New model ideas

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
driftingfir

New model ideas

Post by driftingfir »

These are a few model ideas I'd like to see be explored.

I would like to see a skinning knife in k390. 3-4 inch blade, contoured handle, coating or noncoated. another model id like to see would be a bushcraft knife in 52100, 4-5 inch blade, dlc coated. Id also like to see how spyderco would do a multitool.

Feel free to leave your ideas and comments
p_atrick

Re: New model ideas

Post by p_atrick »

Custom knife maker Jesse Jarosz licensed the Compression Lock in his Pulsar model. I wouldn't mind seeing a collaboration.
funguy

Post by funguy »

It's not a knife but I would like to see Spyderco release some high quality diamond benchstones to go with the awesome ceramic ones they already have. Maybe some quality strops as well.
Spyderco: Tenacious, DLT Manix 2 (Red G10), MT27
ZT: 0566FDEBW, 0562CF, 0450CF, 0357BW
Kershaw: Link 1776GRYBW
Boker: Massdrop Blue Urban Trapper
Leatherman: PST, Charge Ti
driftingfir

Post by driftingfir »

@funguy id really would to see some diamond benchstones from spyderco. maybe some water stones as well.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Lil Manix - similar to Mini Griptilian.

Folding steak knife - if you rest the knife on table and plate it should have a stable stand. Used py Para 3 LW but the clip made it unstable and it slipped/flipped many times.
vivi

Post by vivi »

driftingfir wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:05 pm

I would like to see a skinning knife in k390. 3-4 inch blade, contoured handle, coating or noncoated. another model id like to see would be a bushcraft knife in 52100, 4-5 inch blade, dlc coated. Id also like to see how spyderco would do a multitool.

I think 52100 would be an excellent steel for a bushcraft knife, but I would prefer uncoated.

I would be most interested in Spydercos take on a pocket multitool. Over the years I've carried Victorinox Classics, Ramblers, Leatherman Micras, Squirts, modded "half-micras," and whatever these are called.

Personally I think a Leatherman rebar / surge / wave handles the general purpose multitool better than anyone else, but I see room for improvement in the under 3oz pocket multitool category.
:unicorn
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Box cutter/utility knife. More as I'd be curious to see what a company that puts a good amount of thought into ergonomics would come up with.
"Seven for One"
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

silvershade255 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:46 am
Box cutter/utility knife. More as I'd be curious to see what a company that puts a good amount of thought into ergonomics would come up with.
Absolutely yes. 99% of utility blade knives are pretty rubbish ergonomically. At least compared to Spydercos high standard of ergos.
/ David
benben

Post by benben »

silvershade255 wrote:
I like this idea!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Another multitool would be great.

We’re overdue for a Phil Wilson fillet knife.

And I just know there’s a bunch of lefty friendly knife designs waiting in the production queue, to make up for all the righty only framelock designs! :D

Ok, maybe not then. :(

In the meantime, I’ll accept a lefty Millie sprint in a tool steel like K390, REX45 or 4V. :D :p
silvershade255 wrote: Box cutter/utility knife. More as I'd be curious to see what a company that puts a good amount of thought into ergonomics would come up with.
It’s called the HAP40 Jazzlica. :D :p :cool:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Double bladed automatic. One blade PE and one SE. Blade steel, LC200N. Steel-lined G-10 handles.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

driftingfir wrote:

I would like to see a skinning knife in k390. 3-4 inch blade, contoured handle, coating or noncoated.
So basically Stretch 2 sprint run in K390
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

silvershade255 wrote:
Have you tried the Yojimbo 2? I know it's marketed as a self-defence tool but it's served me very well as a box-cutter/utility knife at my warehouse job.

I wrote an in-depth, long-term review of the Yojimbo 2 if you want to learn about the details of my experience with it as a utility knife:
viewtopic.php?t=86412
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

silvershade255 wrote:

If they worked it out so it still had a functional thumb hole I'd be really interesting in this idea. I'm thinking about something similar to the folding box knives that a lot of tool companies make that has a "blade" that folds like a folder, but with a thumb hole in it. I carried a Gerber EAB for many years so I'd be all over this idea if the ergonomics were good.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

funguy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:19 pm
It's not a knife but I would like to see Spyderco release some high quality diamond benchstones to go with the awesome ceramic ones they already have. Maybe some quality strops as well.
I made a post some time ago suggesting a line of coated CBN plates. Coated CBN offers some advantages over coated diamond and I think they would do well. A coarse, fine, and extra fine in 1x6 and 3x8 would do the trick!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

driftingfir wrote:

I love your suggestions. And I like your blade steel selections as well. I can also go with the coated blades as long as it's done right.

But we already have had a model that would cover your request. Back in the 2004 time slot we had a fixed blade model known as the TEMPERANCE 1 model. It came with factory VG-10. But even with a standard blade steel it was still an awesome model. It would even be much better with those blade steels you recommended.

I would love to see a TEMPERANCE 1 in K390 or M390>> Now the TEMP 1 came in PE & SE both. I would like to have the SE in either XHP or VG-10 for the serrated version. But any of those you sggested in those two steels or even 52100 for that matter.

Oh I know the TEMP 1 is a great overall design and it's perfect for outdoor uses as well as great for kitchen/culinary uses as well. I'm anxious to see where this thread goes :)
driftingfir

Post by driftingfir »

A stretch 2 in k390 would be killer
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

driftingfir wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:44 pm
A stretch 2 in k390 would be killer
Several of us eagerly await. My understanding is that it is already planned, but not yet officially announced. :cool: