2021 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

Re: 2021 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by DutchBlades »

Forum Name: DutchBlades
Product Name: Spyderco Reinhold Rhino (C210CF)

The Rhino is a knife which has somehow flown under the radar for quite a couple of us.
Despite the fact that we can't all like LBK's, the ergonomics will suit a larger variety of people than it's given credit for.
This model went above and beyond my expectations, and will find it's way into my pocket on many occasions.
Combining a great steel, premium materials, and an exotic bladeshape turned this into one of my favorite small knives.
Simply a great carry for the office and general EDC, which is why I decided to pay some tribute to this little pocket gem!

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 am
the only part that really bothers me is that it seems there are at least two cases of people posting a second entry under a different name. i think that's a real shame.
I agree with this point, since posting a second entry under a different name is a clear rules violation. I hope nobody thinks that I'm one of those people, since my wife and I both entered the contest (and joined the forums) at about the same time, and we took our pictures at the same general location while on vacation this summer. I presume it's not a problem for two different people from the same household to enter the calendar contest since the rules don't prohibit it, but if it is, one of us can withdraw. I've tried to be pretty active on the forums since I joined, but my wife has been dealing with a looming publication deadline and the start of a new semester, so she hasn't had time to post (or sleep, for that matter).
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Knifeaholic

Post by Knifeaholic »

C209G Spyderco ClipiTool Rescue.

Reliable High Performance in a budget friendly package.

Tasteful, exquisite and unique.

Only for connoisseurs!
Attachments
Clipitool Calendar Contest 2021
Clipitool Calendar Contest 2021
Beachknife

Post by Beachknife »

Hi everybody!, l love Spyderco and l have many in my collection. My photo is some of the beautiful Costa Rican fruit that l cut with my Spyderco z-cut knives. Thank you for the opportunity to participate.

SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

Forum Name: SpyderCuse
Model: Lil' Native in CPM Rex 45 Sprint Run(C230GBORE)

"The Creator"

smallnative.jpg
Here's my submission for the calender! I know this looks pretty mundane compared to all the others but there's a secret in this one. The building in the background is Crucible and In the center of the Spyder hole is the front sign at Crucible. I blurred it out for looks and copyright purposes. I'm proud that my hometown is where the best blade steels are made along with the fact that my favorite knife company uses their steels and even creates steels with them!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SpyderCuse wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:51 pm

"The Alchemist"

smallnative.jpg

Here's my submission for the calender! I know this looks pretty mundane compared to all the others but there's a secret in this one. The building in the background is Crucible and In the center of the Spyder hole is the front sign at Crucible. I blurred it out for looks and copyright purposes. I'm proud that my hometown is where the best blade steels are made along with the fact that my favorite knife company uses their steels and even creates steels with them!
Haha, too funny... last year I considered something similar!! But as you said, the copyright situation made me think of something else. Where did you take that pic from, the fairgrounds? Trying to figure it out but it's tough with the blurred background.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SpyderCuse wrote:

"The Creator"

smallnative.jpg

Cool! You might consider posting the original pic in the Photo of the Week thread so we can see the sign, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:55 pm
SpyderCuse wrote:

"The Alchemist"

smallnative.jpg

Haha, too funny... last year I considered something similar!! But as you said, the copyright situation made me think of something else. Where did you take that pic from, the fairgrounds? Trying to figure it out but it's tough with the blurred background.
Haha. Right at the entrance of the walkway going over 690. It's the only place I could make it work really.
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 pm
SpyderCuse wrote:

"The Creator"

smallnative.jpg

Cool! You might consider posting the original pic in the Photo of the Week thread so we can see the sign, too.
Great idea, going to do that now!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Takuan wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:36 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
the only part that really bothers me is that it seems there are at least two cases of people posting a second entry under a different name. i think that's a real shame.
I agree with this point, since posting a second entry under a different name is a clear rules violation. I hope nobody thinks that I'm one of those people, since my wife and I both entered the contest (and joined the forums) at about the same time, and we took our pictures at the same general location while on vacation this summer. I presume it's not a problem for two different people from the same household to enter the calendar contest since the rules don't prohibit it, but if it is, one of us can withdraw. I've tried to be pretty active on the forums since I joined, but my wife has been dealing with a looming publication deadline and the start of a new semester, so she hasn't had time to post (or sleep, for that matter).

Don’t let them drive you off. You are both within the letter of the rules as well as the spirit of the rules. If Spyderco were worried about this, they would have made the rules so that only members with a minimum numbers of posts could enter. Sal tries to keep an inclusive community here, not one limited to a select few.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

SpyderCuse wrote:
The building in the background is Crucible and In the center of the Spyder hole is the front sign at Crucible. I blurred it out for looks and copyright purposes.
Nice picture! It might be worth asking Kristi about whether or not an exception could be made for the Crucible logo. It would seem a bit strange to be able to include the “CPM REX 45” blade stamp and yet not the Crucible logo. I suppose it pays to be cautious, though.
--Socrates
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

Takuan wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:47 pm
SpyderCuse wrote:
The building in the background is Crucible and In the center of the Spyder hole is the front sign at Crucible. I blurred it out for looks and copyright purposes.
Nice picture! It might be worth asking Kristi about whether or not an exception could be made for the Crucible logo. It would seem a bit strange to be able to include the “CPM REX 45” blade stamp and yet not the Crucible logo. I suppose it pays to be cautious, though.
I was thinking that originally, but I kind of like the secrecy of it/look of it.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:47 pm
Takuan wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

Don’t let them drive you off. You are both within the letter of the rules as well as the spirit of the rules. If Spyderco were worried about this, they would have made the rules so that only members with a minimum numbers of posts could enter. Sal tries to keep an inclusive community here, not one limited to a select few.
i would definitely never try to drive someone off. i would think that's clear from my posts here. i've even helped "the competition" and encouraged more of it, to include getting a friend to create an account and enter the competition. so, your implication is unwarranted and unnecessary. i understand though. apparently mine was as well. i apologize for the misunderstanding. i'd never discourage a couple sharing interests... you're lucky to have that.
i'll say it again, i'm very happy to have the opportunity to combine two of my hobbies. i'm very happy to see participation in the contest, especially because it's less fun with less competition. and i think it's really cool of spyderco to do this for us.
good luck to all who submitted photos. there are lots of great entries and i look forward to seeing the calendar and competing again in years to come.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Takuan wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
Awesome that your wife loves Spydies, too!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Cheers to everyone entering, so many great pictures!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

bbturbodad

I'm a huge fan of wharncliffe blades for EDC use, but for some reason never gave the Delica a shot until this year. The thin blade stock and light weight made these two knives instant hits for me. I use the SE model for most of my daily tasks and the HAP 40 version when I need to make precision cuts. As these quickly became my most used knives I decided to dress them up with micarta scales and took this photo a few minutes after installing them. I like the way the lighting and background colors complement the knives so I decided to enter this as my submission this year.

Good luck to all! Great pics again this year!
-Turbo
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Here's my submission for this year

I'm a big fan of the Sage series and the Sage 4 had been kind of a grail knife for me. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to purchase one earlier this year. My submission picture was taken on the northern shore of Grapevine Lake in Texas. I chose this picture because I really like how the Arizona Ironwood handle and polished Ti bolsters look against the sandstone.

Screen Name: Sharp Guy

Product Name: C123WDP Sage 4

Good luck to everyone again this year! A lot of wonderful pictures have been submitted. The 2021 calendar should be great!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:20 pm
bbturbodad

I'm a huge fan of wharncliffe blades for EDC use, but for some reason never gave the Delica a shot until this year. The thin blade stock and light weight made these two knives instant hits for me. I use the SE model for most of my daily tasks and the HAP 40 version when I need to make precision cuts. As these quickly became my most used knives I decided to dress them up with micarta scales and took this photo a few minutes after installing them. I like the way the lighting and background colors complement the knives so I decided to enter this as my submission this year.

Good luck to all! Great pics again this year!
I was wondering what you were going with this year, as I look at that great shot of yours from last year everyday this month! Another great submission!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Sorry, ladybug93. I wasn’t trying to call you out there. I quoted you because I really do share your concerns about possible rule violations and wanted to preface my comments by agreeing with you on that issue.

JuPaul, I’m lucky to have married someone who shares my love of knives. I suppose I encouraged it a bit when I bought her a Ladybug when we were dating back in college, which led to a Delica, and a Walker Lightweight, and a Dragonfly... [ad infinitum]. :)
--Socrates
zemogKA

Post by zemogKA »

Model: Para 3 lightweight mix

Going all-in for the October image, this is my DLC P3 LW with a Rex 45 scale swap. I've been wanting a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive in black/orange to carry during October but I fell in love with the Para 3 LW when it was released. It has all the qualities that make Spydero unique. I think it's the "Spydercoiest", Spyderco in production.
Anyway, I knew I just had to make my own Halloween themed LW. So I bought two knives and Frankenstein'd them into this.