Mid 90's Spyderco's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Richardm1981

Mid 90's Spyderco's

Post by Richardm1981 »

Hello guys. My name is Richard and I'm new here and I'm sorry in advance if this doesn't belong in this area but I was wondering if anyone can give me a general idea of how much these 3 knifes I have are worth. I was thinking about selling them and don't want to charge too much or too little either. All I know is that these 3 knifes are from the mid 90's and I have a paper that shows the model names. Thank you! Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Attachments
IMG_4903.jpg
IMG_4902.jpg
The Meat man

Re: Mid 90's Spyderco's

Post by The Meat man »

Hi Richard! Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your questions but there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here who can. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Richard,

Welcome to the forums!

If they're in mint condition, perhaps the same as the new version runs for now. Roughly, $80 for the Endura, $70 for the Delica, $60 for the Dragonfly. If they're not mint, less than that. The new versions of these knives are better, and while some people do like to collect from the 90s, it's not exactly like FRN Spydercos have gold filigree or anything. You can check this stuff yourself by searching eBay, they should list what these old knives were sold for most recently.

I've never seen a folding knife record slip like that before. Are you required to register folding knives where you live or something?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The value problem you would have with those models is that they are quite abundant and still relatively easy to find. The Spyderco models that tend to accrue a lot of value over time are most usually specialized, one of kind type models or rare collaborations or models that were only available for a very short time. Personally you might have better luck buying a Gold Membership over at www.bladeforums.com and putting them up for trade. I've had great luck trading at Bladeforums over the years.

Those are great, well made knives so don't get me wrong. But they sold hundreds if not thousands of those over the years. Now there are also abundant models that might be made with a rare blade steel selection>> for instance I have an older Merlin model made with VG-10 blade steel>> those are about as rare as an honest politician>> actually it's only one of two I've ever seen.

If I were you I would just keep them and learn about Spyderco's models and in time you'll find someone interested in them. You never know there might be a collector that needs one of those to complete his series and you might do well by just waiting.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I've never seen a folding knife record slip like that before. Are you required to register folding knives where you live or something?
A.G. Russell sold a knife record inventory system in small binders [4x6] with loose leaf pages. That is what is in the picture. They sold firearms pages also.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:37 pm
Hey Richard,

Welcome to the forums!

If they're in mint condition, perhaps the same as the new version runs for now. Roughly, $80 for the Endura, $70 for the Delica, $60 for the Dragonfly. If they're not mint, less than that. The new versions of these knives are better, and while some people do like to collect from the 90s, it's not exactly like FRN Spydercos have gold filigree or anything. You can check this stuff yourself by searching eBay, they should list what these old knives were sold for most recently.

I'd agree on the Delica and Endura values. Dragonfly might bring a bit more, as it's the early "Gen 1" version with the narrow sabre ground blade and rounded thumb ramp. That version was only made for a couple years so, while not truly rare, it's relatively uncommon compared to the others. As with most "collectible" Spydercos, "like new, with original box" will bring the highest prices. "Like new, without box" will bring about 10% less, and things go down hill from there.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

kennethsime wrote:

If they're in mint condition, perhaps the same as the new version runs for now. Roughly, $80 for the Endura, $70 for the Delica, $60 for the Dragonfly.

Ah those were the days. Delica is $84 now
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:48 am
kennethsime wrote:

If they're in mint condition, perhaps the same as the new version runs for now. Roughly, $80 for the Endura, $70 for the Delica, $60 for the Dragonfly.

Ah those were the days. Delica is $84 now
Just had a look at BladeHQ, you're right! My how time flies.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Richard,

Welcome to our forum.

This is a very astute group with regards to knowledge about blades and steel. If you spend too much time here, you'll get sucked in....be careful.

sal