed and warned you, I’ll add my voice.

Welcome.

I must say I admire your efforts to equip the entire family. Not everyone here does that, I suspect. But beware the extra slippery slope you now survey. You have more people to keep from going over the edge and down the hole.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome to the forum BlackPearl!

Sounds like you're off a a grea start!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Hi Blackpearl.

Now that Sal has welcomed and warned you, I’ll add my voice.

Welcome.

I must say I admire your efforts to equip the entire family. Not everyone here does that, I suspect. But beware the extra slippery slope you now survey. You have more people to keep from going over the edge and down the hole.
[/quote]

Well too late now. Look who else is in love with the PM2 and left the store with one!
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

The Delica is a great choice. Many different options to choose from. For me it is the perfect size EDC.

Now that you have been Spyder bitten, enjoy the journey.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Blackpearl wrote:

Ladybug
Ladybug Hawkbill
Dragonfly
Delica

Thanks so much!

Figures! I've yet to see anyone with small hands to average sized hands ever dislike a Delica. Lol. :D

If I may put in my hat on the ring, why not the Para 3? Basically a shortened Paramilitary 2. And you're getting the compression lock which is all kinds of cool.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:51 am
Blackpearl wrote:

Ladybug
Ladybug Hawkbill
Dragonfly
Delica

Thanks so much!

Figures! I've yet to see anyone with small hands to average sized hands ever dislike a Delica. Lol. :D

If I may put in my hat on the ring, why not the Para 3? Basically a shortened Paramilitary 2. And you're getting the compression lock which is all kinds of cool.
Oh I have not looked at the Para 3 yet. Hubby came home with the Para 2 yesterday and I admit I had knife envy all night! I kept borrowing it to cut boxes. Lol

All the knives I ordered are coming next week! Can’t wait!
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

My knives came!! Wow the Dragonfly is simply adorable!! Love it!

I’m still waiting for the Ladybug, Hawkbill, Chaparral Sun & Moon and Delica.

Pleasantly surprised at how quickly these items were shipped from different retailers. Happy!
Attachments
9C01A8C9-02AB-4892-81E5-B13B97420BBF.jpeg
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Hi Blackpearl, and welcome.
Feels a bit weird to welcome someone, being quite a new face around here myself.

As someone being more of a user than a collector, although that line get a little mushy sometimes, it could be interesting to know more about how you plan use your knives? If at all..

Personally I prefer my folders to be on the smaller side, but as long as there is a conceivable use case, I won't rule out anything.

From my perspective you made some good choices already. Dragonfly 2, Chaparral LW and Salt 2 (basically a rust proof Delica) are among my absolute favorite and most carried knives.
Keep enjoying your knives and keep us updated. You might want to take your foot off the pedal just a little bit though. Use the ones you have for a while, get to know them and learn about every little quirk of each knife to gain some experience on what works for you and what doesn't. If you do, I think you will enjoy this stuff even more. The rabbit hole is deep, but it can also be meaningful.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:49 pm
Hi Blackpearl, and welcome.
Feels a bit weird to welcome someone, being quite a new face around here myself.

As someone being more of a user than a collector, although that line get a little mushy sometimes, it could be interesting to know more about how you plan use your knives? If at all..

Personally I prefer my folders to be on the smaller side, but as long as there is a conceivable use case, I won't rule out anything.

From my perspective you made some good choices already. Dragonfly 2, Chaparral LW and Salt 2 (basically a rust proof Delica) are among my absolute favorite and most carried knives.
Keep enjoying your knives and keep us updated. You might want to take your foot off the pedal just a little bit though. Use the ones you have for a while, get to know them and learn about every little quirk of each knife to gain some experience on what works for you and what doesn't. If you do, I think you will enjoy this stuff even more. The rabbit hole is deep, but it can also be meaningful.

Thank you for the kind welcome!

I ordered a few that came highly recommended; some I will keep and some will be for gifts. I don’t really have any specific use in mind yet but I’m sure I will find reasons to use them often. I will put a brake on it once I get all the basic ones I want to try. I’m still looking for some fixed knives for the kitchen though.

Edit to say I too lean toward the smaller knives as well...so the two PM -2s and the Manix were purchased for hubby. He really likes the PM2.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Welcome! You seem to have jumped in with both feet! I would make suggestions, but you've already done pretty much what I would have recommended.

You've picked a good variety of different sizes, blade steels, blade thickness, lock types and even a couple of different handle materials. This should give you a good idea of what you like in a knife.

Next up, find a nice weird Spyderco. The hundred Pacer is still available at some dealers and the pochi is coming!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Blackpearl wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:02 pm
My knives came!! Wow the Dragonfly is simply adorable!! Love it!

I’m still waiting for the Ladybug, Hawkbill, Chaparral Sun & Moon and Delica.

Pleasantly surprised at how quickly these items were shipped from different retailers. Happy!
My wife has two Dragonflies. It is her favorite design.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

Hi Blackpearl ....

you've been bitten hard by the spider :) .. but when you see the collection of some of the members yours is still very small. You are going to make friends happy with nice gifts like that ;)

I am also in a hurry to try many knives to find the bests knives for my different uses (apples, edc without apples, hiking....)...
That's a part of the passion.

Good idea to try the Chap, tell us what you think of it

My 2 apples, just because I have no cents in France ;)

FB
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:30 am
Welcome! You seem to have jumped in with both feet! I would make suggestions, but you've already done pretty much what I would have recommended.

You've picked a good variety of different sizes, blade steels, blade thickness, lock types and even a couple of different handle materials. This should give you a good idea of what you like in a knife.

Next up, find a nice weird Spyderco. The hundred Pacer is still available at some dealers and the pochi is coming!
Hahaha you read my mind! I’m a dog lover so I got my eyes on the Pochi! They had me at the tail! Lol
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:13 pm
Hi Blackpearl ....

you've been bitten hard by the spider :) .. but when you see the collection of some of the members yours is still very small. You are going to make friends happy with nice gifts like that ;)

I am also in a hurry to try many knives to find the bests knives for my different uses (apples, edc without apples, hiking....)...
That's a part of the passion.

Good idea to try the Chap, tell us what you think of it

My 2 apples, just because I have no cents in France ;)

FB
Lol. Feel free to give me your two apples any time. Have you received many yet? Do you have a favorite yet?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Aicolainen,

I don't remember welcoming you. sorry. Welcome to our forum.

Hey Pearl,

RUN !

sal
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:40 pm
Hi Aicolainen,

Hey Pearl,

RUN !

sal
Hey at least Sal’s honest about the addictive qualities of his products :D
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

samdasnake wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:40 pm
Hi Aicolainen,

Hey Pearl,

RUN !

sal
Hey at least Sal’s honest about the addictive qualities of his products :D
I think it’s a tad late. Doing my Christmas shopping now. Everyone is getting a knife from me. Lol