The comings and goings of a SwayBack

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

The comings and goings of a SwayBack

Post by MichaelScott »

My brand new SwayBack arrived this morning. By early afternoon I had an RMA# for it’s return. It will go tomorrow.

I have never had a Spyderco knife that so didn’t work for me. It’s big. I knew it was big because a lot of people said so but plenty of others said it was large but that was not an issue. For me, it’s an issue.

Opening it with one hand was an issue. A real issue. Now. I have had many Spyderco knives but I never had one that I just could not swing open. With my thumb. Two handed was ok, but it has a Spydie hole for one handed operation.

I finally got the blade to move a bit with effort and fiddling with the thumb on the hole. Then the knife popped out of my grip whilst pushing on the Spydie hole, flipped through the air partially open and took a slice out of my thumb pad.

Well, that was it. Adios Señor SwayBack you are going back to where you came from tomorrow.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
samdasnake

Re: The comings and goings of a SwayBack

Post by samdasnake »

I appreciate your feedback on this. I’ve read a few people saying that the thumb hole is too small. Do you have particularly large hands? I love Swayback design but I also want a knife I can open one handed. What have been others experience?
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

samdasnake wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:42 pm
I appreciate your feedback on this. I’ve read a few people saying that the thumb hole is too small. Do you have particularly large hands? I love Swayback design but I also want a knife I can open one handed. What have been others experience?
I have large hands and you definitely can not open it like a regular Spyderco knife by putting your thumb in the hole and pushing upward. I would compare it to trying to open my Mantra 2 or Positron like a regular knife instead of using the flipper. Unless you can really dig your thumb in deep you cannot push it open. The only way I can open it is either with a hard right thumb flick or a left index flick.
jdw

Post by jdw »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:22 pm
My brand new SwayBack arrived this morning. By early afternoon I had an RMA# for it’s return. It will go tomorrow.

I have never had a Spyderco knife that so didn’t work for me. It’s big. I knew it was big because a lot of people said so but plenty of others said it was large but that was not an issue. For me, it’s an issue.

Opening it with one hand was an issue. A real issue. Now. I have had many Spyderco knives but I never had one that I just could not swing open. With my thumb. Two handed was ok, but it has a Spydie hole for one handed operation.

I finally got the blade to move a bit with effort and fiddling with the thumb on the hole. Then the knife popped out of my grip whilst pushing on the Spydie hole, flipped through the air partially open and took a slice out of my thumb pad.

Well, that was it. Adios Señor SwayBack you are going back to where you came from tomorrow.

It's an issue. It is beautiful and poorly designed for real use.
Last edited by jdw on Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely a knife as soon as I saw it, saw some issues. The price though, that was the main turn off for me. You could get a nice G10 Manix AND a Para 3 LW for the price of this. When both of those knives have raving reviews of form/fit/function over the Swaybacktotheshop. People tend to get so hyped over something new, that they tend to forget the factors that matter most in a knife. Glad you're able to get your refund Michael.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, that wasn’t a problem. It is basically new. I cleaned off the blood. I could have flogged it on eBay to make a few bucks I suppose but I don’t like the idea. I would rather pay for return shipping and insurance so a knife nut who wants to try one at a sane price will have the opportunity to get one from a reputable dealer.

Beautiful concept with a serious flaw in my opinion.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't have large hands, and it still took me a few hours to figure out how to open the Swayback one-handed. I can now do it consistently by using the meaty part of the tip of my thumb and pushing the Spydiehole sidewards until the detent breaks. I agree that access to the hole is cramped.

I have to wonder though if the original concept was for a traditional two-handed opener, in which case they could have just put a token mini-Spyderhole and avoided much of the disappointment experienced by users.
Attachments
swayback thumb hole opening.jpg
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

samdasnake wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:42 pm
I had some intermittent issues with mine at first but seems to have cleared up now. Not sure what was up with it. I had no issue using the end of my thumb to pull the blade out but using the pad of my thumb was a no go. Then the next day I picked it up and it opened fine. A couple days later it wouldn't open again. Then after pulling the blade out with the end of my thumb a few times I could open it with the pad of my thumb again. It's been fine ever since. It opens like any other Ti frame lock I have
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:33 pm
Definitely a knife as soon as I saw it, saw some issues. The price though, that was the main turn off for me. You could get a nice G10 Manix AND a Para 3 LW for the price of this. When both of those knives have raving reviews of form/fit/function over the Swaybacktotheshop. People tend to get so hyped over something new, that they tend to forget the factors that matter most in a knife. Glad you're able to get your refund Michael.
What matters most to you in a knife may not be the same as what matters to someone else. A $40 model from the value or Byrd lines will cut things as well as a G10 Manix or Para 3. Some people are content with their Tenacious, Manix 2, or Para 3 while others want something a little nicer like the Swayback, Paysan, Drunken, etc. A basic car will get me to work as well as an exotic sports car. Some people don't want to pay for the higher priced models and that's understandable. It's all a matter of what makes you happy and what you can afford.

Not sure what issues you saw but the Swayback is a beautiful knife and worth the price (IMO) considering the contoured Ti handle and other details. The hollow ground Wharncliffe blade is thin behind the edge and cuts very well. It seems to work really well as a knife
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’ve got large hands and have no problem opening it the same was as all my other Spyderco knives. I suspect you were pushing on the lockbar at the same time as you were trying to open it. Naturally I can’t be sure of that but it sure sounds like it to me.

Tyler over at GP Knives was kind enough to open it in this video three different ways.

https://youtu.be/9sjuL3Av3hQ
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
araneae

Post by araneae »

Look at the tiny hole compared with the Endura and the small thumb cutout for access. Looks more like a knife designed for looks than convenient use. And I have to say, the pocket clip does not match the knife at all. I am not a Slysz fan generally, but this one is even less appealing than most.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bad luck, Michael!
I always put the Slysz collaborations in the “functional art” category. Beautiful and beautifully made, for sure.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

It's the small, very circular thumb cutout for accessing the lock that gets me on all the Slysz knives. I've only owned the Spydiechef, but that little cutout was pretty uncomfortable for me in actual use, and I doubt I'd like it any more on the Swayback. This as opposed to the large oval-shaped cutouts of the Military's liner lock access, which might be the most comfortable liner/frame lock I've ever used. The Slysz designs are beautiful - no doubt about that - but functionally not for me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:00 am
Bad luck, Michael!
I always put the Slysz collaborations in the “functional art” category. Beautiful and beautifully made, for sure.
I have to agree. I want to like them, and I do, but their functions users don’t work for me.
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:11 am
It's the small, very circular thumb cutout for accessing the lock that gets me on all the Slysz knives. I've only owned the Spydiechef, but that little cutout was pretty uncomfortable for me in actual use, and I doubt I'd like it any more on the Swayback. This as opposed to the large oval-shaped cutouts of the Military's liner lock access, which might be the most comfortable liner/frame lock I've ever used. The Slysz designs are beautiful - no doubt about that - but functionally not for me.
Yep, the Military is awesome. Bit too big for me though. I had opening issues with the Techno 2 as well.

Team Innovation
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The nature of this knife is not to be a general use knife, and of course not a tactical knife. It is meant as gentleman's folder, so speed of deployment is not a primary concern. That said, I can deploy one-handed easily now. I almost sent mine back, but stuck with it and now it is one of my favorites. I was toying with a small Sebenza at the time to see if the hype was true, but chose this instead because it was not the same old thing. It is not a neutral design, so for some it will be a No-Go even if some things were changed.

Edited to add: I also predict that it will be in high demand after it is discontinued.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well it is a Slycz design so the demand will be, and is, there. I love quality folding knives, but a knife is a knife is a knife. If I can’t carry and use it as intended, I have plenty of others that I can. Having a Spyderco with a Spydie hole and not being able to quickly open with one hand when needed is not acceptable to me. Cutting myself whilst trying to figure out the secret was just too much. I guess Slysz hasn’t figured this out.

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This knife would be better with a backlock as it would be easier to open, and coukd be designed around it I believe. It is certainly the best looking knife I’ve seem in a long while.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think it looks, especially the old traditional look of the sway back jack slip joint, is very appealing, however the execution and size leave much to be desired.

Team Innovation
Red

Post by Red »

Also not a fan of the smaller thumbholes, My Civilian definitely needs a larger one but its still great.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Seems to me that form should follow function.

Team Innovation
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Well, to be fair to both Slysz and Spyderco, many of us can open it easily one-handed by making a simple change to our opening method. If you are unwilling to make that change, that is on you, if you cannot make the change due to some physical reason, then this is not the knife for you. Is it easier to open versus a traditional swayback? Absolutely! Is it as easy to open versus a PM2? No, not close. Not every knife is for every person, no need to run something down however.
Not that it matters to anyone but myself, but I have had no issues opening any Spyderco due to the hole diameter being too small. I wear large sized gloves for reference. I personally feel hole size has gotten out of control making the blades too tall and wasting expensive and valuable steel. It also increases costs as there is more waste.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001