Hi there ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: Hi there ...

Post by RustyIron »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 am
For my 2 daily apples, I needed something a bit longer.
Welcome, Blob.
I did not know that Frenchmen ate apples, I thought you drank them. A few years ago I was I Caen, and I asked a young lady to bring me whatever local beer they drank. She informed me that they don't drink beer, they drink Calvedos. So that night I became a fan of Calvedos.

Rob
foofie

Post by foofie »

Welcome.
I see from your other post that you have moved on to the Watu as well. The fun is only just beginning.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Merci and congrats for french words :)

I have the LW Chaparral ... nice blade for EDC, a good size for me. I love this thin grind -as many seems to- and it is very comfortable in the pocket and in the hand, even in my large hands. For opening letters and boxes, everyday minor (and a bit more) cutting tasks it is perfect. But I needed something bigger. For my 2 daily apples, I needed something a bit longer. So comes the Sage5, CF version.

Wonderful knife, perfect ergos, fidgety compression lock, nice fit and finish. A good purchase, very classy, also very comfortable in the pocket and in the hand. But I am using my knives. I sell knives I don't use. So the Sage 5 goes away...
Why ? For me, the blade is a bit too short for my apples :)

It finally was for me in the same category as the Chaparral.A bit beefier, a bit larger but not filling the role I bought it for. I had the feeling it was on oversized Chap and was very happy with the Chap. In this large category, between Delica, Chaparral, Sage and PM3, there is come competition!!! A least Spyderco gives us a nice choice for those who prefer a bit beefier, lighter more classy ...

And so comes, as says DSH007, the need to buy an new knife... Maybe the Watu ... for my apples :)

I don´t have a Watu, but just looking at it and its specs, if anything is like a clearly bigger Chap - performancewise this knife could be it!
Going by the specs on the Spyderco page, this thing offers a tad more cutting edge than even a Manix, and has the reasonably thin Delica-bladestock (2.5mm) - 2.00 like the Chap would be even better imho, but 2.5 is not bad and in my experience should be more than strong enough for almost any knife task! And certainly for slicing apples... ;)

Spyderco is THE brand for sheer cutting performance and rather thin bladestocks anyway, but I still wish they´d offer more 2.5 or even 2.00 mm blades.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:02 pm
FrenchBlob wrote:
For my 2 daily apples, I needed something a bit longer.
Welcome, Blob.
I did not know that Frenchmen ate apples, I thought you drank them. A few years ago I was I Caen, and I asked a young lady to bring me whatever local beer they drank. She informed me that they don't drink beer, they drink Calvedos. So that night I became a fan of Calvedos.

Rob
Calvados :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Welcome to the community!

You might consider the Caribbean as your next larger apple slicing knife.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Merci and congrats for french words :)

I have the LW Chaparral ... nice blade for EDC, a good size for me. I love this thin grind -as many seems to- and it is very comfortable in the pocket and in the hand, even in my large hands. For opening letters and boxes, everyday minor (and a bit more) cutting tasks it is perfect. But I needed something bigger. For my 2 daily apples, I needed something a bit longer. So comes the Sage5, CF version.

Wonderful knife, perfect ergos, fidgety compression lock, nice fit and finish. A good purchase, very classy, also very comfortable in the pocket and in the hand. But I am using my knives. I sell knives I don't use. So the Sage 5 goes away...
Why ? For me, the blade is a bit too short for my apples :)

It finally was for me in the same category as the Chaparral.A bit beefier, a bit larger but not filling the role I bought it for. I had the feeling it was on oversized Chap and was very happy with the Chap. In this large category, between Delica, Chaparral, Sage and PM3, there is come competition!!! A least Spyderco gives us a nice choice for those who prefer a bit beefier, lighter more classy ...

And so comes, as says DSH007, the need to buy an new knife... Maybe the Watu ... for my apples :)
The Watu is definitely a solid choice for apple-cutting! Let us know how you like it!

Hah, another thing you'll come to notice is that there are a lot of enablers here! ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Hello and welcome!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Bienvenue!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Welcome
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks for the rundown on the knives and how you use them, FB.

I always like to hear about the daily uses that people put their knives to.

The Endura is a pretty nice knife for apples and peeling and slicing fruit and veg with.

My Enduras are often tasked with camp knife food prep duty, when I’m out in the bush.

Out of curiosity, what kind of apples do you like to eat in France?

I live in south east Australia, in a place that has very rich, red volcanic soil. We have many plant nurseries and berry and fruit orchards here.

The Fuji apples are quite popular here, as well as the New Zealand Jazz apples, which were bred to be smaller and especially crisp and flavourful, for kids lunchboxes.

One of the early successful colonial industries here was apple growing, because the fruit could be exported to Britain during their winter time.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome to the forums Blob!

I hope you enjoy you time on the forums.

Somewhere back in time a portion of my family were Huguenots who fled France in the 17th century. I haven't been back yet, but it sure is a beautiful country. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:23 pm
Thanks for the rundown on the knives and how you use them, FB.

