I think I caught SE fever

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JustinB

I think I caught SE fever

Post by JustinB »

Got my Endura wharnie SE a few days ago and have been having a lot of fun putting the teeth to use :D

I am loving it so much that I ordered a Pac salt SE and Ladybug hawkbill soon after to round out the collection as well! I also have a Delica wharnie SE on the way as I type.

I definitely caught something right?
Justin :spyder:
vivi

Re: I think I caught SE fever

Post by vivi »

That's a very well rounded trio of SE designs!
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Congratulations, you got the fever
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

awesome!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

How are you liking the longer wharncliffe in use? I think alot of people are hesitant to get this model, thinking a nearly four inch wharncliffe won't work well.

I've been absolutely pleased with mine :)
I see we have some similar taste in knives.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's not a bad condition to have :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:56 pm
How are you liking the longer wharncliffe in use? I think alot of people are hesitant to get this model, thinking a nearly four inch wharncliffe won't work well.

It's very high on my wish list. The Rock Jumper is first though and even though I haven't heard any actual confirmation I have a gut feeling we'll see a larger version of the Rock Jumper eventually too. If I can get this much blade in the RJ handle that'll be sweet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:

I am actually REALLY liking the longer blade. You can really get some power behind that tip for piercing tasks, and other things that wharncliffes generally excel at, while still not being unwieldy for other general use. I was actually doing some food prep and cutting on a cutting board earlier, and had no issues with it there.

it encompasses all the functional utility one could ask for, in the time tested, truly exceptional Endura platform, with an option for TEETH! What more is there to love? :D
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:

i'm just waiting for it to be a blacked out pacific salt 2 wharncliffe. :D
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:41 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

It's very high on my wish list. The Rock Jumper is first though and even though I haven't heard any actual confirmation I have a gut feeling we'll see a larger version of the Rock Jumper eventually too. If I can get this much blade in the RJ handle that'll be sweet.

I have a feeling the Rock Jumper will sell well. Looking forward to your thoughts on it when it comes to market :)

JustinB wrote:
I am actually REALLY liking the longer blade. You can really get some power behind that tip for piercing tasks, and other things that wharncliffes generally excel at, while still not being unwieldy for other general use. I was actually doing some food prep and cutting on a cutting board earlier, and had no issues with it there.

it encompasses all the functional utility one could ask for, in the time tested, truly exceptional Endura platform, with an option for TEETH! What more is there to love? :D
I completely agree with this :cool:

ladybug93 wrote: i'm just waiting for it to be a blacked out pacific salt 2 wharncliffe. :D
If that was available when I bought mine, I think I would have opted for it, especially if it was FFG!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:41 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

I have a feeling the Rock Jumper will sell well. Looking forward to your thoughts on it when it comes to market :)

JustinB wrote:

I completely agree with this :cool:

ladybug93 wrote: i'm just waiting for it to be a blacked out pacific salt 2 wharncliffe. :D
If that was available when I bought mine, I think I would have opted for it, especially if it was FFG!
actually, i momentarily forgot about the rockjumper. i'm waiting for that one to be a black salt and it will be mine.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Every time I read a thread like this one it brings back one of the better memories of my life. One day back in 2004 when I was working up in Missouri wetland project up in North Missouri I had to go the lower pond and release a water valve. I knew I was going to have a lot of vines, cattails and other undergrowth to contend with.

I thought I was grabbing my old AUS-8 Endura SE model. But by mistake ( best mistake I ever made) I took my newly acquired VG-10, SE Spyderhawk model. When I got to the pond I immediately realized that I grabbed what I thought was the wrong knife,. But much to my pleasant surprise I soon discovered how awesome of a serrated blade that Spyderhawk was equipped with. Even the really super thick cattail plants parted like they were being cut with a laser.

I guess you could say that was when my love of the Spyderedge got taken to a much higher level.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Also let's don't lose sight of the fact that serrations work better on some blade designs than they do on others. Evil D many months back discovered how efficient serrated edges were on Full Flat Grind blades. Also serrated Hawkbills are at least 10 times more useful than a PE Hawkbill.

For extremely rough jobs I tend to like fixed blades with Spyderco serrations ( Spyderedge). Which is why I want to see the TEMPERANCE 1 model to return so badly in SE & PE both.

For the Brother who started this thread>> you ain't seen nothing yet!! You're just getting started. Wait until you get a couple of years of hard use of serrated blades under your belt. Now you must learn to sharpen them properly. Because serrations are like plain edges in that respect>> the sharper you keep them the better they will perform. Although you can get by with dull serrated edges better than you can with a dull plain edge.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Before this thread loses steam I will reiterate that in order to be convinced of the great cutting capacity of the Spyderedge you absolutely have to seriously test drive at least a couple of Spyderco's SE models to get a serious feel for those serrated blades.
Using is believing when it comes to Spyderedges. Forget about any past opinions you may have had about serrations. Forget about any misconceptions you might have about different types of serrated blades until you put a serrated Spyderco model to serious use>> USING IS BELIEVING!!
Don't let anyone influence your opinion of the Spyderedge until you actually put one to hard use.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:00 pm
Before this thread loses steam I will reiterate that in order to be convinced of the great cutting capacity of the Spyderedge you absolutely have to seriously test drive at least a couple of Spyderco's SE models to get a serious feel for those serrated blades.
Using is believing when it comes to Spyderedges. Forget about any past opinions you may have had about serrations. Forget about any misconceptions you might have about different types of serrated blades until you put a serrated Spyderco model to serious use>> USING IS BELIEVING!!
Don't let anyone influence your opinion of the Spyderedge until you actually put one to hard use.
Good advice JD. I'm not the only one here who changed attitudes on SE after forcing myself to use it for an extended time.

I'll add to that, putting some time and effort into learning how to maintain your serrated edge (and it's really not that hard), and keep it sharp, will add exponentially to the enjoyment of the experience.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Great advise. One of the most economical ways to test drive a Spydie Edge is to get a Byrd with teeth. Your choice as to blade shape in 3 styles, but be forewarned that Sal is coming out with 3 or 4 new fully serrated Wharnies in the Byrd lineup.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

JD Spydo wrote:
Absolutely true. I've been carrying exclusively SE for about a week now, and I am definitely catching on to the sheer cutting performance that SE has to offer. I am still able to easily make the clean, precise cuts I need with the small PE portion on the tip of the blade, and get all the performance out of the SE portion on hard cutting tasks. I am becoming more convinced in the power of the SE edge every day now :D

Why didn't I hop on this SE train earlier?!
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

JustinB wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:53 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Absolutely true. I've been carrying exclusively SE for about a week now, and I am definitely catching on to the sheer cutting performance that SE has to offer. I am still able to easily make the clean, precise cuts I need with the small PE portion on the tip of the blade, and get all the performance out of the SE portion on hard cutting tasks. I am becoming more convinced in the power of the SE edge every day now :D

I think everyone who catches the Spyderedge bug has this though!

I can't see myself buying anything but SE models for the time being. I have nice expensive PE knives but I constantly find myself choosing the SE Endela over them...
/ David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sonorum wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:49 pm
JustinB wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I can't see myself buying anything but SE models for the time being. I have nice expensive PE knives but I constantly find myself choosing the SE Endela over them...
There are some, who refuse to choose. :p

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:58 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:49 pm
JustinB wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

There are some, who refuse to choose. :p

Yeah that thing looks like it has got teeth! :D
/ David