Idea for a complement to the sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Takuan

Re: Idea for a complement to the sharpmaker

Post by Takuan »

Perhaps Spyderco could sell a leather slip pouch for extra Sharpmaker stones that would look like a bigger version of the pouch that the Ceramic File Set comes in. That way, you could carry the diamond/CBN stones and the ultra-fine stones along with the standard Sharpmaker. Of course, it wouldn't attach to the Sharpmaker box, but it would be an attractive, low-cost solution.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey I like a lot of the suggestions you guys have brought forth in this thread. But I've been using different sized zipper pouches for all my extra stones for the 204 Sharpmaker unit as well as other Spyderco stones I've accumulated.

For sure proper storage is an issue when you're dealing with these ceramic sharpening tools. They are prone to chipping if you don't take care of them.

Spyderco has made zipper pouches for their knives and they ought to look into making zipper pouches for their sharpening tools as well.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oh a 3D printer would be cool to play with; I’d have no idea how to begin designing an object from the coding standpoint though.
Sonorum wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:01 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:58 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am
I've been trying to figure out what bar keepers friend would be called in Sweden.
The working ingredient of Bar Keepers Friend is Oxalic acid. Any powdered cleaner available in Sweden with oxalic acid should work just as well as BKF.
Thanks!
Thanks JRinFL! I didn’t know either.

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:04 pm
"You are in incredible tool" doesn't actually sound like much of a compliment, but maybe I'm showing my age and that slang term is out of use now. ;)
I guess I am too then, that’s among my less colorful comments about... people.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I rarely travel with mine but it would definitely be convenient if I could carry four sets of rods instead of just two. I'd like to carry CBN/brown/fine/ultra fine all in the same case. I do sometimes take it with me to my buddy's house and sharpen his knives so it would be convenient. Right now I put the CBN rods back in the tubes they came in and another set of rods in the tubes my diamond rods came in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I meant a new base as an attachment to the sharpmaker case as it stands. Maybe not as an attachment as much as a docking station per se.... Sell it as a standalone, pair it with ultra fine or diamond stones or as a sharpmaker completer kit with both. I don't know what the market could dictate there. I think a simple 3d design that maybe you leave on the bench for a complete blade reconditioning and pack you favorite two to take on the road in the current sharpmaker case
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:58 pm
Oh a 3D printer would be cool to play with; I’d have no idea how to begin designing an object from the coding standpoint though.
Sonorum wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:01 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:58 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am
I've been trying to figure out what bar keepers friend would be called in Sweden.
The working ingredient of Bar Keepers Friend is Oxalic acid. Any powdered cleaner available in Sweden with oxalic acid should work just as well as BKF.
Thanks!
Thanks JRinFL! I didn’t know either.

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:04 pm
"You are in incredible tool" doesn't actually sound like much of a compliment, but maybe I'm showing my age and that slang term is out of use now. ;)
I guess I am too then, that’s among my less colorful comments about... people.
Look into tinker cad. A pair of calipers and that software will allow a rudimentary design that can be exported as an stl file and sent to a local library with a 3d printer. I designed the ham radio ram ball mount for my truck this way. Maybe I'll have some free time in front of a computer. Most my web browsing is done on my phone and sitting in front of a pc is rare for me
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

odomandr wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:59 pm
I meant a new base as an attachment to the sharpmaker case as it stands. Maybe not as an attachment as much as a docking station per se.... Sell it as a standalone, pair it with ultra fine or diamond stones or as a sharpmaker completer kit with both. I don't know what the market could dictate there. I think a simple 3d design that maybe you leave on the bench for a complete blade reconditioning and pack you favorite two to take on the road in the current sharpmaker case
I misunderstood you then :)
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:06 pm
I rarely travel with mine but it would definitely be convenient if I could carry four sets of rods instead of just two. I'd like to carry CBN/brown/fine/ultra fine all in the same case. I do sometimes take it with me to my buddy's house and sharpen his knives so it would be convenient. Right now I put the CBN rods back in the tubes they came in and another set of rods in the tubes my diamond rods came in.
I don't travel a lot with it either but it lives in a kitchen drawer and even in that scenario I would like a neater storage solution.
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

This is my rudimentary "3d-printed" prototype. I like it because it's simple.

It is really slim and fits with the Sharpmaker.

It easily fits four additional rods. I didn't have the patience to make triangular slots for them, but they should have that.