I always like to hear about the daily uses that people put their knives to.

The Endura is a pretty nice knife for apples and peeling and slicing fruit and veg with.

My Enduras are often tasked with camp knife food prep duty, when I’m out in the bush.

Out of curiosity, what kind of apples do you like to eat in France?

I live in south east Australia, in a place that has very rich, red volcanic soil. We have many plant nurseries and berry and fruit orchards here.

The Fuji apples are quite popular here, as well as the New Zealand Jazz apples, which were bred to be smaller and especially crisp and flavourful, for kids lunchboxes.

One of the early successful colonial industries here was apple growing, because the fruit could be exported to Britain during their winter time.

I just have to second the recommendation of the Endura as a food prep knife - generally, and of course especially when hiking or in a camp (of course a dedicated kitchen knife is even better).

When hiking I´d often want to bring my Endela SE (cause I love the serrations) or my Manix 2 LW /Stretch 1 (cause I enjoy the designs), but from a practical point of view the Endura is just "better", due to its long cutting edge, and a blade that is as "slicey" as the blade of the other three models.

If food prep is a tasks you´re thinking of: Of course one has to go with the ffg Endura, not the sg.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

RustyIron wrote:
So that night I became a fan of Calvedos.

Rob
Nice to hear it. I stick with eating apples. To much bad Calvados, distilled by grandfathers in their garage. At least, eating apples allows me to use my knives ;)

I particularly like Golden Delicious (!) Apples - soft ang classicand Pink Lady -more crispy, bit of acidity , cultivated north from where I live.
And Littlle Reinete for cooking, abit sour without too much sugar.

Thx for advices for my apple's "guillotine".. Exactly the knives I was "checking" : Endura ffg and Caribbean -but a bit impressed by the size of the Last. I will focus first on Watu and/or Endura, give them a try ..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Endura and would highly recommend it. There is plenty of blade, but not too much blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

RustyIron wrote:

Rob
Nice to hear it. I stick with eating apples. To much bad Calvados, distilled by grandfathers in their garage. At least, eating apples allows me to use my knives ;)

I particularly like Golden Delicious (!) Apples - soft ang classicand Pink Lady -more crispy, bit of acidity , cultivated north from where I live.

Thx for advices for my apple's "guillotine".. Exactly the knives I was "checking" : Endura ffg and Caribbean -but a bit impressed by the size of the Last. I will focus first on Watu and/or Endura, give them a try ..
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:18 am
@ austrian_spyder_fan : I am from south of France, near mediterranean sea and french riviera ... Nice area, very sunny and warm ... But my passion is more towards the mountains than the sea. Hiking, mountain views and picnic with "saucisson" (french dried sausage) cheese, bread and an apple is more my cup of tea... So my need for a slicy knife ;-)

@ warstein : really nice sun and moon version. Didn't have the chance to handle one .. but wait and see...
I only was in Paris once, but i enjoyed it.
About 2 weeks ago i bought a Centofante 3 for a very good price.
It's a gentleman folder and also a nice cutting knife whith a thin blade.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome :) I hope you enjoy our community!
And I can relate to getting used to holes in knives...
At first I found it a bit odd, but it's the other way around nowadays :p

(great choices on the Chap and Sage by the way!)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:18 am
@ austrian_spyder_fan : I am from south of France, near mediterranean sea and french riviera ... Nice area, very sunny and warm ... But my passion is more towards the mountains than the sea. Hiking, mountain views and picnic with "saucisson" (french dried sausage) cheese, bread and an apple is more my cup of tea... So my need for a slicy knife ;-)

@ warstein : really nice sun and moon version. Didn't have the chance to handle one .. but wait and see...

- Man, the mountain and picnic part sounds a LOT like me! :)

- I don´t have a sun and moon Chap either yet. It just came out and is available in Europe for just a week or so yet I think.
Eventually I have to get one certainly. Though from a practical point of view I would not need too, the FRN version does everything perfectly well... but as you might have already discovered by now: This forum is not at all always only about the "practical point of view"... :D
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

RustyIron wrote:

Rob

FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

August this year was the month to visit Paris... Few tourists, few Parisians, sunny summer... But At the bottom of the Eiffel Tower, I forgot my Chaparral in the pocket. First checkpoint, no problem. Just checking the bagpack... I felt lucky. Bought tickets and then... Fail.... X-ray checkpoint. I try to discuss with the guard but no way. I finally hid the Chap in a woodlot and found it back 2 hours later. Lucky day in a way.... The days after I felt nude without any knife in the pocket ;)

Did anyone experienced something like that? Confiscated Opinel is one thing, but 100+$ knife in a trash bin must upset a little bit...

Otherwise Centofante seems to have a nice thin slicey blade.. But I don't really like hillow grinds :/

@Dutchblades The same for me know. I only bought first Bm thumbstuds. Now, after my first Spyderco, the hole seems more natural