Double Edged Finger Ring Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Double Edged Finger Ring Fixed Blade

Post by Dazen »

First off, I don’t want to take anything away from the Swick. I think it’s an incredible design and I will definitely be getting one.

I’m also wanting a thin (3-3.5mm) straight double edged fixed blade (4”) with a finger ring at the end of the handle. More or less the same build as the Swick 5 with the LC200N and the right amount of G10. I would like it to be double edged with PE on one side and SE on the other. Also, with a finger ring at the end of the handle providing a secure grip in both forward and reverse, and also being able to use both edges. And of course made in Golden :D

Thoughts?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
archangel

Re: Double Edged Finger Ring Fixed Blade

Post by archangel »

Your request matches the one non-spydie knife I purchased in the past 12 months, though what I got is not a thin knife. But other than that: double edged 4" fixed blade with a finger ring, designed by Sal and/or Eric - I'm 100% in! I wouldn't mind if it was made in Taichung, for me it does not need to be a Golden made knife.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If the ergonomics are such that it feels the same in your hand when using both edges (meaning, not shaped like a Swick) then it would be an interesting knife, sort of Spyderco's take on a double edged gardening knife (Hori-Hori) but with a little self defense potential mixed in with the ring.

Unfortunately knives like this (double edged) fall into some knife laws and would be hard to sell and illegal to carry in a lot of areas.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’m sure Sal/Eric and Crew could come up with something pretty epic along these lines. The beauty is no one would have to choose PE or SE, you get both. I can’t see this being crazy expensive either, allowing better access to those who are legally able to buy one. I sorry to those with strict knife laws, but would you buy one if you could? Lastly, I really don’t care where it’s made, I just prefer it not to be China.

It could be called “Swicked” ;)
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Anyone have experience they'd like to share re: the Caspian? Is the sweep side sharpened? I can see where a fully serrated blade on the inside curve ala hawkbill would be mighty handy, too. For me, it would be much more purposeful than the Swick. I've never seen one in person, but it sure looks interesting.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sal, will y’all give this idea some thought? I know there is a market for something like this out there, even though there is not a huge demand for EDC fixed blades on this forum. Thanks, Dane
Dane

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Unless the ring can be released without harm to an appendage, it will be a hard pass for me. If you want to know why, look up "degloving" and be horrified.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:17 am
Unless the ring can be released without harm to an appendage, it will be a hard pass for me. If you want to know why, look up "degloving" and be horrified.
I think I’m misunderstood, the ring would be at the “butt end” of the handle and not next to the blade. Kind of like Spyderco’s Karahawk.
Dane

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

That would mean even more leverage against whichever finger would be in the ring. For a Bird & Trout knife it is fine, for most other uses the risk outweighs any value, unless it has some release mechanism. The Thrym Switchback is the type of ring I am referring to. Under sufficient torque, it will self open releasing the finger.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dazen,

I'm thinking you want a 4" fixed blade Karambit with a double edge?

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:51 am
Hi Dazen,

I'm thinking you want a 4" fixed blade Karambit with a double edge?

sal
Yes, your take on one! But, straight not curved like a Karambit.
Dane

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I believe being double edged would cause this knife to be classified a "dagger" in NC and thus be illegal to carry. I could be wrong though as I am no expert in knife law.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:31 pm
I believe being double edged would cause this knife to be classified a "dagger" in NC and thus be illegal to carry. I could be wrong though as I am no expert in knife law.
Again, I’m sorry to those who can’t buy/possess/carry something like this.

They could get around this by offering two versions; one with just a single PE, and one double edged SE/PE.

This knife could also be interesting in a tanto or some other blade shape.
Dane

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dazen,

A dirk or Dagger is illegal by Federal law.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:27 pm
Hi Dazen,

sal

It brings up a good question of what constitutes an edge on "dirk" or "dagger" style knife. The Spyderco Gayle Bradley Nightstick Boot Knife sure looks like a dagger to me, but only one edge being sharpened apparently keeps it legal. That is if the LO who questions you about it understands knife laws. It may be legal, but I don't think I would want to have to pull out the Nightstick Boot Knife and show a random officer in some random jurisdiction in a small one traffic light rural town.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Double edges are federally illegal? I was under the impression that I could carry one here.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:27 pm
Hi Dazen,

sal

I didn’t know that. To my understanding is that it varies by state and even city your in.
Dane

Takuan

Post by Takuan »

AKTI has some interesting information about the definitions of "dirk" and "dagger": https://www.akti.org/resources/akti-app ... ns/#dagger. Generally, if it looks "stabby" and it's double-edged, then it's either a dagger (if the blade is long) or a dirk (if the blade is short and/or worn with your kilt). The reality is, if the arresting officer calls it a "dirk" or "dagger," than that's what you're carrying.

The legality really depends on the state's specific laws (both black-letter and case law) and the context in which the knife is being used. For example, my wife's dive knife in Hawaii was a double-edged titanium dirk with a plain edge on one side and a serrated edge on the other. However, Hawaii knife law specifically said (based on a case from the 1970s) that a dive knife did not constitute a dirk/dagger if used for diving. Walking around Waikiki or Chinatown at 1 AM with the same knife would have been a different story, though, since the knife would have counted as a dirk in that context.

[General Caveat: I'm not a lawyer, so please do not interpret any of the above information as legal advice. As a pre-law professor, I'm entitled to discuss black-letter law and case law, but not apply those findings to the particular facts of your case. If you want to know about the laws in your particular area, contact a licensed attorney.]
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
sal

Post by sal »

There may be local ordinances as well. I know that we had to be careful on importing because there are federal laws to watch for.

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I any case, this would be a great addition to the restricted models selection. Also, if it’s made in Golden there is no importing :D
Dane