C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by benben »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:37 am
benben wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:54 am
Thank you Sal, whatever you guys decide on will be great and I can’t wait! The Ayoob I found and have been posting pics of here....you have no idea how blown away I was when I uncovered it at a pretty pathetic little gun show, you just never know!

I’ve posted with Mas probably three different times over the last 10 years, the first two questions were +P ammo & civil issue related questions with being a CCL holder, he always responds back with an answer!

If screw together construction is the only thing we DON’T get from that list, then pinned construction it is, I can easily live with that! I have plenty of pinned Spyderco’s that are as solid as the day they were brand new!
as much as i hate that my manix 2 lw is pinned, i might still go for one of these because it's special and vg10 is likely good to go for general use as far as corrosion resistance goes. i still prefer screws for proper maintenance though.
Don’t get me wrong, I still definitely prefer screw together! As far as your pinned Manix LW, I have the S110V LW model. The difference between......say my pinned Manix LW and my old Japanese pinned G-10 Wegner Jr. is huge, the Wegner is much more sturdy! I think it’s just the difference in those two materials, and to give some credit to the Manix, the Wegner is a overall smaller knife. Usually smaller is stiffer / more rigid........ and we’re stiff talking about knives here folks! ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would still buy an SE version regardless of color or screwed/pinned construction. JD's enthusiastic crusades for classic models can hopefully break the doors off the hinges of reinvigorating old models for newer generations of Spydie fans. Perhaps the Breeden models could be next.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my manix is plenty sturdy. in fact, it's sturdier than any other lw knife i have, to include the native. it's my favorite knife. i just want screws because i can't access a fairly large portion of the steel to make sure it isn't rusting. even with mine being xhp, i did see some surface rust appear through the cbbl holes. i was able to clean it, but i still can't get to quite a bit of steel to check it and maintain it properly. this is why i won't buy any non-stainless manix lw (i don't know why they would even be produced to be honest). anyway, we agree that vg10 would be fine pinned, but screws are better.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:40 pm
benben wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:31 am
Let me see if I can help JD out here.......

Massad Ayoob C60, 2020/21 version!

***Japanese built lock-back, same overall dimensions as the original?
***VG-10 hollow grind blade steel in both serrated and plain edge, non-coated!
***Burgundy G-10 scales.
***Screw together construction.
***Larger opening hole than original.
***Incorporate the same gold bug logo on the clip as the original.

EDIT:
***Slightly thicker handle / scales to fill the hand more.
***Newest style spoon clip......with gold bug logo! :D

***Boye Dent and change to tip-up / tip-down carry.....of course those options are completely up to Sal and his team?

Well, what do you think? JD, did I miss anything?

Thanx BenBen,

And thanx for the link to Glock and Mas. Mas is certainly welcome here anytime. I've learned a lot from him over the years. ( guess I'm sort of a Glock guy ).

Right now, I'm going to use the list above + slightly thicker handle and modern hourglass clip.

I don't know how much we can do in the way of screw construction with the current tooling. I'm having that conversation now.

I have to throw it in tomorrow because the other company is waiting for me.

sal
Mr. Glesser you have no idea how many of us Spyderco fans are totally elated to hear this news :) Believe me the cult following of this great C-60 model is bigger than most people think. I was impressed on that one thread I ran on which I asked which 3 of the Classic Spyderco models would you all like to see returned>> the C-60 Ayoob was listed by at least over half of the respondents. It got more "thumbs up" by far IMO.

It's one of the very few Spyders I've ever owned and used that I've found it to be just as awesome in SE as it is in PE. Because with most Spyderco models one is usually better in one edge type than with the other. But not the C-60 it's a winner with SpyderTeeth or plain edge both. To me this is the high point of the year to this point as far as I'm concerned. You don't realize how grateful that several of us hard core Spyderco fans are to hear this great news :)

IF there's anything we can do to help or speed things up just let us know.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:45 am
I would still buy an SE version regardless of color or screwed/pinned construction. JD's enthusiastic crusades for classic models can hopefully break the doors off the hinges of reinvigorating old models for newer generations of Spydie fans. Perhaps the Breeden models could be next.
Hey dude if you think about it for a second>> how many of the older models especially in the GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2004 would do better than they did the first go-around with updated, upgraded materials?? Since those days we've been blessed with many newer/better blade steels and superior handle materials as well.

This could be the start of resurrecting some of the super classics with new materials to see how much better they would be. Oh for sure I still like the pipeline of newer models always being there too. But there is always something to be said for the models that put Spyderco on the map to begin with. And the C-60 Ayoob is one that still gets a lot of fanfare to this very day.

A new version of the C-60 Ayoob in SE & PE is just awesome news any way you look at it.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:55 pm
xceptnl wrote:
Hey dude if you think about it for a second>> how many of the older models especially in the GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2004 would do better than they did the first go-around with updated, upgraded materials?? Since those days we've been blessed with many newer/better blade steels and superior handle materials as well.

This could be the start of resurrecting some of the super classics with new materials to see how much better they would be. Oh for sure I still like the pipeline of newer models always being there too. But there is always something to be said for the models that put Spyderco on the map to begin with. And the C-60 Ayoob is one that still gets a lot of fanfare to this very day.

A new version of the C-60 Ayoob in SE & PE is just awesome news any way you look at it.
I would like to think that many Golden Era Spydies could be better the second go around. Sometimes I don't think it goes as planned. The Calypso sprint run is a great knife, but I like the original micarta better. That's not to say others couldn't far surpass the sales figures of their elder.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
benben

Post by benben »

I’d love to see an updated, more modernized C48 large Wegner up next in the queue!

I’m not the biggest liner lock fan but my Wegner Jr. has THE most satisfying sound when it locks open, it’s unlike any other Spyderco I own.

It’s one knife that absolutely needs a larger opening hole....it’s way too small!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Speaking of bringing back older models with current upgrades, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Starmate brought back with LC200N or maybe SPY27 steel.

Or the Wayne Goddard LWT, perhaps in a Salt model?

I don’t know. Just throwing some thoughts out there. :)

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

How about the mighty Tatanka!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:32 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:55 pm
xceptnl wrote:

I would like to think that many Golden Era Spydies could be better the second go around. Sometimes I don't think it goes as planned. The Calypso sprint run is a great knife, but I like the original micarta better. That's not to say others couldn't far surpass the sales figures of their elder.
Yeah I would have to tend to agree with you on that Brown VG-10 Sprint Run of the Calypso. For sure the original was better. Has Micarta become cost prohibitive? Because I've wondered why they abandoned Micarta handles they way they did?
As far as sales go for a second go-around>> I doubt if this next C-60 Ayoob will last longer than 2 months max. I'm scraping my pennies together as we speak. If he does go with screw construction on this next C-60 they might not even last that long.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:14 pm
Speaking of bringing back older models with current upgrades, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Starmate brought back with LC200N or maybe SPY27 steel.

Or the Wayne Goddard LWT, perhaps in a Salt model?

I don’t know. Just throwing some thoughts out there. :)

Jim
Speaking of the Golden ( no pun intended) Oldies category the JD Smith and C-56 Zowada both come to mind for my tastes as future Sprint Run candidates. Both models in a super blade steel would have my immediate attention.

Now those older Goddard models were interesting. However during the time they were here there were so many other GOLDEN ERA models hitting the stores. I do find it interesting however that from about 2002 to 2006 they were everywhere but now go try to find one. I heard there were just a very few made in full SE and I've heard they are fetching some big $$.

Which I why I think it's so important that most new Sprint Runs should be made available in SE & PE both. I'm talking to more and more collectors that are starting to focus on Spyderco's past SE models for their collections. Mainly because some of them are getting pretty rare as we speak.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spyderco should decide on a steel/handle combo of their own like a dealer exclusive would be, but do a run of a classic model once a year in that combo. There are so many models that I think newcomers would be interested in if they were made available, and if not this sort of maker exclusive would definitely appeal to collectors.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:23 pm
Spyderco should decide on a steel/handle combo of their own like a dealer exclusive would be, but do a run of a classic model once a year in that combo. There are so many models that I think newcomers would be interested in if they were made available, and if not this sort of maker exclusive would definitely appeal to collectors.
Would tooling be a problem? I seem to recall that makers either go out of business or the tooling needed to produce a particular model has been lost, damaged, or destroyed. I know next to nothing about producing knives at scale, but is there a way to preserve this tooling? I mean you could have a CAD file, which is easy to store, backup, and share. I typically think of CAD files working with CNC machines, which is a slow and expensive way to make knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:30 pm
Evil D wrote:
Would tooling be a problem? I seem to recall that makers either go out of business or the tooling needed to produce a particular model has been lost, damaged, or destroyed. I know next to nothing about producing knives at scale, but is there a way to preserve this tooling? I mean you could have a CAD file, which is easy to store, backup, and share. I typically think of CAD files working with CNC machines, which is a slow and expensive way to make knives.

Yeah I guess that's true, not every model can be ran again.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:55 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:30 pm
Evil D wrote:

Yeah I guess that's true, not every model can be ran again.
However I do believe that the models that have had Sprint Runs already like the C-54 Calypso, C-56 Zowada and JD Smith models just to name a few I'm sure would still have the drawings and tooling required. You really have to go back quite a while to find models that have had the tooling destroyed. Take the Vagabond, C-50 & C-25 Centofante models>> I do know that those are no longer possible.

I'm hoping that the "In House" designs that Sal & Eric designed would surely still have everything necessary. The C-54 Calypso, C-56 Zowada and JD Smith models were all done after the C-60 Ayoob was done in 2011 so I'm sure that those and the In House designs are still available for Sprint Runs.

I'm still holding out hope that the TEMPERANCE 1 model which was an In House design could still be done as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:15 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote: ooh I've just looked it up and now I want one. This desperately needs modern update, 20cv and a comp lock perhaps? Comon sal!
Im fine with a steel change, but keep the design the same. Large, no choil, backlock.
Long as it can be carried tip up then backlock is fine lol.
Well troops I was just going over some of the earlier parts of this thread and this good Brother here brings out an option that I personally never looked into that closely. It's the option of a "Tip Up, Tip Down" carry ability.

I've had so many Spyderco folders of each option and I've never let this option persuade or dissuade me one way or the other. But I do realize that many of you martial arts guys or extreme SD enthusiasts who are big on super quick deployment want it to where you can have it either way.

I need to look into that more. But I'm wondering what the rest of you feel about the possibity of a "Tip Up, Tip Down" carry set up? Actually I've found that with my dozens of hours of practice that I can deploy most of my Spyderco folder models pretty quickly just the way they came from the factory. But I want all of us to be happy and if I'm missing something important please share it with us.
JD :spyder: O
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Tip down on a long knife is faster to deploy. I prefer tip up, because it seems to carry a bit better in my pocket and I'm not going to be reaching for the knife in 99.999% of theoretical SD scenarios. So, deployment speed isn't much of a concern for me.

Four way would be fine on this model, we aren't worried about aesthetics as much as say, the Swayback.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:55 am
Tip down on a long knife is faster to deploy. I prefer tip up, because it seems to carry a bit better in my pocket and I'm not going to be reaching for the knife in 99.999% of theoretical SD scenarios. So, deployment speed isn't much of a concern for me.

Four way would be fine on this model, we aren't worried about aesthetics as much as say, the Swayback.
Great points for all of us to consider. Because in a true self defense scenario and I've been in a couple in the last 20 years>> things happen so fast that most people have no idea what to do.

I'm telling you all out of raw experience that if there is an immediate threat it happens so fast that unless you are a super-trained professional your first thought is "How Do I Get Out Of This Alive??". There was one time when I was threatened and I can assure all of you that the "Tip Up, Tip Down" option was the furtherest thing from my mind.

But on the other hand for you guys who are seriously trained in martial arts and professionally trained in self defense and a Tip Up or Tip Down carry will indeed help your situation then more power to you. But in most cases I even wonder if that would ever be an advantage?? But I'm open to all comments. And if I'm wrong and this option would enhance this superb C-60 design then I'm all ears and I'm more than glad to discuss it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is one knife that tip up really doesn't make sense to me, the shape of the knife when folded and clipped tip up will run the opposite direction of the curve of your pocket which doesn't seem like it would carry very nice. Maybe if you carry it tip up in your back pocket.

*edited to say tip UP in the first part.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:20 am
This is one knife that tip down really doesn't make sense to me, the shape of the knife when folded and clipped tip up will run the opposite direction of the curve of your pocket which doesn't seem like it would carry very nice. Maybe if you carry it tip up in your back pocket.
I've owned, used and carried my C-60 Ayoob models over the years and truthfully I personally can't think of even one time where a "Tip Up, Tip Down" option would have given me any advantage at all.

So far in this discussion I'm even wondering if this even worth considering for this newest Sprint Run possibility? Now I don't want to quell anyone's enthusiasm but for me personally it's not going to factor in at all.

But if any of you do have something to call our attention to concerning the rebirth of the C-60 for a Sprint Run then I'm more than glad to listen. To me this model has so many ergonomic features that I'm finding it superb just the way it is. But don't let me kill your conversation if any of you have anything to add :)