Renegade sprint run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Renegade sprint run?

Post by samdasnake »

I’m just curious - who here would be interested in a sprint run of the Renegade (or Blackhawk)? It’s one of my favorite older Spydie designs. I love the Bowie like point and the handle shape. So who’d buy one?
Abyss_Fish

Re: Renegade sprint run?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

it's a good design, I think the native and the native chief sorta fill the same role though.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:12 am
it's a good design, I think the native and the native chief sorta fill the same role though.
Yeah I know it’s said that the native was the evolution of the BlackHawk but I really like the point and handle design of the Renegade and Blackhawk better.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I love the clip point on these models! An updated sprint would be great! Pics needed (Renagade top/Blackhawk bottom)

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I can already hear the squawking about the tip-down-only clip position. :p

In all seriousness, I prefer the Native and Chief. Not to yuck your yum, tho. :cool:
brj

Post by brj »

I'd be down for a pair (prefer the somewhat shallower, Military-like choil on these vs. the deep one on Natives). That clip point is sweet, too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I EDCed a RENEGADE model for about a year. I loved the blade design and the handle was extremely comfortable. However I do like G-10 handles a lot. I think the RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK models were the first Spyders to get G-10 handles.

A RENEGADE with a newer/better blade steel would be a "Must Buy" for me.

I also had one in combo edge and that knife was even good in CE.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The handles are the only part of the Renegade I didn't like. Very early linerless G10.

Liners make a backlock better, in my book
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the design. Very nice Spyderco take on a classic clip point bowie. What steel would you all like to see?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:43 am
I like the design. Very nice Spyderco take on a classic clip point bowie. What steel would you all like to see?
I would jump all over a RENEGADE model with M390, K390 or even M-4. Also few people know that the RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK models were made in Golden, Co at one time.

I loved the handle design myself. I would prefer the liners but when I EDCed mine for about a year I just didn't have many complaints other than the blade steel was a challenge to keep sharp ( GIN-1).

But a RENEGADE with a supersteel blade I would jump on immediately.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Might be better off asking for the Native with this wicked clip point blade! Something like Jazz did awhile back. Actually, this clip point blade on any of the native models would be awesome.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=56816
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:15 am
Might be better off asking for the Native with this wicked clip point blade! Something like Jazz did awhile back. Actually, this clip point blade on any of the native models would be awesome.

That’s a good point and would actually come to the same end result basically. A change in blade grind may be easier for a mode that they’re already all tooled up for. So let’s make a clip point native and native chief happen as a homage to the Renegade and BlackHawk?
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I used to EDC a Blackhawk and would love to see either (or both!) as a sprint run. Maybe updated to a full flat grind, tip up or down carry, and CPM-154 or PD1.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I love both models -- the Renegade in SE is an awesome cutting machine. I've always thought the Native Chief was the Renegade 2.0 -- if it was given a 4-way clip and a new steel, even S30V I would sooo be down for a SE & PE model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:49 pm
I love both models -- the Renegade in SE is an awesome cutting machine. I've always thought the Native Chief was the Renegade 2.0 -- if it was given a 4-way clip and a new steel, even S30V I would sooo be down for a SE & PE model.
That ain't no joke!! Glad you mentioned that about the SE RENEGADE being a cutting machine. I did have one for a brief period of time and sold it to a friend of mine who was in construction. Another one I kind of wish I would have kept :o

There is something about that blade design that makes it an ideal work knife.
araneae

Post by araneae »

An update would be cool. Reversible wire clip, improved lock...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:11 am
Dazen wrote:

That’s a good point and would actually come to the same end result basically. A change in blade grind may be easier for a mode that they’re already all tooled up for. So let’s make a clip point native and native chief happen as a homage to the Renegade and BlackHawk?

I can really see this Worker style blade on the whole family; Shaman, Chief, Native and Lil Native. Throw in some 3V for a nice strong tip and you’ve got one hellova sprint run!
Dane

PStone

Post by PStone »

I really like the idea of offering a clip point/worker shape native. I did own a Blackhawk for a bit. But I couldn’t get past the chamfered thumb hole. Too many slips when opening. So I let it go. So if there ever is a sprint, I hope the thumb hole is not chamfered.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm
samdasnake wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:11 am
Dazen wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=56816

I can really see this Worker style blade on the whole family; Shaman, Chief, Native and Lil Native. Throw in some 3V for a nice strong tip and you’ve got one hellova sprint run!
I like that suggestion!! :) I've never even considered a folder in 3V and the RENEGADE might be a great one to try it on.

Or any of Crucible's other great high tech blade steels for that matter. Also I would want this one made in GOLDEN,CO as well. I dare anyone to disagree with me ;)

Unless you might have a much better suggestion :)
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

JMM wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:49 pm
I've always thought the Native Chief was the Renegade 2.0
^^ This is the reality.

A Native Chief and a Native 5 with clip point blades are much more likely than Renegade and Blackhawk sprints I would think.

Much as I love the aesthetic of the hollow ground clip points I suspect flat ground blades are more in demand these days.

No jimping, no Boye dent, smooth rounded choil transition like the Military has - all my preferences but I'll have to do with a Native Chief variant I think. The upside will be that it will either have no teeth or a full set, not this compromise :rolleyes: