Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:47 pm
Hi Warstein,

The distance between the handle and the edge is 4mm.

The tech specs were probably made from a prototype.

sal

Thanks Sal! :)

This shorter distance from handle to edge makes the model even more appealing to me... furthermore it could mean, that the actual edge is 2mm longer: 74 instead of 72 mm, which would make it match the Manix cutting edge length. Not overly important, but still nice to have.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:47 pm
Hi Warstein,

The distance between the handle and the edge is 4mm.

The tech specs were probably made from a prototype.

sal

Hi Sal, I'm curious to the reason behind the lack of jimping and lack of the boye dent? These two seemingly small things are to me a big part of what make knives like the Delica, Endura, and Dragonfly such good utilitarian user knives. I feel like leaving the dent off the Police LW and leaving the jimping and dent off the Rock Jumper (and Lil Native) is a step backwards in designing good user knives. Same with the smooth G10 we have seen on exclusives, though I know that was a function a the dealer requesting it. Still, it takes away from the user aspect and made those recent Cruwear knives a hard pass for me.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:44 am
Dazen wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:27 am
I’m pretty sure this doesn’t have jimping on the hump of the blade, which makes this perfect for sliding knives with a larger hump in and out of your pocket!
No jimping or dent is a big bummer IMO.
Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:39 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 am
Dazen wrote:
I’m pretty sure this doesn’t have jimping on the hump of the blade, which makes this perfect for sliding knives with a larger hump in and out of your pocket!

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty bummed myself about the lack of jimping and the lack of a boye dent. These should be standard features on any similar new models in my opinion. I'm hoping the Lil Native LW is a backlock with a boye dent, spine and choil jimping, and a wire clip.

Both can be added if you want them. The Boye dent is super easy to add with a Dremel, the jimping can be done with the right kind of file.
I have added both several times. It's hard to jimp without looking pretty DIY. A dent is a bit easier. Neither come out as good as factory. Spyderco does the best jimping in the business and its sad when it isn't there from the get go IMO. I just have never come across a situation where I used a knife and thought, I wish my thumb slipped around a bit more on the ramp. Especially on an FRN knife made for using. I'll certainly be using this in the outdoors and at times with wet or dirty hands. Jimping is a huge help in grip stability and safety in use.

You just need a checkering file.

https://youtu.be/2C2y7FuO6y4
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SteelCity,

Jimping and the Boye dent are two features that some like and some don't. The Boye dent was a safety feature because the lock well was longer and some people could accidentally unlock the knife with the fleshy part of their hand. As we played around with the concept for years, I decided that for my designs, I would reduce the size of the lock well which eliminates the "problem". But I also learned that different folks like the dent for other reasons like indexing for the lock. On this model I left it off. If the market screams put it back on, I might?

Jimpiing can be very abrasive on things like pockets, or even hands going into and out of pockets. We'll usually soften the edges of the jimping. It's a coin toss. Easier to add than take off.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:52 pm
Hi SteelCity,

Jimping and the Boye dent are two features that some like and some don't. The Boye dent was a safety feature because the lock well was longer and some people could accidentally unlock the knife with the fleshy part of their hand. As we played around with the concept for years, I decided that for my designs, I would reduce the size of the lock well which eliminates the "problem". But I also learned that different folks like the dent for other reasons like indexing for the lock. On this model I left it off. If the market screams put it back on, I might?

Jimpiing can be very abrasive on things like pockets, or even hands going into and out of pockets. We'll usually soften the edges of the jimping. It's a coin toss. Easier to add than take off.

sal

Thanks for the informative insight Sal! Yes, indexing is the reason I prefer the dent. I am often closing my Enduras/Delicas one handed while not actually looking at the knife, so the dent allows me to quickly locate the lockbar to safely close. The added safety of the jimping preventing slippage outweighs any potential downside of abrasiveness on hands/pockets for me, and I honestly don't notice them being any more abrasive than a non-jimped knife so I see no downside in my own use. I understand that other users have different opinions and designers as well, so I am just letting my opinions be heard. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

This was already the knife that I was most intrigued by in the last Reveal––the handle design reminds me of my beloved Stretch, and I expect it'll cut aggressively like my Q-Ball.
All the more interested now after seeing Sal's pitch :D
-Evan
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:35 pm
araneae wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:44 am
Dazen wrote:
No jimping or dent is a big bummer IMO.
Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:39 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 am

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty bummed myself about the lack of jimping and the lack of a boye dent. These should be standard features on any similar new models in my opinion. I'm hoping the Lil Native LW is a backlock with a boye dent, spine and choil jimping, and a wire clip.

Both can be added if you want them. The Boye dent is super easy to add with a Dremel, the jimping can be done with the right kind of file.
I have added both several times. It's hard to jimp without looking pretty DIY. A dent is a bit easier. Neither come out as good as factory. Spyderco does the best jimping in the business and its sad when it isn't there from the get go IMO. I just have never come across a situation where I used a knife and thought, I wish my thumb slipped around a bit more on the ramp. Especially on an FRN knife made for using. I'll certainly be using this in the outdoors and at times with wet or dirty hands. Jimping is a huge help in grip stability and safety in use.

You just need a checkering file.

https://youtu.be/2C2y7FuO6y4
Try that on a curved thumb ramp. Not going to go so easy. I use a Dremel with 2 wheels and a spacer and cut as best I can free hand.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:
Hi SteelCity,

sal
Thanks for the insight. I'd actually say jimping would be easier to remove than apply well. It's easier to sand them off then to put them on and have them look professional.

I would have bought a new Cat when the steel was upgraded from 440c to Bd1 and another when it went to bd1n, but they took away the jimping, so I'm happy with the 440c version.

Were this a fancy piece like a Kopa, I guess I could maybe see skipping jimping, but this is a model made to work. I don't tend to notice any issues from jimping when carrying tip up, it's in the bottom of the pocket against the seam.

I also like the dent as it lets me find the lock quickly and makes a nice landing pad for my thumb when unlocking. My middle finger also seems to rest into the dent when I am opening the knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Try that on a curved thumb ramp. Not going to go so easy. I use a Dremel with 2 wheels and a spacer and cut as best I can free hand.

Yeah sorry I posted that from work and then thought about it more and realized that wouldn't work too well.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:11 pm
sal wrote:
Hi SteelCity,

sal

Thanks for the informative insight Sal! Yes, indexing is the reason I prefer the dent. I am often closing my Enduras/Delicas one handed while not actually looking at the knife, so the dent allows me to quickly locate the lockbar to safely close. The added safety of the jimping preventing slippage outweighs any potential downside of abrasiveness on hands/pockets for me, and I honestly don't notice them being any more abrasive than a non-jimped knife so I see no downside in my own use. I understand that other users have different opinions and designers as well, so I am just letting my opinions be heard. :)
I agree. It’s certainly not a deal breaker for me, but I prefer the Boye Dent for these reasons too. Also, when using the knife with gloves on, it’s a big help with indexing, with the reduced finger sensitivity/dexterity that the gloves create. When operating the knife many times a day at work, you tend to want to be able to deploy and close and pocket the knife without looking at it.

I also like jimping for all the obvious reasons, but also the increased safety when handling with gloves on angle.

I appreciate that Spyderco offer different features of course, but I’m just offering my perspective and tastes.

Just as a bit of feedback for Sal and Spyderco, it seems to be increasingly common for gloves to be mandated PPE in jobs where knives are handled - much more so than it was 10 or 20 years ago.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:12 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:11 pm
sal wrote:
Hi SteelCity,

sal

I agree. It’s certainly not a deal breaker for me, but I prefer the Boye Dent for these reasons too. Also, when using the knife with gloves on, it’s a big help with indexing, with the reduced finger sensitivity/dexterity that the gloves create. When operating the knife many times a day at work, you tend to want to be able to deploy and close and pocket the knife without looking at it.

I also like jimping for all the obvious reasons, but also the increased safety when handling with gloves on angle.

I appreciate that Spyderco offer different features of course, but I’m just offering my perspective and tastes.

Just as a bit of feedback for Sal and Spyderco, it seems to be increasingly common for gloves to be mandated PPE in jobs where knives are handled - much more so than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

The more I think about it, the lack of jimping and the dent will likely be a deal breaker for me in the end. There are so many new models coming out that I am interested in, plus many production models I still am planning on adding to my rotation, that I just don't see this one getting to the top of my list missing those two features. I'm much more likely to add Delica, Endela, Endura, and Dfly wharnies. I'll likely pass on the Lil Native LW as well if they skip out on jimping and dent. I could probably love without the dent as it is something I reluctantly tolerate on my Natives, but I really missed the jimping on the Lil Native for the short time I owned it.

I just feel these should be standard features on these models and leaving the dent off the Police LW and both off the Rock Jumper makes them feel incomplete and less capable.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'll echo the comment that I prefer both the jimping and the dent, but I don't think it'll stop me from trying the Leaf Jumper. I might even try a Rock Jumper first; it'll depend on the price point I think. I'm most excited by the handle shape.

I do wish the Natives had the dent. I appreciate the indexing, and my OCD dictates the Native should match all my other LW Mid-Backlocks as well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:55 pm
I'll echo the comment that I prefer both the jimping and the dent, but I don't think it'll stop me from trying the Leaf Jumper. I might even try a Rock Jumper first; it'll depend on the price point I think. I'm most excited by the handle shape.

I do wish the Natives had the dent. I appreciate the indexing, and my OCD dictates the Native should match all my other LW Mid-Backlocks as well.

Yeah, for me it's like if I was buying a new truck and in order to get a model with an extra foot of bed length, I wouldn't be able to get power steering or a/c. Sure, the extra foot of bed length would be nice in some situations, but I sure as heck don't want to give up two features that should be stardard on every vehicle and I'm going to miss having every time I drive the truck. :D

I don't know that the Rock Jumper would do anything for me that the Delica Wharnies wouldn't do, so for me to have to give up two features I feel should be standard is kind of a deal breaker.

I felt the same way the two different G10 Lil Natives were released. I don't really care for comp locks as it is, and it was awkward on that small of a knife, so the backlock was the natural choice as my favorite lock type. But then they tell me I can only get my beloved wire clip in the comp lock version. so ultimately not being able to get the wire clip, plus the lack of jimping led me rid my collection of Lil Natives.

Luckily I have more Spydercos than any man needs and many more on my buy list, so I don't plan on losing any sleep over not having a Lil Native or Rock Jumper. My needs are more than met and I'll keep buying the ones that check all of the boxes for me. Knives like the Endura, Dragonfly, and Delica which I wouldn't change a thing on.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I personally did never care if there is a boye dent or not, either way is fine for me (that´s just me of course)
And since I rarely put the thumb on the ramp (but rather to the side of the blade) I can´t really say if jimping there is better, worse or just as good as NO jimping... :o
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i prefer jimping on the thumb ramp for grip also. an spyderco's jimping is really a step above other manufacturers that i've used. most jimping on knives is useless or too abrasive. spyderco's is neither. i agree it's weird when it's absent from a folder unless there is a specific reason that is clear, as with the yojimbo 2. i'd love to hear if that's the case with the rockjumper.
i indifferent about the boye dent. it's a fine feature and i like it, but i don't need it for indexing at all. i handle my knives enough to be very familiar with them and muscle memory really removes the need for such a feature. also, you can still feel the frn cutout when you're on the lock release, so it's kind of moot.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Sometimes jimping can be abrasive on the pocket. The Boye Dent does seem to help with indexing but it's not great looking. So I'm not wed to either of those features. Very excited for this knife as I haven't bought a new Spyderco in a long time.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I think the Boye dent is underappreciated.

If you've got any "extra" meat in between your thumb and index finger, it will prevent that meat from depressing the lockbar when you squeeze the handle tightly.

It's not really necessary on small knives, like the Baby Horn. But, anything over 3", it should be included.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:26 am

The Boye Dent does seem to help with indexing but it's not great looking.

I forget to mention that I actually find the Boys dents asthetically appealing and like @kennethsime it bothers my OCD that my Natives (and my future Police LWs that I reluctantly plan on buying despite the lack of a dent) don't have them and all of my other backlocks do.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So anyway...........when are these puppies shipping out? After I get mine and use the crap out of it and I'll be sure to let everyone know how terrible it is without jimping and a dent. :D
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

It would be pretty cool if Spyderco offered the addition of dents and/or jimping as part of a spa service like Bark River Knives does to remove thumb ramps, add swedges, etc. I doubt they would be inundated with people mailing in knives asking for a dent, but it would be nice to have that option for those of us who prefer them on the Rock Jumpers, Police LWs, Natives, etc. Or to be able to add jimping to a Rock Jumper, Spyderhawk, or Lil Native. Maybe even offer the option of standard jimping or dino jimping! :eek: