Have Titanium and Micarta Handles Become Extinct?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Have Titanium and Micarta Handles Become Extinct?

Post by JD Spydo »

Today I got my footlocker out that I keep some of my older Spyderco models from the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2004. I was just really enjoying looking at my older Micarta and Titanium handled models as well as a couple of the older Carbon Fiber models as well. The awesome handle materials of that era seem to be heading toward the "Endangered Species" list :(

Has anyone else thought about the absence of these great exotic handle materials that were so prevalent on many of the GOLDEN ERA Spyderco models? Oh don't get me wrong because I dearly love the newer, higher quality G-10 handles that so many of the newer units have. And I have a few of the newer user models with stainless and FRN handles that I'm quite happy with. But there was something special about the exotic handles from that era.

Let's talk about this shift in handle materials?
Mushroom

Re: Have Titanium and Micarta Handles Become Extinct?

Post by Mushroom »

Golden era of Spyders? We're living in it! ;)

Titanium and carbon fiber scales don't seem to be going anywhere and micarta seems to be going through a well deserved resurgence lately.

Two knives with micarta scales, two knives with titanium scales, and two knives with carbon fiber scales in the last reveal alone. (Three carbon fiber if you include the Carbon Fiber/G10 Laminate.)
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:39 pm

Titanium and carbon fiber scales don't seem to be going anywhere and micarta seems to be going through a well deserved resurgence lately.

Two knives with micarta scales, two knives with titanium scales, and two knives with carbon fiber scales in the last reveal alone. (Three carbon fiber if you include the Carbon Fiber/G10 Laminate.)
Fair enough> becauase I haven't bought any new models in the past 6 to 8 months because of being bombarded with medical bills :eek: so I am glad to hear that they are not on the Endangered Species list. But they sure aren't as prevalent as they were in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I've been waiting for a model to rival the Titanium ATR of the 2003/2004 era and I've yet to see one come forth.

I liked the Ti handle on that ATR so much. I kind of wish they would do some of the Salt Series with Ti handles.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Fair enough> becauase I haven't bought any new models in the past 6 to 8 months because of being bombarded with medical bills :eek: so I am glad to hear that they are not on the Endangered Species list. But they sure aren't as prevalent as they were in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I've been waiting for a model to rival the Titanium ATR of the 2003/2004 era and I've yet to see one come forth.

I liked the Ti handle on that ATR so much. I kind of wish they would do some of the Salt Series with Ti handles.
It's funny that you mention those two things together because I seem to recall mention of Spyderco having a prototype for a "Caribbean 2" - A Titanium Integral Compression lock Caribbean ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:53 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

It's funny that you mention those two things together because I seem to recall mention of Spyderco having a prototype for a "Caribbean 2" - A Titanium Integral Compression lock Caribbean ;)
I'll check that out because I would love to have a Caribbean with that same titanium as they had on those ATR handles.

A lot of people don't like Micarta for fixed blades because they seem to complain about the weight factor. But when I carried my older STREETBEAT the extra weight didn't bother me at all. Actually I don't like the lightweight version of the STREETBEAT nearly as well as I did the original unit.

Also I would love a Harpy or Spyderhawk model in Titanium as well.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I don't care for titanium, but as my signature says, CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :D

I already grabbed an M390-carta Spyopera and will be getting a Z-wear-carta Shaman. I just bought a Cru-Carta Bark River Wilderness Explorer this week. Micarta is pretty much the only scale material I care for on fixed blades and I wish more folders were done in Micarta. I don't really own or care for traditional folders, but I've been lusting after a Micarta REC as well lately. Had I been aware of them when they were actually dropping I probably would have grabbed one for a desk knife. Not really into paying flipper prices for knives though.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I think someone mentioned in a thread a few days ago that Ti prices were going up. So there's that.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can't get enough micarta. Outside of Spyderco & machetes I don't buy fixed blades that don't have micarta handles. I would love to see it used more on Spyderco folders.

In my eyes roughly textured green linen micarta is the best handle material. FRN can be more practical for certain designs, but the rough textured micarta feels better.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:58 pm
I can't get enough micarta. Outside of Spyderco & machetes I don't buy fixed blades that don't have micarta handles. I would love to see it used more on Spyderco folders.

In my eyes roughly textured green linen micarta is the best handle material. FRN can be more practical for certain designs, but the rough textured micarta feels better.

My preference is rough textured matte green CANVAS micarta, but we are operating on the same wavelength here. My Wilderness Explorer is Green Canvas and I just pre-ordered a Camp Knife in Green Canvas. I am hoping Spyderco does some Green Canvas Micarta Shamans and other folders (Linered Native, Endura, Delica, Dfly, Police, to name a few) with some DLC in the mix. That would be a great combo!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:03 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:58 pm

My preference is rough textured matte green CANVAS micarta, but we are operating on the same wavelength here. My Wilderness Explorer is Green Canvas and I just pre-ordered a Camp Knife in Green Canvas. I am hoping Spyderco does some Green Canvas Micarta Shamans and other folders (Linered Native, Endura, Delica, Dfly, Police, to name a few) with some DLC in the mix. That would be a great combo!
Agreed 100%. Canvas Micarta is the best. Not sure why I mistyped linen micarta, I don't even own any.

