TeroTuf!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: TeroTuf!

Post by TomAiello »

Yes. You can buy it in single scale size, or in (roughly 8.5 x 11) sheets. (example of source for single scale size: https://usaknifemaker.com/terotuf-od-gr ... erial.html)

I'mr really digging the blue demin TeroTuf I have. I might try to pair it with a light colored wood.

I really like the split material style scales, so I am trying to figure out what material to pair with TeroTuf. I'm thinking maybe a natural wood, but I'm not sure yet.

This is my first attempt ever to post photos, but here are some shots of my first attempts at scales. They're still pretty rough, but I'm in the steep part of the learning curve, so they're getting better with each iteration. No TeroTuf here yet, though. I've been working on cheap blanks in an effort to improve before working on my Mules.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:25 am
Yes. You can buy it in single scale size, or in (roughly 8.5 x 11) sheets. (example of source for single scale size: https://usaknifemaker.com/terotuf-od-gr ... erial.html)

I'mr really digging the blue demin TeroTuf I have. I might try to pair it with a light colored wood.

I really like the split material style scales, so I am trying to figure out what material to pair with TeroTuf. I'm thinking maybe a natural wood, but I'm not sure yet.

This is my first attempt ever to post photos, but here are some shots of my first attempts at scales. They're still pretty rough, but I'm in the steep part of the learning curve, so they're getting better with each iteration. No TeroTuf here yet, though. I've been working on cheap blanks in an effort to improve before working on my Mules.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea you could get it in single scale size, hadn't really checked yet since I just got my first scales in the last week or two. Your scales (and photo posting) look great! -- looks like you're ready to move on to any kind of knife or scales you like.

I'd like to put some TeroTuf on my Police 4, which has 1/16" scales. I could switch to the available 1/8" or maybe sand it down to 1/16." I didn't try to sway Nick at Fireside as to which color he'll use for the Manix XL scales, because I haven't decided which colors I'd like yet. I like the tan, brown, and OD, and I think his gray might be good for the XL, or the blue denim, partly because it might make it look a little less scary for some people and more like a camping knife or whatever.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Finally got to order some TeroTuf and hopefully if I can get a couple of the SPY27 mules, then maybe do a set of terotuf/blue shred carbon fiber combo if I can make a design I like. It's quite fuzzy :p

Grabbed some jade G-10 and Burlap OD Micarta for another project...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nice Larry! Excited to see how they look. You sure have a lot of great Mules in that collection of yours.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:06 am
Finally got to order some TeroTuf and hopefully if I can get a couple of the SPY27 mules, then maybe do a set of terotuf/blue shred carbon fiber combo if I can make a design I like. It's quite fuzzy :p

Grabbed some jade G-10 and Burlap OD Micarta for another project...
Nice! Looking forward to the finished product!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

legOFwhat? wrote:
I was thinking of TeroTuf with stabilized wood. I don't have any CF to use...maybe I need to order some. Could go all out and get GITD CF Shred...

I've got my first two removable mule scales in process now--Wenge/stabilized spalted Maple and Brown Canvas Micarta/Python Micarta. Hopefully they'll go well and I'll get to refine my mule process. I bought 4 of the PD#1 Mule before they went out of stock, so I'm hoping to get my technique down for the Spy27.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:50 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
I was thinking of TeroTuf with stabilized wood. I don't have any CF to use...maybe I need to order some. Could go all out and get GITD CF Shred...

I've got my first two removable mule scales in process now--Wenge/stabilized spalted Maple and Brown Canvas Micarta/Python Micarta. Hopefully they'll go well and I'll get to refine my mule process. I bought 4 of the PD#1 Mule before they went out of stock, so I'm hoping to get my technique down for the Spy27.
I've only worked with CF twice and didn't care for the experiences. It's nasty and toxic and nasty :p

I'd love to see you're removable scales once they're done! https://knifemaking.com/products/rivet- ... 2ef4&_ss=r This little bit really comes in handy if you don't already have one...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

That does look really useful. I've been drilling separately. Are you using 1/4 and 3/16 (.1875) for the Mule scales?

How much worse than G10 is the CF? I live in the middle of town and I'm at the point of moving my shop stuff to a vacant building in another part of town, because I worry about disturbing my neighbors with the smells when I sand G10 and epoxy in the back yard. I'm also not sure I want to be throwing the plastic dust around where my children and pets play. At least N95 masks are available again now.

I'm also having a bit of new learning curve using the (low end) tools I've bought for my house. I started in my Dad's shop and he's been doing high end custom woodwork for 50 years. I grew up with his tools, so I've never really appreciated how good they are. His vintage 1940s drill press is about a thousand times better than the low end model I bought from Lowes last week. And after having caught thousands of pieces of wood coming off his table saw as a teenager (that was a regular chore at our house) I'm only now starting to appreciate it. At least he gave me a nice sander to do the rough contour sanding--he literally just pulled it out of a cabinet and said 'here, take this one, I haven't used it since the 70s."

I roughed out some TeroTuf/Wood designs last night, and if I still like them tonight I'll start gluing them.

What are you using for liners? I've tried both G-10 and the cheaper fiber/paper stuff, and I find the cheaper stuff easier to work with. Is there a reason to use the G-10? Is it more durable in the long run?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:04 am
That does look really useful. I've been drilling separately. Are you using 1/4 and 3/16 (.1875) for the Mule scales?
I drill out them separately as well, I'll drill out the holes with a 3/16" drill bit then I use the Rivet tool (1/4" head (0.1875) 3/16") to countersink these https://knifemaking.com/products/cp861- ... 0256298120 along with the depth gauge on my drill press. I clamp the scale material to one side of the knife blank and use the holes in the mule to align the drill bit, then go back and countersink for the screw heads without the mule, just the handle material. To me that's been the most consistent way I've found and there is less chance to damage the Rivet bit on the hard steel of the mule. You can get a half dozen 3/16" drill bits for what you pay for 1 of the Rivet drill countersinks.

I've found that if I take one of the screws from the barrel sets and only work one hole a little at a time until I get that screw flush with the scale, and once the depth gauge on the press is locked into place then I'll finish the rest of the holes in the material. Having the holes pre-drilled it makes the Rivet bit glide and align right into the scale, just make sure you countersink the right side of the scale. I'll make a dot or simply write "side out" on the correct side, with a sharpie, just to avoid messing up (again! :rolleyes: ) I've ruined a couple of sets by countersinking the wrong side.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:04 am
How much worse than G10 is the CF? I live in the middle of town and I'm at the point of moving my shop stuff to a vacant building in another part of town, because I worry about disturbing my neighbors with the smells when I sand G10 and epoxy in the back yard. I'm also not sure I want to be throwing the plastic dust around where my children and pets play. At least N95 masks are available again now.

I'm also having a bit of new learning curve using the (low end) tools I've bought for my house. I started in my Dad's shop and he's been doing high end custom woodwork for 50 years. I grew up with his tools, so I've never really appreciated how good they are. His vintage 1940s drill press is about a thousand times better than the low end model I bought from Lowes last week. And after having caught thousands of pieces of wood coming off his table saw as a teenager (that was a regular chore at our house) I'm only now starting to appreciate it. At least he gave me a nice sander to do the rough contour sanding--he literally just pulled it out of a cabinet and said 'here, take this one, I haven't used it since the 70s."

I roughed out some TeroTuf/Wood designs last night, and if I still like them tonight I'll start gluing them.

What are you using for liners? I've tried both G-10 and the cheaper fiber/paper stuff, and I find the cheaper stuff easier to work with. Is there a reason to use the G-10? Is it more durable in the long run?
From what I understand neither is good for you. I use a respirator as both "dust up" something awful, I also run my shopvac w/ the catch bag (so it don't clog up the more expensive filter) right beside what I'm working on so it catches most of the dust coming off the sander. Maybe one day I'll get or make a downdraft table..

I started out using the paper/fiber liner material and didn't like it as much as G10. It will hold onto polishing compound and it's easier to gouge up. G10 has been easier for me and you can get many more colors and thicknesses. I'm liking the thicker liners as it really pops to me.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:19 am
After seeing Sharp Guy's native scales, I got curious how the seafoam would look after oiling. Here's a before and after with one thin coat of mineral oil

I like them both, but I think I like the faded look a little better.
Normally I'm a G-10 man most of the time. But I do like that one on the right with the nuclear teal color. I would even like to have a serrated C-60 Ayoob with that type of scales on it.

Also I would love to see an anodized Titanium handle in that color as well.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Anyone have issues with blade play using the delica scales after some use?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Monty wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:12 pm
None from mine. I carry it a few times a week, take it out of my pocket a good 20+ times each day it's carried, no issues yet!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Monty wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:12 pm
Funny you ask since I happen to have mine in my pocket today! Looking at it, I've got a tiny bit of side to side play. Looks like I just need to tighten my pivot a smidge and maybe add a dab of loctite.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Thanks, if I can't find myself a G-10 Police 4 then a set of these scales may be my next acquisition!
LSUisSEC

Post by LSUisSEC »

Have a set of lemon yellow scales coming for the rex45 Shaman i just bought. Cannot wait
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’m still surprised this stuff doesn’t show up in production stuff more often. Since the marginal price increase is way offset by ease of machining. Seems like it’d go well with the salt series since it’s non absorbent and grippier than g10 when wet.

Basically, terotuff lc200n shaman and native when?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I need to see if I can get Amalgam scales made from this....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 pm
I’m still surprised this stuff doesn’t show up in production stuff more often. Since the marginal price increase is way offset by ease of machining. Seems like it’d go well with the salt series since it’s non absorbent and grippier than g10 when wet.

Basically, terotuff lc200n shaman and native when?
Once the cost of the mold is paid for, FRN is way, way less expensive per piece and performs the best in the Salt series. Sal said they tested Terotuff back a few years ago and they found it lacking in some respect. He'd have the details if he is willing to tell us.
I still want to try it on my LC200N Mule.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
LSUisSEC

Post by LSUisSEC »

I ordered a lemon yellow set for my newly acquired Rex 45 Shaman. Cannot wait to see how they look and feel. Guess it will become the Leman.