The Next Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: The Next Delica

Post by MichaelScott »

This clip works on a working knife and is just fine. Would like a pointy tip. I can get VG10 scary sharp.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
cali

Post by cali »

IMO what is needed is better lockback, with no blade-play - like in Chaparral or Native.
The blade/handle ratio could be better.
Also deep carry wire clip is a good idea.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd support working to improve the lockback action and a slightly deeper wire clip. I don't think we need liners. Look at the Salt series doing just fine. Not to mention the BM Bugout series which appears to be killing it right now with its flexy handles. I'm okay with the tip as is, and if I wanted pointier, its easily accomplished.

Trying to switch out lock types or add a choil would make a different knife altogether and alienate a large group of core users.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Clips are accessories so the option of wire would be ok. An improved back lock would be nice.

Perhaps do a sprint or flash with the wire clip, and the pointy tip. See how those are received.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:56 am
Clips are accessories so the option of wire would be ok. An improved back lock would be nice.

Perhaps do a sprint or flash with the wire clip, and the pointy tip. See how those are received.

How could they improve the backlock? I have zero complaints there and I've carried an Endura and/or Delica nearly every day for the past year.

The Endura/Delica/Dragonfly are all pretty much perfect in my eyes. I really can't think of anything to change. I'm not sure I would want the wire clip or not. I really like wire clips on some models, but the spoon clip and position on the Delica and Endura suit me just fine.

I put this in another thread about the Delica and Endura for what I would like to see out of these models, but it is more related to materials and steels and not really the design.

1. G10 sprints in a popular guaranteed to sell steel like Cruwear
2. CRU-CARTA sprints
3. The return of white FRN
4. More non-zome GITD in maybe some colors like GITD blue, pink, and orange
5. FFG LC200N Delica and Endura salts. These would differ from the regular Salt and Pac Salt by having liners and the pointier tip.
6. The continued use of non-clad imported steels like Cruwear and expanded to include CPM-4V, CPM-3V, AEB-L.
7. Blacked out versions of the basic VG-10 PE models and more TiCN coated blades in general on the sprints and exclusives
8. All of the above applied to the Endela and Dragonfly as well! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think the newer back locks are a bit better on knives like the Chaparral. I have come to appreciate a wire clip on some knives. For example, it works very well on my Schempp Bowie and is almost invisible.

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:10 am
I think the newer back locks are a bit better on knives like the Chaparral. I have come to appreciate a wire clip on some knives. For example, it works very well on my Schempp Bowie and is almost invisible.

But better how? I'm just wondering what can be improved or where you find it lacking? :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Perhaps it is just that Taichung has tighter tolerances and better machining for the back lock then does Seki city

Team Innovation
cali

Post by cali »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:24 am

How could they improve the backlock? I have zero complaints there and I've carried an Endura and/or Delica nearly every day for the past year.
It is easy, just copy the technology from Taichung to Seki ;)
To be fair, Delica blade and lockbar are AFAIK stamped and moving to laser cutting and machining is a huge change. On the other hand, the price level is not so low to be suprised by that. I think that at least some of the sprint run blades (made of high carbide volume stells) are laset cut and machined.
James Y

Post by James Y »

All of my older Seki back lock models had a little play in the locked position. None of the ones I’ve bought since around 2007 have had any blade play at all. Maybe I’ve been lucky; then again, you could say that about any knife manufacturer. I’ve had brand new USA-made Buck lock backs that had lots of blade play. And back in the early days of the Native, I handled several examples (Golden-made), and IIRC, all of the samples I handled had blade play.

Overall, in my experience, the tolerances on the Seki back locks have improved.

Jim
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I like the Delica. I really do. In fact like many of us here a Delica was my first Spyderco. A photo of it appears up above in this thread. However, even after having three or four others (my favorite so far being the blue with black hardware) I still prefer my standard basic black G10 Para 3. My new one only required a couple of small RCH tweaks to allow it to flick open and drop closed. I love the shape of the handle and the feel of the knife and I think the blade will handle just about anything. So until that changes I don’t think I will be buying another Delica, much as I like them.

Team Innovation
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

JustinB wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 am
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:41 pm
After seeing the St. Nicks Delica, one for the best upgrades for the Delica would be a G-10 version. :)

The Dragonfly already has a G10 version, so I think the Delica is due for a scale upgrade.
The Delica and Endura both had G10 options in the past, the thing is the G10 models from Japan ended up being INCREDIBLY expensive to produce, so they were discontinued
All,

I wonder if micarta is a viable option in lieu of G10? There is numerous Japan manufactured kitchen cutlery available with micarta handles. On the surface, it seems do-able! :)

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:44 pm
JustinB wrote:
nerdlock wrote:
After seeing the St. Nicks Delica, one for the best upgrades for the Delica would be a G-10 version. :)

The Dragonfly already has a G10 version, so I think the Delica is due for a scale upgrade.
The Delica and Endura both had G10 options in the past, the thing is the G10 models from Japan ended up being INCREDIBLY expensive to produce, so they were discontinued
All,

I wonder if micarta is a viable option in lieu of G10? There is numerous Japan manufactured kitchen cutlery available with micarta handles. On the surface, it seems do-able! :)

CG

It should be doable. There was a Micarta Jester in the past, but not sure if that was the same maker as the Delica, Endura, etc. I'd also prefer unbuffed Micarta like the recent Cru-Carta Shaman rather than the polished Micarta of the old Burgundy Jester. I'm really hoping for a run of Cru-Carta Enduras, Delicas, Dragonflies, Jesters, and Police. I'd buy a few of each.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:44 pm
JustinB wrote:
nerdlock wrote:

All,

CG
Micarta would definitely interest me!
Justin :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

If they can make a Delica 5 with a handle more like the Rockjumper, I'd be all for a new Delica.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I was reluctant to try the Delica line for a long time, even though I have developed a strong preference for the combination of spydie hole and mid/back lock. It just seemed a little long in the teeth (now, to my defense it's 30 years after all), the blade to handle ratio wasn't amazing, which is something that can trigger my OCD for no rational reason. And having a quite narrow hand, I was afraid the handle would be to long to fit me properly.

When my SAR folder needed a replacement sometime back, I was kind of set on getting a Hinderer XM-18 3", but something wasn't quite right, so I did a proper evaluation on what I actually wanted in a SAR folder, and ended up with a Salt 2 instead.
Usually when I receive a new knife that I've never seen or held IRL before, I instantly find little (or big) nit picks that I would liked to have changed, but on this knife - that I purposefully had avoided for such a long time, there wan't really anything wrong.

OK, cutting edge to OAL still isn't amazing, but utility vs price and weight is great. I have become so found of this knife, I can't imagine using any other folder for SAR. And it's steadily eating into the pocket time of other outdoor activities as well.
It's always a risk when you try to repair something that isn't broken. I wouldn't change much about the Salt/Delica, but some minor, very careful tweaks could improve it slightly.
The RockJumper mentioned above looks very interesting, but if it's a successful design, maybe it's better to have more variations of the RockJumper with other blade shapes and steels?
Holland

Post by Holland »

Texaspoff wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:45 am
After carrying may delicas again I began to compare and think about it's design. I am curious what everyone would like to see in the next iteration of the Delica. For me, I would like to see a wire deep carry clip option. While I'm not a slave to the compression lock, it would be cool to add a compression lock version to the Delica line.

I have no issues fidgeting with my Delicas as they are, a compression lock version would undoubtedly pull a ton of the bugout carriers. IMO with the deep carry clip and compression setup, the Delica would be a better option than the Bugout, especially value wise, and the vast choice of blade steels available.

The only drawback I can see is making the Delica a bit more competitive with the Para 3 Lightweight. I still prefer the Delica's footprint over the Para 3 lightweight, especially since your getting the same usable blade length but in a thinner package.

Is this a decent idea, or am I just being ridiculous?

TXPO
I love the delica as is. Only change I would make is adding a wire clip and moving the model to taiwaan so the f&f can go from a 6/10 to a 9/10 (that's never going to happen haha).

You should see if you can find a Mantra 1. It's my favourite knife and checks a lot of your boxes
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE