Would you be interested in a smaller version of the Respect (FB44GP)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Would you be interested in a smaller version of the Respect (FB44GP)?

Post by archangel »

This knife is a beauty, a true Sal masterpiece design. It is just too big, not justifiable for me townie. Also drives the costs quite up. :(

Who but me does not own one yet for the same reasons, but would get one if it was a good part smaller? It could be named Urban Respect. ;)

My biggest knife is the Serrata, just below 5" of blade. Could the Respect be shrunk to that size?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Dazen

Re: Would you be interested in a smaller version of the Respect (FB44GP)?

Post by Dazen »

I would love to see it an urban respect. It reminds me of an updated version of a Wester Knife Company knife I have.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t think so. The Respect is a tribute to the iconic Bowie knife. By all accounts the original was a large butcher type knife. No one today knows what it actually looked like but knives that were made during and right after that time all have the iconic big clip blade. Trying to make a mini-Bowie would just not be appropriate nor would I buy one. I do hope to get a Respect someday because it’s a fine example of a master’s masterpiece.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have a couple of other Spyderco knives that I want and I'd like to pick up a Respect in it's current format. It looks good! I don't know that Sal would go through the trouble of making a smaller Respect.

I'm not saying NO because I hate it when people rain on other people's parades. I don't know if I'd be in the market for the smaller knife, but maybe!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

No dis-Respect, but after five years of carry, the Bradly Bowie is a much easier EDC.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67165&p=1009029#p1009029

brian
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have to admit, I had hoped for more support. :(

I get that the Respect is a bowie, and that by definition these are usually no small knives. Those who own one, and those who would like to one day, are lucky fellas - I have zero doubts that the Respect, as it is, is marvelous!

What's my position? Well, I love the shape of this knife. It is just too large, and yes, too costy. IMHO it could still work perfectly if there was a smaller version. Keep all ratios and shapes as they are, just downsize the whole thing and release a second, smaller version - if this is possible, productionwise etc.

Or am I missing something fundamentally?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

No, I like the idea! I should have said so....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

archangel wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 am
I have to admit, I had hoped for more support. :(

I get that the Respect is a bowie, and that by definition these are usually no small knives.
Hey Michael!
Here is a problem: noone knows how Bowie knife should like like, because the original Jim Bowie's knife (most likely) doesn't exist anymore.
Strictly speaking, Bowie's knife should have been something along big butcher knife, that he later has added guard. For my taste, I always pictured bowie knife like this, not exactly, but this is the general shape

I think smaller version would be cool, like 5 inch? With guard, but I would like to see less....neck? area, that are before the edge...I hope you know what I mean.
Edit: I would say that Ankerson's Province is closer to ,,real,, Bowie knife, but I also like Sal's version.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45