Spyderco ran all their most popular models in foliage green G10 about a decade back. If they wanted to take all my money they'd do the same thing in micarta :D
:unicorn
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mushroom wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I really though the Paysan was that model, with its one piece Ti handle. Ti Is great, but I typically only pay the premium if I already like and enjoy the model.

And I think everyone knows how I feel about Carbon Fiber, it adds so much depth without adding any color. I’m still waiting on a Peel-ply CF Salt.

I like micarta, but I’m not always a fan when it gets polished because it can starts to look cheap.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 pm
I think someone mentioned in a thread a few days ago that Ti prices were going up. So there's that.
Yeah I've heard to talk that Titanium from USA sources is becoming almost cost prohibitive for making knife handles.

There is a really nice grip factor that I've only found in titanium.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Joe, I happen to love Micarta and have made a dozen or so sets of MT scales with Micarta alone (w/ G10 liners). Nearly all my folders are G10 and zero with Micarta! It's really weird but, G10 on any of my fixed blades are always pushed aside preferring linen or canvas Micarta, polished or not I love them more and the added weight adds to the enjoyment. 40 grit sandpaper on Micarta feels really nice in use and with sweaty hands and oddly polished up is just as grippy...IMO of course

It is quite a chore to cut shape and sand and the smell will drive away family members, but I enjoy the challenge. It's super durable too! It's the CruWear of handle materials lol.

Only Ti I own is on clips so I can't comment on that :p

Edit: I lied, I do have a Micarta handled PM2 in my pocket atm :confused: it's aftermarket scales so I haven't purchased a folder with Micarta....whew I'm getting too old for this crud ;)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
archangel

Post by archangel »

I don't care for Cru-Carta. I say TITANIUM them all!! :D

No offense, steelcity. ;)

As long as :spyder: uses Taichung, there will be titanium scales. There's never enough of the good stuff though... :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I love OD green canvas micarta too. It’s what I usually get my custom scales made in. They feel great with contoured edges.

I got contoured OD green linen micarta scales for a change on my HAP40 Stretch and that is a very nice handle material too.

One thing which makes micarta eminently suitable for knife handles IMHO, is the way it gets ‘grippier’ when wet, or handled with damp or bloody hands from field dressing game.

I haven’t had many Ti handled knives, maybe because it tends to go with righty frame lock folders. I don’t mind the ones I’ve tried, but generally I favour the warm feel of micarta or hard timbers like desert ironwood, cocobolo, ebony etc, to the cold feel of metal handles.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

SpyOpera, Pochi, Swayback, Z-Wear Shaman.. and that's just in the last reveal!

Like with fashion, scale material trends seem to ebb and flow. Micarta scales are very much "in" right now.. seems they are everywhere these days. And if the manufacturers aren't using it, chances are you can find aftermarket micarta scales pretty easily. Ti, maybe not so much, but there are still models available if you want them.

Extinction though? I think not.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD, I'll agree that Spyderco definitely offered a bunch of models with Micarta handle, both lined and unlined, during that period. All, or almost all, were made in Japan and apparently Spyderco ran into shrinkage issues with those knives that has made them reluctant to use Micarta. To me, that's a shame since Micarta can be used unlined because it offers little friction handles while G-10 requires liners because it's potentially abrasive.

OTOH, I think there were no more, and probably fewer, titanium models available any given year during that 7 span than any given year during the last seven. What were more common during that period but have totally disappears are aluminum handles, although I'm not sure anyone misses them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:27 am
JD, I'll agree that Spyderco definitely offered a bunch of models with Micarta handle, both lined and unlined, during that period. All, or almost all, were made in Japan and apparently Spyderco ran into shrinkage issues with those knives that has made them reluctant to use Micarta. To me, that's a shame since Micarta can be used unlined because it offers little friction handles while G-10 requires liners because it's potentially abrasive.

OTOH, I think there were no more, and probably fewer, titanium models available any given year during that 7 span than any given year during the last seven. What were more common during that period but have totally disappears are aluminum handles, although I'm not sure anyone misses them.
That's too bad, aluminum is a decent, lightweight, and fairly inexpensive handle material. It's cheaper than titanium and lighter than stainless steel. No, it's not perfect, or even one of my preferred handle materials, but it would fit the needs of a lot of people.

Just ask Kershaw.

I wouldn't be surprised if global economic woes in the future, causes a shift in how people percieve aluminum handles.

As for the original topic of this thread, I would love to see more titanium and micarta. I haven't said it in a while, but have asked for both materials to be used more. Both materials offer things that G10/stainless steel/FRN/FRCP don't offer. I'd love to see some new models made in Golden, with micarta inlays or titanium scales, or maybe even both together.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:58 am
Mushroom wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I really though the Paysan was that model, with its one piece Ti handle. Ti Is great, but I typically only pay the premium if I already like and enjoy the model.

And I think everyone knows how I feel about Carbon Fiber, it adds so much depth without adding any color. I’m still waiting on a Peel-ply CF Salt.

I like micarta, but I’m not always a fan when it gets polished because it can starts to look cheap.
The Paysan is an integral frame lock though and I really thought there was distinct mention of a "Caribbean 2" using a titanium integral compression lock like the ATR had. Also, had holes in the handle similar to the ATR had too. :confused: I just tried searching and cant find it at the moment but I will try searching again later.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

There are lots of people doing Micarta aftermarket scales, if that helps bring them back from the endangered list for you.