Hypothesis For Swayback's Pocket Clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kodiak PA

Hypothesis For Swayback's Pocket Clip

Post by Kodiak PA »

Just got the Swayback in and was looking at the prominent pocket clip that everyone hates and after opening and closing it for a while I realized something. ZT's with a RIL are notorious for not opening smoothly if there is any pressure on the frame lock. The Swayback is no different. If one places their middle & ring finger on the pocket clip it opens easily. I also notice that those 2 fingers fit very nicely on the pocket clip and I wonder if this was purposely designed to accommodate the opening of the knife. Did they initially use a flatter clip and felt this wouldn't facilitate the opening of the knife smoothly so they changed to a more proud clip so fingers would fit better? This is the only reason I can figure that they used this pocket clip.

Any pressure on the Swayback's frame lock and the knife will just not open. This is why I will never buy another ZT with a RIL unless it has a flipper. I've had other Spydies with RIL that didn't have this problem and I'd be interested in reading what the board thinks of my thoughts.

Other thoughts: The spyder hole is too small and I wish they didn't tap the handle for left hand carry since you can't open the knife with the left hand due to the frame lock. I like the blade shape and size. It is a beautiful knife and nicely done.

Thanks,

Greg
JRinFL

Re: Hypothesis For Swayback's Pocket Clip

Post by JRinFL »

I switched my Swayback clip to an aftermarket flat milled clip and, for me, it improved the one hand opening. Based on your comments and my experience, it would seem that hand size, finger length and strength all have a strong influence on how easy it is to open. More so than on more neutral designs.
On an aesthetic level, I find the flat milled clip to be much more attractive and it fits the design so much better, IMO.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There’s been quite a bit of discussion about Spyderco’s choice of the shiny 3-hole clip for the Swayback. First and foremost, while the other Slysz family members do have a wire clip, I understand they went with the hourglass clip instead to better mimic the clip Marcin Slysz used on his own custom Swayback. Now why they didn’t go with a matching stonewashed clip like this from a Nirvana (also out of Taichung) is beyond me...

Interestingly, this Nirvana clip sits a bit lower (closer to the scale) than the stock Swayback clip, which is quite tall actually. I haven’t compared it to other satin Taichung hourglass clips, but the Swayback clip is NOT a standard Taichung 3-hole hourglass clip for this reason.

I’ve also seen quite a few posts and stories on IG complaining about trying to fit alternative aftermarket custom clips onto the Swayback, and I can attest to that issue as well. None of the flat-bottomed custom clips like ones offered by Razor Edge Knives or Ripps Garage Tech fit because the Swayback’s scales are too rounded to get the clips to seat properly and get all three screws in. Lynch NW clips (my go-to) fit fine but the end of the clip extends too far past the end of the scale to be acceptable (IMHO), although I definitely see pics of them fairly often. I was absolutely possessed by the notion that the Razor Edge Knives clip best matched the Swayback styling, so I contacted Josh at REK directly and asked if he could help mount his clip onto the knife. He rounded out the underside of it just enough to allow it to seat properly on the scale and get all three screws in tightly. He also of course put a screamer of a fresh edge on it (he runs “Razor Edge Knives” after all ;)). I am extremely pleased at how it came out!

This of course has nothing to do with why they drilled the clip screw holes on the presentation scale since you pointed out how very lefty-unfriendly this knife is! It does bother me that they drilled those, especially after receiving a SpyOpera recently where they were able to restrain themselves from doing the same. While the Spydiehole is a bit small and difficult to access, I’ve adapted just fine to it and I think it’s again in keeping with the design of the prototype. That area on the presentation scale could always be modified to allow better access and easier opening. Overall, I think it’s truly a fantastic knife and it gives me great joy to carry it, especially with the clip squared away (pun intended)! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jdw

Post by jdw »

I removed the clip from mine and it allowed for a smoother action and easier opening. For me, the stock clip was too uncomfortable and slippery to get a decent grip without putting pressure on the lock bar. With the clip removed I can get a more comfortable grip farther back on the handle and keep two fingers around the pivot when opening. This relieves the pressure on the lock bar by keeping me from placing three of my fingers too far forward. There is an indention in the scale that really facilitates a solid grip and clipless carry. I do tend to open it with an automatic pinch grip this way though.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Danke

Post by Danke »

Sal commented in a different thread on a different site that the exact clip used was chosen by the designer. There was no follow up detail but I have an opinion. I would guess that there had been a different clip planned and the production of that clip was sabotaged by the COVID-19 pandemic. So they had to either indefinitely postpone the knife release and hold them in limbo on the production line or go with a Plan B clip and release them on schedule.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Danke wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:01 pm
Sal commented in a different thread on a different site that the exact clip used was chosen by the designer. There was no follow up detail but I have an opinion. I would guess that there had been a different clip planned and the production of that clip was sabotaged by the COVID-19 pandemic. So they had to either indefinitely postpone the knife release and hold them in limbo on the production line or go with a Plan B clip and release them on schedule.
Sorry, but Sal isn't known for misinforming to the customer.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

I have no issues with the stock clip. But out of curiosity I tried my only two other Taichung spoon clips. Advocate’s and GB2’s. They both fit perfect. But the GB2 is coated. One could strip and stone wash that one if they wanted. Anyways, pics. The clips are shaped differently and are different lengths though.
I thought someone may find this info useful, as I’m pretty sure you can order these directly from the SFO.
Danke

Post by Danke »

araneae wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:45 am
Danke wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:01 pm
Sorry, but Sal isn't known for misinforming to the customer.
That's why I believed him when he said the knife designer chose the clip. Is that unclear?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I guess I read what you wrote as: he said one thing, and you believed that a different thing was the truth.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Danke

Post by Danke »

It's a very annoying clip.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Danke wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:19 pm
It's a very annoying clip.
What's annoying about it?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Danke

Post by Danke »

It's a glaring aesthetic mismatch. It's like wearing crocs with a 3-piece suit.

Or this.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Danke wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 am

Or this.

“Aesthetic” seems to be your issue. We don’t all share them.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Danke

Post by Danke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:06 am
Danke wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 am

Or this.

“Aesthetic” seems to be your issue. We don’t all share them.
That's fine I'm not on a crusade. It's just that if someone asks me why I don't like the clip I'm able to articulate or illustrate my opinion.

I think the clips need to be more finished and more focused. They might be the first thing you see, they have to work effectively every day, and they are one of Sypderco's signature items.

Right now on knives like this the clips seem to be too much of an afterthought.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I certainly don't think the clip was an afterthought. I do think Radioactive is onto something with the matching stonewashed clip though, that looks great.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess they have prototypes with different types of clip. Maybe the version with a wire clip didn't offer enough retention in pocket. Maybe the version with a custom clip would have increased the price another $50. The hourglass clip probably offered something that the other options did not.
- Nick :bug-red