Long-term pakkawood scale use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Long-term pakkawood scale use?

Post by TheGiant80 »

I keep flip-flopping about buying a pakkawood Endura. On paper it's perfection! Classy mahogany scales, funky laminated steel I'm excited to try, and the E4 platform which as we all know is awesome.

I'm wondering how pakkawood changes over time and repeated use. I don't baby my knives, but I don't abuse them either. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience using a wooden Spydie as an EDC blade. Does the wood darken? Does it dry out? Any input is much appreciated!
JuPaul

Re: Long-term pakkawood scale use?

Post by JuPaul »

Pakkawood is supposed to be very stable stuff. I haven't noticed any changes on my delica or dragonfly, and I live in a very humid area. It looks and feels as nice as it did on day one, imo.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:12 am
Pakkawood is supposed to be very stable stuff. I haven't noticed any changes on my delica or dragonfly, and I live in a very humid area. It looks and feels as nice as it did on day one, imo.
Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:09 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Do you perform any regular proactive maintenance? Mineral oil, etc?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:31 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
I oil the hap40 blade, but I have never oiled the scales. I wouldn't run it through the dishwasher or anything, but I think the resin used to make it is pretty water-resistant but also won't dry out. I probably would think about oiling the scales before long-term storage just in case, though.
- Julia

TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

MichaelScott wrote:
TheGiant80 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
I do not. I'm used to carrying a Pacific Salt daily..
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:57 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
TheGiant80 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
I oil the hap40 blade, but I have never oiled the scales. I wouldn't run it through the dishwasher or anything, but I think the resin used to make it is pretty water-resistant but also won't dry out. I probably would think about oiling the scales before long-term storage just in case, though.
Great info! This is going to be my new EDC blade, so no long-term storage will take place..
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I have had my pakkawood Endura for a while, maybe a year or so. I baby it (anniversary gift), but I carry it often (Endura is a little big for my tastes but it makes my SO happy when I carry it). I haven't done anything to the handles, I only keep the blade oiled. It still looks like new. Now that I think about it I don't think I've even had to sharpen it yet.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I carried the pakkawood Delica clip less in my pocket with my keys four times a week in the office for about a year and the wood still looks like new
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:00 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:57 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
TheGiant80 wrote:

Great info! This is going to be my new EDC blade, so no long-term storage will take place..
Did you see that they just released a Pakkawood Police model as well? Looks beautiful!
- Julia

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Oiling a Pakkawood scale is like oiling a resin and foam surfboard...
Oil will not penetrate the surface, but it will look like it.
Polishing with a fine abrasive like Autosol etc will make it gleam again after hard use.

Pakkawood is a phenolic resin and layers of a good medium dense wood.
Plywood... if you want to be pedantic.

Pakkawood should not be placed often in a dishwasher, and the repeated heat will de-laminate the layers.

Pakkawood is durable and stable, just clean it when it is dirty and not fuss too much. :)
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I have a few Pakkawood handled kitchen knives that have seen a bit of abuse including soaking in the sink and the occasional dishwasher experience and they are fine. I’m sure the makers know that kitchen knives get abused in the average domestic kitchen and if they were going to get masses of warrantee claims from using Pakkawood they would switch to something more robust fairly quickly (or never use Pakkawood in the first place).

You should be fine with common sense care. I will suggest that the HAP40 will need more care than the Pakkawood scales.

As Stuart says, clean it when dirty and don’t over think it.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I bought the delica when it first came out and have used it quite extensively and the handles still look great. Couple dings here and there from dropping the knife, but otherwise they are just as good as when it came new
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish they used a harder wood for pakkawood - I feel like the stuff they used for the shaman handle would dent easily (granted it's also filled with resin)
arty

Post by arty »

I have some steak knives and a bread knife with pakkawood handles that have been in use for more than 50 years. The surface finish is no longer glossy, but they are in good shape.