Astute First Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Astute First Impressions

Post by The Meat man »

Nice write-up, SG. I appreciate the time you put into it.

It's an interesting model for sure. I like the blade shape.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
carrot

Post by carrot »

Gives me Barong/Khukuri vibes, but with a more generalized shape. I'm excited to try one of these out! Super awesome review SG!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

thanks for your review and pics.

how is the opening? the hole doesn't seem to line up the best with the contour and is obscured on the other side as well. can you still spydie flick it?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:42 am

how is the opening? the hole doesn't seem to line up the best with the contour and is obscured on the other side as well. can you still spydie flick it?
I tried a few times yesterday with my middle finger and I couldn't get enough purchase. I could flick it open with my thumb just fine.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This one as a Ti framelock out of Taichung, would be very nice.

Really great looking design.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks for the review.
I could like this knife with it's slim design (beautiful), thin handle is welcome (the other China knives are a bit thick and heavy).
Whenever they are in stock at my supplier :) .
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:16 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:42 am

I tried a few times yesterday with my middle finger and I couldn't get enough purchase. I could flick it open with my thumb just fine.
thanks. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:01 pm
this looks like an excellent second knife for my kids.
Precisely. It was with a bit of irony that I was scrolling the specs and images of the Astute when my son (11) asks when he can get another knife.

(He currently rotates between and FRN Native and a Dragonfly)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mine is shipping from campsaver, had to ask them to ship without the Rockjumper I pre-ordered at the same time. Can't wait.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

So I've been doing some clip work on this lovely new Spydie -- Here's option #1 (I'm working on two alternatives right now) It's an MXG Titanium Deep Carry Clip for the Shaman. It's a snug fit, but requires absolutely no changes to the knife, screws, or clip. The down side is that the clip clears the end of the knife by about a third of an inch, and while I love deep carry clips, it's a bit more than I care for...

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That's really deep carry.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Still waiting on campsaver, they're really bad at communicating and apparently slow to act. I pre-ordered because they had a 20% off coupon, had to ask them to ship the astute without waiting on the rockjumper, 3 days later still waiting for it to ship...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mine arrived this morning and I'm totally in love. I think this design looks so nice - all curves. It's a bit smaller than I expected, but I have no complaints about that, especially since there is so much edge on this little package. Of course fit and finish are excellent even on a budget spydie. Even the liner lock works for me. My fingers are crossed that it sells well enough to make other colors!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:21 pm
Mine arrived this morning and I'm totally in love. I think this design looks so nice - all curves. It's a bit smaller than I expected, but I have no complaints about that, especially since there is so much edge on this little package. Of course fit and finish are excellent even on a budget spydie. Even the liner lock works for me. My fingers are crossed that it sells well enough to make other colors!
Nice!

But since I recall you saying that you have rather small hands: In your pic it really looks more like a knife not suited for XL paws, or is it just the perspective (maybe you could post a pic of the Astute in the hand of your husband, if he does not mind... :) )?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JuPaul wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/AY5361o.jpg
I got mine today as well and I agree on all fronts! :) I really like the design and for the price, the fit and finish is excellent. Mine arrived razor sharp, perfectly centered, and the detent is nice and strong.

I found it interesting to learn that the design was presented to Spyderco as an "easy to carry knife, especially for women."
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:44 pm
JuPaul wrote:
I got mine today as well and I agree on all fronts! :) I really like the design and for the price, the fit and finish is excellent. Mine arrived razor sharp, perfectly centered, and the detent is nice and strong.

I found it interesting to learn that the design was presented to Spyderco as an "easy to carry knife, especially for women."
If I may ask: What is your handsize and how does the handle fit in your hand?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:59 pm
Mushroom wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

I wear size large gloves and the handle feels good in hand but it's noticeably slim by the Spydiehole when opening. I noticed that I need to move my thumb closer in towards my hand than other Spydies that I'm used to. The rounded shape of the rear of handle definitely helps to fill my hand though.

I can take a quick comparison photo between the Endura and Astute later if you'd like.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:59 pm
Mushroom wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
I wear size large gloves and the handle feels good in hand but it's noticeably slim by the Spydiehole when opening. I noticed that I need to move my thumb closer in towards my hand than other Spydies that I'm used to. The rounded shape of the rear of handle definitely helps to fill my hand though.

I can take a quick comparison photo between the Endura and Astute later if you'd like.
Thanks!

Yes, I´d appreciate if you post that comparison pic later!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:26 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Nice!

But since I recall you saying that you have rather small hands: In your pic it really looks more like a knife not suited for XL paws, or is it just the perspective (maybe you could post a pic of the Astute in the hand of your husband, if he does not mind... :) )?
Yeah, my hands are small overall compared to my husband's hands, but they're on the long side for a woman's hands. Anyhow, here it is in my husband's hands. He had no idea what glove size he wears, but he can palm a basketball, so I'm guessing it'd be a large at least.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:26 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Nice!

Yeah, my hands are small overall compared to my husband's hands, but they're on the long side for a woman's hands. Anyhow, here it is in my husband's hands. He had no idea what glove size he wears, but he can palm a basketball, so I'm guessing it'd be a large at least.

Thanks Julia, that´s really kind of you - and your husband of course (I guess his first appearance here? :) ) !

And actually a surprisingly good fit in his certainly not exactly small hands!