If you remove the rods and drop one edge down you now have two rods at 17,5 degrees giving you a 35 degree inclusive edge. My prototype only managed 16+18 degrees so I guess I'll have to calibrate my 3d printer :rolleyes: I'm not shure how that would fit with having some sort of slots for the rods but it would be a cool feature.
/ David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Good idea. I also like the idea of a Deluxe or Master set with every type of rod included and in something like a nice carrying case with a handle or something.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 pm
Good idea. I also like the idea of a Deluxe or Master set with every type of rod included and in something like a nice carrying case with a handle or something.
That a really good idea!
/ David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Sonorum wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:56 pm
This is my rudimentary "3d-printed" prototype. I like it because it's simple.

It is really slim and fits with the Sharpmaker.

It easily fits four additional rods. I didn't have the patience to make triangular slots for them, but they should have that.

If you remove the rods and drop one edge down you now have two rods at 17,5 degrees giving you a 35 degree inclusive edge. My prototype only managed 16+18 degrees so I guess I'll have to calibrate my 3d printer :rolleyes: I'm not shure how that would fit with having some sort of slots for the rods but it would be a cool feature.
I love it! Nice prototyping work!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The more I look at this thread it kind of reminds me of another company that makes great sharpening tools. I'm speaking of "Razor Edge Systems" out of Ely, Minnesota. The CEO of the company John Juranitch has written a great book entitled "The Razor Edge Book Of Sharpening". I consider that book a "Bible" of sharpening techniques. I still get that book out and review it on occasions. I've learned a lot about the basic prinicples of proper sharpening in that book. And what I've learned has helped me to use the 204 Sharpmaker more efficiently.

The reason I bring up Razor Edge Systems is that they have different levels of sharpening kits. They go from Basic with just enough tools to get by with all the way to their Razor Edge Ultimate kit that has a wide selection of sharpening tools. Their Ultimate kit also comes in a really handsome hardwood box which can hold almost any other tool you buy from them.

What I'm thinking is that Spyderco might also consider having an "Ultimate" 204 Sharpmaker kit. It would have a bigger storage capacity and would be able to hold all the extra stones you can buy for the basic 204 Sharpmaker base-unit. It might even be a good marketing tool to encourage people to buy the extra stones available for the 204 kit all at once>> and maybe Spyderco could give a slight discount for those who buy the entire set of stones and accessories available.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I love this idea Sonorum. I think the other benefit of what you're proposing is some protection against the inevitable (at least in my case) drop. Having all the rods together and protected makes a great deal of sense. I've been using my Sharpmaker more recently for the kitchen touch ups so I don't have to haul out the bench stones and will confess that currently I don't know where my UF rods are lol. Your solution would be a big step forward I think. And as JD says gives more options for the consumer. Honestly what a great wedding gift! Everyone seems to get kitchen knife sets but not the means to sharpen and many people won't learn the necessary skill of using bench stones.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:23 am
What I'm thinking is that Spyderco might also consider having an "Ultimate" 204 Sharpmaker kit. It would have a bigger storage capacity and would be able to hold all the extra stones you can buy for the basic 204 Sharpmaker base-unit. It might even be a good marketing tool to encourage people to buy the extra stones available for the 204 kit all at once>> and maybe Spyderco could give a slight discount for those who buy the entire set of stones and accessories available.
I think this would be great for both consumers and Spyderco!
/ David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Great idea. I think it should hold the rods securely, somehow, to keep them from breaking.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:55 am
Great idea. I think it should hold the rods securely, somehow, to keep them from breaking.
Yes they definitely need bo be secured so they don't rattle around. That's also my worry with having the rods just in their tubes or something like that.
/ David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:55 am
Yes they definitely need bo be secured so they don't rattle around. That's also my worry with having the rods just in their tubes or something like that.
Yeah, that is why I do not like the leather pouch idea. I would want a hard case where the rods snapped into place just enough to hold them when the box is closed on the bottom of the SM, but not too hard to remove safely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I had a minute in front of a computer today and whipped up this little base....
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

It is 20mm off the counter and the sharpmaker sits right on top with the four stones able to rest below I still need to nest in so the sharpmaker doesnt slide off the top of the base..... Also i am stuck at home without a printer to test since all my schools are remote and I am unsure if the library prints this large as it is 200mm long. and 80mm wide.