Talking about your traditional knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
spyderg

Re: Talking about your traditional knives

Post by spyderg »

Yes. They seem like s small operation. Their knives are really well made. Perhaps not as refined in some ways as gec but they've got titanium liners, mosaic pins, bronze washers and premium steels.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m expanding my little collection (we knew it was going to happen didn’t we, Precious). Adding a Great Eastern Cutlery 62 Easy Pocket Congress in unicorn ivory, and a 33 Conductor (clip main with a pen secondary) in Sambar Stag.

Photos later.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

An A. Wright and Son Lambsfoot with Ironwood covers, special factory order by Jack Black.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:13 am
I’m expanding my little collection (we knew it was going to happen didn’t we, Precious). Adding a Great Eastern Cutlery 62 Easy Pocket Congress in unicorn ivory, and a 33 Conductor (clip main with a pen secondary) in Sambar Stag.

Photos later.
Well, finances dictate otherwise. If anyone gets a Conductor, please post photos.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sadly, I lost my #92 Talon 2 weeks ago. That knife had a story to tell, not to mention thousands of hours of pocket time. I am pretty sure I left the slip laying on the checkout counter of our local pizza shop and obviously the next person in line liked it enough to keep it. When I went back an hour later the people who work there (whom I trust to be honest individuals) said they hadn't seen it or had anyone turn in anything. Let's have a momnent of silence.....
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

xceptnl wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:24 am
Sadly, I lost my #92 Talon 2 weeks ago. That knife had a story to tell, not to mention thousands of hours of pocket time. I am pretty sure I left the slip laying on the checkout counter of our local pizza shop and obviously the next person in line liked it enough to keep it. When I went back an hour later the people who work there (whom I trust to be honest individuals) said they hadn't seen it or had anyone turn in anything. Let's have a momnent of silence.....
That is a real bummer. I like them but the after market price is too steep for me. BTW, spoke with my friend Austin of Traditional Pocket Knives. His batch of 33 Conductors in stag sold out in 4 minutes. I didn’t get one because I decided to save some $s.

Team Innovation
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:53 am

That is a real bummer. I like them but the after market price is too steep for me. BTW, spoke with my friend Austin of Traditional Pocket Knives. His batch of 33 Conductors in stag sold out in 4 minutes. I didn’t get one because I decided to save some $s.
The feeding frenzy for traditionals at stores like KSF (who's sales model I like) is absolutely absurd. Their individual photos and purchase links for each individual stag or wood grain pattern makes sure you know exactly what you are getting, but I think I have missed no less than of the last traditionals I've tried to snag. CK can be a challenge at times too. And the capitalist world holds true as they immediately show up on the secondary market at significantly inflated prices. So the troubles of sprint runs and limited editions may actually be worse with traditionals than modern folding knives.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:44 am
An A. Wright and Son Lambsfoot with Ironwood covers, special factory order by Jack Black.
Yum! And fantastic knife!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I got one of the jigged bone 33s a couple weeks ago, I didn’t fancy any of the stags. I’m very picky on my stag knives and this time around it was an absolute crap shoot. Thank god I have a great relationship with a local dealer who holds one of each new release for me if I want it.
Josh
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Didn't realize this thread had gone dormant for so long...

PXL_20210325_040300213.jpg

PXL_20210325_042718771.jpg
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

My old NYKC Hammer Brand two-blade jack knife.
Both blades were hand reground to a shallow convex with a ~30 degrees inclusive microbevel.
Blades were hand forged from crucible steel:
Old image of the New York Knife Company situated on the Walkill River:Image
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

kwakster wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:08 am
My old NYKC Hammer Brand two-blade jack knife.
Both blades were hand reground to a shallow convex with a ~30 degrees inclusive microbevel.
Blades were hand forged from crucible steel:
Old image of the New York Knife Company situated on the Walkill River:Image

Wow, that is stellar. Very nice. :cool:

I have to admit that i am somewhat envious.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone know where you can actually buy the Enigma knives from Poland? I've looked on their website periodically, but they never seem to actually have any in stock.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have never owned a GEC but I really am fond of the recently released Crown Lifter and last year's Oil Field Jack (Micarta or Bone with wrench inlay). If anyone knows of a good place to get one of these at cost please let me know. I would love to try my first GEC without paying the crazy markups. I guess I need to research and get as good with the GEC drops as I am with the Spyderco drops! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 am
I have never owned a GEC but I really am fond of the recently released Crown Lifter and last year's Oil Field Jack (Micarta or Bone with wrench inlay). If anyone knows of a good place to get one of these at cost please let me know. I would love to try my first GEC without paying the crazy markups. I guess I need to research and get as good with the GEC drops as I am with the Spyderco drops! :D
I wish I could tell you where you can actually buy one when they drop. It is beyond difficult these days unless you are friends with a dealer. Everyone else has to scramble to beat the bots the flippers are using. Just know this, some dealers add a markup on first sales which is frustrating until you realize the mark up is much lower than what the flippers charge.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

This delightful Michael May Lambsfoot in Bocote is a very generous surprise gift (among others) from a forum friend.

PXL_20210606_153029405sm.jpg

It arrived in the mail yesterday, although it was slated for delivery on Monday. Needless to say i was very excited-- last night we met a friend at a local block party celebrating the life and music of Prince and of course i carried the M. May.

PXL_20210606_012459469sm.jpg

This is my first Lambsfoot and my first Sheffield made folder. I have some excellent Henry Taylor chisels and gouges and quite happy to have a rather traditional Sheffield knife in the accumulation.