Automony 2 Rusted

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Automony 2 Rusted

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sharkfisher51 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:42 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:28 pm
Thanks for the solid feedback Sharkfisher. And thanks for the prompt response Sal. This is how products evolve and improve!
The LC200N steel is really the holy grail of knife steels.
You and I are going to be good friends! :D

I tell everyone. But you should really give the Caribbean a try. It is basically a non auto Autonomy 2(technically the other way around), with the greatest grip pattern I've ever used.

I have a thread on here somewhere, showing it's innards after one full year of testing with almost zero maintenance. It spent time in the ocean, fishing, manual labor in the mountains of N. Georgia(vast majoroty of the usage) and aside from some lite surface rust, it was in excellent condition. (I believe the rust came mostly from surface contamination during manufacturing and a slight bit of galvanic at the standoffs.

It all cleaned off within minutes, using mineral oil and a finger/qtip.

Either way, thanks for the detailed info. We appreciate you sending it in to Spyderco.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

If you send it, send it to me at:

Spyderco
attn: Sal Glesser
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403

We'll shoot a new one to you right away.

I'll alert Charlynn in customer service that it's coming.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sharkfisher51 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Thanks for the solid feedback Sharkfisher. And thanks for the prompt response Sal. This is how products evolve and improve!
Just to be clear, this is one **** of a knife! If it didn't have the blade lock that rusted it's knife perfection at it's finest. This is definitely a SHTF knife and still opens and closes like a champ. The LC200N steel is really the holy grail of knife steels and in an automatic package makes this the holy grail of folders IMO. I also have the Spydiechef which has some rust around the assembly hardware but it's a great knife too, no blade rust. I really put these knives to the test in the saltwater, cutting bait/bones/150lb braid/, dropping in the sand etc... Any other knife besides the salt series knives wouldn't last a day doing the stuff I do to these two knives with LC200N. It's really a testament to Spyderco and the quality of these folders to take this marine environment day in and day out.

It's funny, I've bought two "dragon fly 2" H1 knives as gifts and never one for myself so I can't say how the H1 steel compares to LC200N. Maybe that will be my next purchase as a control test. I've just read how soft the H1 is and steered away from it.
I hope you get to try a Siren one of these days. I think you will enjoy the design based on your uses. I designed it as a “do everything” folder but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have the kind of use you and I do everyday in mind during the design process. The absence of standoffs and liners in the Siren was intentional and in my experience makes for a knife that is extremely corrosion proof.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sharkfisher51 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Just to be clear, this is one **** of a knife! If it didn't have the blade lock that rusted it's knife perfection at it's finest. This is definitely a SHTF knife and still opens and closes like a champ. The LC200N steel is really the holy grail of knife steels and in an automatic package makes this the holy grail of folders IMO. I also have the Spydiechef which has some rust around the assembly hardware but it's a great knife too, no blade rust. I really put these knives to the test in the saltwater, cutting bait/bones/150lb braid/, dropping in the sand etc... Any other knife besides the salt series knives wouldn't last a day doing the stuff I do to these two knives with LC200N. It's really a testament to Spyderco and the quality of these folders to take this marine environment day in and day out.

It's funny, I've bought two "dragon fly 2" H1 knives as gifts and never one for myself so I can't say how the H1 steel compares to LC200N. Maybe that will be my next purchase as a control test. I've just read how soft the H1 is and steered away from it.

Consider the Hawkbill Dragonfly and let me know if you find it "soft".
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Sharkfisher51

Post by Sharkfisher51 »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:12 pm
If you send it, send it to me at:

Spyderco
attn: Sal Glesser
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403

We'll shoot a new one to you right away.

I'll alert Charlynn in customer service that it's coming.

sal
Sal,

Just dropped the knife in the mail, sorry for the delay. You should see it in a few days.

Thanks!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

I received you email, but there was no return email address. We received your knife. The only rust we could find was on the lock, which we are addressing. We can send you a new knife, but it will still have the old lock for now.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double tap.

sal
Sharkfisher51

Post by Sharkfisher51 »

Hi Sal,

Pm me for the details
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sharkfisher51 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Definitely try there H1 in a Serrated Edge. It work-hardens with sharpening and use and holds a serrated edge longer than anything else!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Absolutely. H1 serrated is really as good as it gets.