Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Post by sal »

Hi All,

While I must admit that I'm biased as the Rock Jumper is my design. I just received the first production sample of the Rock Jumper, both in plain edge and serrated edge.

The Front/mid-lock folder, created by Harvey McBurnette and a few of his friends. Popularized by Al Mar and taught to me by Al Mar has some real advantages.

1. The kick lands on the lock pivot which prevents the blade from hitting the spring or the spring holder thus dulling the edge.

2. The knife can be easily closed with one hand. Dropping the blade with the kick hitting the index finger and not cutting the finger.

These were real innovations when the lock was first created in the 70's.

We've been using this lock since the early 80's when we began making knives. Al Mar introduced us to his maker and we were graciously accepted by same. We are still working with that maker 40 years later.

One of the complaints of the models was that the distance from the kick to the handle was considered wasted space. Knife afi's wanted that spaced used. That's why we created the fore-finger choils which made the space useful and smoothed out the closed pattern. This also permitted the edge to come closed to the finger in the choil. Choked up if you will.

Then the complaint was; I don't like the finger choil. I want the edge to come to the handle.

This was easy to design with liner locks, compression locks, etc. But a mid-lock-back had it's own challenges. My solution was the "Handle-forward" design. This concept brings the edge to the handle and still permits the other advantages of the Mid-lock-back.

I worked on the design for quite a while and it's finally in production. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this design.

sal
ladybug93

Re: Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Post by ladybug93 »

i can't wait to try this design out. i've wanted to love the delica for its size and thin blade, but the handle shape doesn't work for me for some reason. the rockjumper looks like the perfect answer to that problem. i hope we'll get to see the leafjumper (or whatever it will be called if it exists) too.

i don't love every spyderco design, but i do love that you have always innovated and never stopped. it's really great to see that. the knife community owes you more than they realize.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This is the exact reason I’m excited about the Rock Jumper. I don’t buy many back locks for the other reasons described. I hope there are many sprints and variations planned on this platform if this becomes a success, i.e. Hawk Jumper!

Sal, I am truly astonished by what you and your team have achieved over the years!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Well Sal, considering you’ve done a bit for the knife enthusiasts’ scene over the years, you’re pardoned. :D :p :D

Seriously, I love to hear these talks from designers talking about the history and evolution and thoughts behind their designs.

(I’ve been really enjoying Michael Janich’s writing lately on the forum, along those lines.)

I’ll be trying an SE Rockjumper, I think.

Just for the record, while I do like that ‘cutting edge right up to the handle’ design, like my Caribbean has, I do really like the 50/50 choil as well - in fact it’s one of my favourite ‘Spydie signature’ design features.

Having a diversity of features in the entire lineup is great.

Thanks Sal, I’m looking forward to trying the design. Some of my family are in plant nursery work, and I’m thinking this design would be perfect for the daily tasks they perform. One of my brothers is also a rockclimber, so he will certainly appreciate that angle too.
Last edited by Cambertree on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Thanks for the note, Sal! I’ve just recently caught the SE bug (like a lot of people here) and I’m quite excited to try out the Rockjumper SE. While I don’t generally mind a choil, I always look forward to trying out one of your new designs!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm really excited for this one and I hope it does well enough to spawn a bigger version too. I'll be putting one to use as soon as I get my hands on it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I just want to know when I can get one. Or two. :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will be happy to get one in hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

As my love for the Seki models continues to grow I've become more open to jumping on new models in the base version rather than wait around for sprints/exclusives. The Endela and Police LW are next on my list to buy whenever there is a lull in new models and I can no longer resist the urge to make a new knife purchase. The Rock Jumper will be added to that list. But with the St. Nick's G10 Native, Z-wear Shaman, and K390 models on the horizon, it may be some time before I take the leap.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Will there be a K390 Rock Jumper?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am certainly one of those who has been advocating for a backlock knife with edge going back to the handle,even did one or two polls on this.
Add that it comes in the "thinner" 3mm blade stock (as opposed to the thicker 3.7 of PM2 and so on) AND FFG SE - another thing I´ve been beating the drum here quite a bit ;) and that I am a climber...
- Naturally I am very excited for this model, especially the serrated version of course!!

The upcoming Rock Jumper looks like the absolute perfect climbing- and smaller outdoor knife indeed, and the wharnie blade shape fits that purpose perfectly

Like David/Evil D I do hope for an additional larger version in the future, with about Endura cutting edge length.
This with a leaf shaped blade in SE could very well be my perfect general EDC knife, and would finally give us a (for me!) kind of "boosted" Caribbean - backlock instead of comp. lock, FRN instead of G10, 3mm stock instead of 3.5.... sounds perfect to me :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

All promised Sal :D
RockJumper looks very nice, I have not tried a wharncliffe blade before, and this could be a good introduction. And of course, add a full spyderedge on top of it :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Hi Sal,

As someone who got introduced to the world of Spyderco (and got sucked into it hook line and sinker) via the humble Delica, an upgraded mid/backlock design coming from you is always welcome news and would look forward to an opportunity to put this new knife to its paces in the future. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I’ll be getting one as soon as there is a version in zdp, k390, or something similar. Love the design!
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Full size handle without fingers grooves, 3" wharncliffe plain edge blade, cutting edge near to handle - these are the features of a good working/craftsman knife. I look forward to its appearance.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Seems like it's time for an E5.

(Or maybe skip the E5 and just make a 4" Rock Jumper. I was about to say hopefully it wouldn't take too long for a new SE Wharncliffe to hit the market, but SE Wharncliffe is the standard configuration for the Rock Jumper, so I guess it may as well keep the Rock Jumper name.)

I still have fond memories of the SE ZDP Endura, so a 4" ZDP Rock Jumper would hit the sweet spot for me.
Last edited by Joshua J. on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
brj

Post by brj »

No need for a pitch, I'm willing to try it out :) but ideally I'd want an Endura-sized sibling to follow, if sales justify it
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:36 am
No need for a pitch, I'm willing to try it out :) but ideally I'd want an Endura-sized sibling to follow, if sales justify it

As said already, that would be such a great addition!

I can very much see that all my folder needs would be covered then by a RockJumper XL SE leaf shape (main EDC), the upcoming Rock Jumper wharnie SE (as a climbing- and smaller utility folder) plus a Chaparral FRN in PE...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
carrot

Post by carrot »

After getting to try out the Astute I am beyond excited for the Rock Jumper. Though I love choils for putting big grips on small knives it's clear that we're ushering a new era of minimal-kick designs. I expect to get this one in PE this time since all of my wharnies are now SE, but I'm sure SE will follow.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:25 pm
As my love for the Seki models continues to grow I've become more open to jumping on new models in the base version rather than wait around for sprints/exclusives.
I find myself in the same boat. I hope you enjoy the P4LW as much as I do, and you enjoy the Endela as much as Wartstein.